Re: A dream comes true #2

  • yellowfinch821
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- In sfocommunicationcenter@yahoogroups.com, "berrienisd"
      <berrienisd@...> wrote:

      > The long-awaited Motu Proprio comes soon!! Deo Gratias!

      What is this and what does it mean?
    • Richard Chamberland
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
        I had the same question
        Richard

        <berrienisd@ ...> wrote:

        > The long-awaited Motu Proprio comes soon!! Deo Gratias!

        What is this and what does it mean?

        Personnalisez Yahoo! à votre goût Essayez Mon Yahoo!

      • westheimer82
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
          I believe the Motu Proprio is a document Pope Benedict has already
          signed giving wider permission for celebration of the Tridentine
          Latin Mass, using the Missal of 1962. As I understand, "motu
          proprio" means on "his own initiative"; that is, the pope is giving
          this permission on his own initiative. The document is to be public
          in the near future.

          The Serra Club I'm a member of in Topeka, Kansas, had a day of
          recollection in June, which was given by a priest of the Priestly
          Fraternity of St. Peter, which is in harmony with Rome and offers the
          Tridentine Latin Mass using the Missal of 1962.

          Our day of recollection began with a Tridentine Latin high Mass, sung
          in Gregorian chant by a choir from nearby Maple Hill, KS, where the
          Fraternity of St. Peter operates a school and chapel. The fraternity
          also offers the Tridentine Latin Mass every Sunday morning at 11:00
          at St. Joseph's Church, off downtown Topeka.

          Jim, sfo, Sacred Heart Fraternity, Emporia, KS

          --- In sfocommunicationcenter@yahoogroups.com, Richard Chamberland

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
            Jim, you are right

            Latin Mass Document Revealed to Bishops
            VATICAN CITY, JUNE 28, 2007 (Zenit.org).- Representatives from various episcopal conferences got a sneak peek at the much-awaited "motu proprio" letter on the Latin Mass.

            Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, Vatican secretary of state, presided over a meeting "in which the content and spirit of the announced" document of the Holy Father were discussed, a Vatican communiqué reported.

            The "motu proprio" (on one's own initiative) letter contains norms on the use of the missal promulgated by Pope John XXIII in 1962.

            The Holy Father also arrived to greet those present at the meeting, spending nearly an hour in conversation with them, the Vatican reported.

            The communiqué added: "The publication of the document -- which will be accompanied by an extensive personal letter from the Holy Father to individual bishops -- is expected within a few days, once the document itself has been sent to all the bishops with an indication of when it will come into effect."

            Le tout nouveau Yahoo! Courriel
            Consultez vos fils RSS depuis votre boîte de réception.
          • Marzio Apolloni
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
              I don't have any feelings either way. I was young enough to remember
              the priest with his back to us and that's about it. Because I'm
              Italian I can struggle through the latin. The poor in the days of St.
              Francis could not read, write, or understand Latin and in many ways
              Latin and the written word was a way to enforce the feudal system in
              place and keep the poor down. So, in the vein of simplicity, I think I
              will continue to enjoy the current Mass, with Francis on my mind :)

              --- In sfocommunicationcenter@yahoogroups.com, westheimer82