97781Re: [sfconsim-l] Atomic Rocket novels

  • eric henry
    May 1, 2014
      I would agree with that. My only point is that once you killed the pilot to affect the brain dump there is no need to kill additional pilots. When the pilot personality comes back from a mission they would maintain the experience. If needed this could be your revised base copy from which future pilot personalities are copies.

      To me this makes an interesting story as a base personality evaluates over time and is compared to other base personalities who have learned from different experiences. Sort of a butterfly effect where a base personality evolves based on choices since the base image was created.

      On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Michael Simon <mjsimon6626@...> wrote:
      On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Leszek Karlik <leszek.karlik@...> wrote:
      > On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 21:56:44 +0200, eric henry <ehenry0623@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> It can make sense but why do it more than once? For example, you have
      >> just uploaded the complete personality of Chiggy von Richtofen and
      >> consequently destroyed the brain. Why not copy that personality to All
      >> of your missiles?
      >
      > Ah. Yes, that makes no sense, after digitisation mind is inherently
      > copy-able. :-)

      There was a really cool BSG episode about this (late second season, I
      think).  The idea was that the Raiders each had a conciousness that
      beamed back to the resurrection ship, just like the humanoid ones, but
      they were fighting a small contingent that was out of range of the
      nearest r-ship, so the raiders were changing tactics.  The antagonist
      was a raider they had nicknamed "Scar" that was eating up their
      pilots, and there was the idea that it must have the experience of
      hundreds of victories and defeats over time.  The show didn't really
      explore the idea that there must be at least a few other copies of
      that particular raider mind.  I think if it was like the humanoid
      Cylons, though, even copies are all a little different because they
      start having different experiences.  I think in general, there's a
      good reason not to just have your "best" pilot copied into everything.
       Like life, you want some variation in your base data pool, because if
      everything is the same, they will all have the same responses and
      weaknesses, and an unexpected something can compromise your whole
      missile/fighter/drone fleet.  Variation isn't necessarily efficient,
      but it's durable.

      Michael

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional