97763Re: [sfconsim-l] Atomic Rocket novels

  • Carlo Fedeli
    Apr 29, 2014

      I have also read a few books on the atomic rocket novels. Here is my take.

      Craig Allen: the excerpt and the concept is beautiful, but I disliked the implementation, especially the quantity of coincidences toward the end of the book and what I feel is an inaccuracy concerning missiles launched dead and drifting ships.

      Mark Kalina: I actually liked the concept of the space fighter with pilot sans body, as well as the laser riding space fighter, though I have trouble on understanding how the laser can stay focused on a manoeuvring fighter a few light seconds away. The world building and its society are quite interesting and I hope for a sequel.

      John Lumpkin are quite good, even though the first one feels a little bit more realist than his latest work.

      The book I liked the most so far is Andy Muir's "The Martian", as the plausibility level is high (barring a few things) and you really get to root for the main character. The humour is pretty good as well.

      On 29/04/2014 19:37, eric henry wrote:
      I've been reading the seal of approval book list and i've had mixed results

      Craig Allen's _Here Be Dragons_ is good enough that i wanted a sequel. Yes there were things i didn't like but also some interesting bits. The use of Hebrew was very interesting, i haven't seen that since Joe Haldeman's _Forever War_.

      I tried to like Mark Kalina's _Hegemony_.  Our hero is voluntarily killed so that she can inhabit cyberspace and also the missiles that are used in space warfare. Erm, what? So I guess our missile pilot gets around the high acceleration problem by not giving her a body. So you mean to tell me that we can upload someone's entire personality but the only way it works is if the body dies?

      John Lumpkin's works are a must read. I eagerly await his third installment.

      _A Sword into Darkness_ by Thomas Mays is also very interesting. There are items i didn't care for but the after taste isn't too bad. Indeed the Antagonists are extremely interesting. Very well worth your time.

      I am 36 pages into Craig Roberson's _Further: Beyond the Threshold_ and already i hate it. Our hero wakes up 10,000 years in the future to find himself a stranger in a strange land. The problem i have is the author's mechanic. THe character speaks in first person present tense. Who is he talking to? Everyone who would understand his 20th and 21st century colloquialisms is dead. He's not keeping a journal or diary.

      Oh and Los Angeles gets wiped out by a meteor. And after that Florida secedes from the Union. What? Get rid of LA with an earthquake; that's far more plausible that a meteor. If you really need a meteor than have it strike the Pacific and use tsunamis to wipe out LA. The Pacific is a far more plausible target than any city not named Trantor.

      For a little throwback reading please open Andre Norton's _Star Rangers_. Yes her writing style is sometimes a little too tidy but she does convey the proper awe and wonder at the climax of the book. Best of all the kindle download is free from Amazon. Mine was attached to the download of _Star Soldiers_ which was also free,

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic