Re: Online Book -- Military Geography

  • dom@cybergoths.u-net.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
      --- In sfconsim-l@y..., "Christopher Weuve" <caw@k...> wrote:
      > On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 12:27:03 PM, dom@c... wrote:
      > > 56kbps modem @home?
      >
      > This is why computers never sleep. [grin]
      >
      > Of course, in North America most people pay a flat fee for
      unlimited connect
      > time. I know that it didn't used to be so in other parts of the
      world, but I
      > don't what the current status is.

      There is freephone access now in the UK, but the servers tend to be
      slower, and less reliable. Broadband isn't really an option yet
      unless you're in a cable area (and I'm not) and the telcos are pretty
      slow at rolling out ASDL etc. I can get ISDN reasonably cheaply, but
      at the moment (being away from home during the week) it's not cost
      effective to do so.

      My ISP has been pretty good so far (I've used them for 6 years and
      had little in the way of problems) and I probably want to keep the
      address ;-)

      Having downloaded _Military Geography_ and looked at it I've actually
      ordered the book as a paperback too. The thought of printing 450
      pages puts me off, and I spend too much time looking at the iBook as
      it is (and I never liked taking that in the bath ;-) )

      Dom

      Dom
    • Christopher Weuve
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
        On Thu, Nov 1, 2001 at 3:52:49 AM, dom@cybergoths.u-net.com wrote:

        > I can get ISDN reasonably cheaply, but
        > at the moment (being away from home during the week) it's not cost
        > effective to do so.

        Interesting, as my perception is that ISDN is all but dead in the US. (Let me
        add that I am no longer associated with that industry, so I haven't been
        paying attention.

        > Having downloaded _Military Geography_ and looked at it I've actually
        > ordered the book as a paperback too. The thought of printing 450 pages
        > puts me off,

        I'll probably print it at two-pages per side, double-sided, and cut the
        thickness down to 112 pages or so. I also might refrain from printing the
        whole thing.

        > and I spend too much time looking at the iBook as it is (and
        > I never liked taking that in the bath ;-) )

        Know what you mean. [grin]

        chrisw
      • Fat Messiah Games
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
          > I spend too much time looking at the iBook as
          > it is (and I never liked taking that in the bath ;-) )

          There was a guy on the NewtonTalk mailing list who would put his MessagePad
          2100 in a ziplock bag and read his email while soaking in the tub. If he
          was careful about it, he could use the stylus through the bag...
        • Patrick Morvik
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
            > > Of course, in North America most people pay a flat fee for
            > unlimited connect
            > > time. I know that it didn't used to be so in other parts of the
            > world, but I
            > > don't what the current status is.
            >
            > There is freephone access now in the UK, but the servers tend to be
            > slower, and less reliable. Broadband isn't really an option yet
            > unless you're in a cable area (and I'm not) and the telcos
            > are pretty
            > slow at rolling out ASDL etc. I can get ISDN reasonably
            > cheaply, but
            > at the moment (being away from home during the week) it's not cost
            > effective to do so.

            Here in Norway there is a monthly fee of about 18$ for normal
            telephone service. In addition they charge 5 cents plus 2-3 cents per
            minute. Some telcos operate 'free' servers where they only get the
            standard telephone fees. They (used to?) have a capacity far lower
            than the number of customers so there seems to be a good chance your
            dial-up won't get through, and servers tend to be a little slow. ISDN
            is fairly common and costs about 27-36$ per month. ADSL is fairly new,
            but is easily available in urban areas (about 50$/month for the
            cheapest versions).

            --Patrick S. Morvik
          • Dominic Mooney (iB)
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2001
              At 01:49 +0000 3/11/01, "Patrick Morvik"
              <patrick.morvik@...> wrote:
              >Here in Norway there is a monthly fee of about 18$ for normal
              >telephone service. In addition they charge 5 cents plus 2-3 cents per
              >minute. Some telcos operate 'free' servers where they only get the
              >standard telephone fees. They (used to?) have a capacity far lower
              >than the number of customers so there seems to be a good chance your
              >dial-up won't get through, and servers tend to be a little slow. ISDN
              >is fairly common and costs about 27-36$ per month. ADSL is fairly new,
              >but is easily available in urban areas (about 50$/month for the
              >cheapest versions).

              I pay £14 GBP a month for my ISP, and have had problems connecting
              maybe 4 times in the last 5 years. On top of that I pay a minimum of
              £0.05 GBP for a local call to connect, plus a further amount per
              minute.

              ISDN would cost me £40 GBP month, plus a slight surcharge on my ISP.

              The UK is a bad place for broadband at the moment.

              Dom

              ----dom@cybergoths.u-net.com----
            • Nyrath the nearly wise
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2001
                Fat Messiah Games wrote:
                > There was a guy on the NewtonTalk mailing list who would put his MessagePad
                > 2100 in a ziplock bag and read his email while soaking in the tub. If he
                > was careful about it, he could use the stylus through the bag...

                There is a PDA bag called the Aquapac
                http://www.aquapac.net/
                It is guaraneed for 30 minutes of immersion at
                a depth of 10 meters, and you can use the stylus
                through the bag.