Fw: Latest News from Franciscans International

  • TeX Albert
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2007

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 12:39 PM
      Subject: Latest News from Franciscans International

      Dear Sisters and Brothers,

                  Attached to this email are the News Briefs of Francisans International.  To help bring you closer to the activities of Franciscans International and the Franciscan family worldwide, we willl send you these news updates every month.

      We start thus with the months of September and October, which have been busy, but immensely fruitful for us across the globe.  At the United Nations, our year-long advocacy efforts paid off - we succeeded in bringing about the appointment of a Special Rapporteur on Contemporary Forms of Slavery.  In Lebanon, slavery is an issue close to our Sister Lilly George's heart - the Franciscan Family, along with Caritas Lebanon, have long struggled for the rights of victims of human trafficking.  Br. Bernd Beerman kick-started our Environment Program for the year by meeting with the Franciscan family in Australia.  While in the office, we held a conference to discuss the harrowing plight of Australia's neighbour, West Papua.

      You can read about all these events and more in the attached News Briefs, which we hope you will find informative.

      On a final note, hot off the press - just last week, we launched our book, World Poverty - Franciscan Reflections.  A collection of stories written by both human rights experts and Franciscans at the grassroots, this anthology gives voice to your concerns for those suffering from the misery of extreme poverty.  By offering fresh perspectives on topics such as development, human migration, and the environment; this volume provides a solid foundation from which to address the problem of poverty. We are distributing the book free of cost.  To order a copy, and to read about our book launching ceremony, please visit our website - www.franciscansinternational.org

      Pax et Bonum,

      Franciscans International