97769Re: [sfconsim-l] Atomic Rocket novels

  • Stephen Rider
    Apr 30, 2014
      Something about quantum states IIRC.

      The pilots can "eject" and if the ship survives, go back to the ship and survive their fighter's destruction.

      I agree about the kindle version, if I had a real live version, I'd feel obligated to edit it.

      On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM, eric henry <ehenry0623@...> wrote:

      It can make sense but why do it more than once? For example, you have just uploaded the complete personality of Chiggy von Richtofen and consequently destroyed the brain. Why not copy that personality to All of your missiles? The novel specifically describes the practice of using lasers to transport personalities from ship to missile and back. So why keep killing more people to get more missile pilots? Just copy the Ace that you have.

      I do like the idea of drone combat as I use it in my game. But the author insists that these drones require a disembodied pilot and further asserts that these pilots must be uploaded and die before they can serve.

      the novel has several interesting ideas and plot points mixed in with a lot of crap. Get the kindle version, it's not worth a tree

      On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Leszek Karlik <leszek.karlik@...> wrote:
      On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 19:37:24 +0200, eric henry <ehenry0623@...>
      wrote:

      [...]
      > So you mean to tell me that we can upload someone's entire personality
      > but the only way it works is if the body dies?

      This can make sense, if the only scanning method with sufficient resolution
      to map the brain is destructive.

      --
      Leszek 'Leslie' Karlik

      <*> Your email settings: