Re: Parting shot from the Shadows

  • David Ferris
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
      Chris L'Etoile wrote:

      > This on top of the death of MST3K earlier in the week. Blood
      > will out.

      Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! My world has fallen apart.

      And things were going so well up to this point.

      This is the first I've heard of it. MST3K really got axed? I wondered
      why they hadn't had a new episode in months...

      DLF

      David Ferris Senior Technical Staff Member
      dferris@... AT&T Labs Research
      Room B015, 973-360-8664 http://www.research.att.com/info/dferris
    • David A. Vandenbroucke
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
        Ah, well. I got bored with MST3K long ago. The woman character and the
        apes were really tedious. In fact, every time they changed characters it
        was for the worse.

        --Dav
        davanden@...
      • David Ferris
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
          Dav writes:

          > Ah, well. I got bored with MST3K long ago. The woman character and
          > the apes were really tedious. In fact, every time they changed
          > characters it was for the worse.

          I'd never seen any of the episodes *until* the woman character (Pearl
          Forrester) and the apes started, which was when the show started airing
          on the Sci Fi Channel a couple of years back. I'd read and heard about
          the show almost from the time it started, but until recently it was
          never on a channel that I got. I kept hearing about how the Joel shows
          were much better, but I've never seen any of 'em. Now I'm going to have
          to start tracking down the old videos. Well, I needed a new obsession
          anyway.

          Sigh.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
            On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, David Ferris wrote:

            > to start tracking down the old videos. Well, I needed a new obsession
            > anyway.

            Painting 1:2,000,000 minis of all the motorboats used in World War II
            isn't enough for you?

            --Dav
            davanden@...
          • Denny Graver
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
              >> This on top of the death of MST3K

              OK, I give up. MST3K ? (Confused non cable Brit :})
            • Christopher Weuve
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 1999
                On Mon, Mar 1, 1999 at 2:32:53 PM, "Denny Graver" <cyberdruss@...>
                wrote:

                > >> This on top of the death of MST3K
                >
                > OK, I give up. MST3K ? (Confused non cable Brit :})

                Mystery Science Theater 3000. The premise is that a guy (the first one was
                named Joel) has been isolated by the locqal Mad Scientists to this space
                station (the "Satellite of Love"), where they experiment on his mind by
                showing him (and the two robots he made from spare parts) bad movies. The
                show consists of the movie with the silhouettes (sp?) of the three of them
                sitting in the front row of the theater; the three keep up a running
                commentary regarding the movies as they play. There is also an intro, a
                finale, and a couple of intermissions, where they interact with each other and
                the Mad Scientists. For example, during one episode an Alien-like creature is
                loosed aboard; while Joel and Tom Servo fought the Alien, Crow T. Robot, who
                was webbed to the wall, kept saying "Did I mention that you should kill me
                now?"

                In it's heyday it was the funniest thing on television, but it lost some oompf
                when series co-creator Joel Hodgdon (sp?) left.

                See http://www.scifi.com/mst3000/ for more info.

                chrisw
              • Neal Sofge
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 1999
                  >the three keep up a running
                  >commentary regarding the movies as they play.

                  So it's sort of like having a little piece of a SF convention in your house
                  every week.
                • Christopher Weuve
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 1999
                    On Tue, Mar 2, 1999 at 3:47:48 PM, Neal Sofge <Neal_Sofge@...> wrote:

                    > >the three keep up a running commentary regarding the movies as they play.
                    >
                    > So it's sort of like having a little piece of a SF convention in your
                    > house every week.

                    Yes, except these guys are, in general, as funny as they think they are.

                    chrisw
                    caw@...
                  • Denny Graver
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 5, 1999
                      >From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@...>
                      <SNIP>In it's heyday it was the funniest thing on television, but it lost
                      some oompf
                      >when series co-creator Joel Hodgdon (sp?) left.

                      Thanks, Chris. Todd filled me in off list - whereas before I knew nothing;
                      now, I feel I know too much! ;0

                      Den