bike for 3 year old

  • lmotamedi
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
      My son is getting ready to graduate from his skuut. I wanted to find out if anyone has any suggestions for a first "real" bike. We're hoping not to spend a ton since he's likely to outgrow it so fast. Thanks for any suggestions. -Lainie
    • Jeremiah Moore
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
        Interested in same question - but for a 4.5 year old who is outgrowing his beloved specialized hotwalk (another pedal-less bike, and one I'd heartily recommend)

        A friend suggested looking at specialized bikes - aluminum frames (light presumably) and good quality parts.  Probably not that cheap, but can be resold after using for a year or two.

        Same friend has a small Marin bike for their kid, which looks cool but is actually a little too heavy and klunky than would be ideal for the little guy.

        Interested in anyone's experience.

        -jeremiah

        On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:03 AM, lmotamedi <lmotamedi@...> wrote:

        My son is getting ready to graduate from his skuut. I wanted to find out if anyone has any suggestions for a first "real" bike. We're hoping not to spend a ton since he's likely to outgrow it so fast. Thanks for any suggestions. -Lainie

        jeremiah moore | SOUND | jmoore@...
        http://www.jeremiahmoore.com/

      • Tim Hurley
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
          Lainie,

          My daughters started off on 16" bikes with training wheels. Since your son has been riding the Skuut, perhaps he's ready to start without the training wheels. Nonetheless, there seems to be lots of supply of good- to high-quality kid's bikes available on craigslist, for reasonable prices. We picked up a Trek and a Schwinn, each of which were below $50 and served our girls well until they outgrew them. In fact, with a new seatpost on one, we were able to extend its functional life while its rider grew. One thing I'd suggest being careful of is avoiding too small of a front sprocket - I've seen a lot of kid's bikes with very small sprockets that prohibit them from riding as far or fast as their growing legs would let them as they get bigger. I don't have a good rule of thumb for this (i.e., "nothing below x inches diameter"), but perhaps others will. The other warning is to avoid bike sold through discount or department stores (e.g., Target, Walmart, etc.) - these tend to be low quality and don't benefit from knowledgeable staff for assembly.

          If you're still searching in a month or so, let me know, as I'll be replacing one of ours for a 20" bike.

          Tim Hurley
          Wheel Kids Bicycle Club
          www.wheelkids.com
          415.203.2727

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
            I have Specialized Hotrocks (16") for my kids, 6 and 4. The first one we bought new at Valencia Cyclery for about $160 when my older boy was about 3-1/2. For his younger sister, last year we bought a one-year-old Hotrock in perfect shape just like his for... $50 on Craigslist.

            They're good bikes. As for new bikes, Specialized is one of the only ones that have aluminum frames instead of steel, so they are a couple of pounds lighter and easier to pedal = more fun for the kid. It's also held up very well after nearly 3 years, strong (i've fooled around on it occasionally), runs smooth, never needed any adjusting or fixing. Only the chainguard broke off.
            So... I recommend the Hotrock. But keep an eye on Craigslist and if you can get one in good shape (ie not left outside/rusted) for 1/2 retail go for it.

            --
            ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --
            jeremiah moore | SOUND | jmoore@northstation .net

          • Jeremiah Moore
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
              Thanks for the recommendation Mike!  I'll be looking into it -

              -jeremiah

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2010
                Good points too. My daughter was a Skuut master. Got her a Hotrock at about 3-1/2. She used it with training wheels for a little to just learn how to pedal, and by 3.9 she was riding without training wheels!

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010
                  anyone selling there hotwalk? would be interested in buying fir my daughter.

                  as for the other comments, I went with a hot rock for my older daughter it's a but big but great, she likes the hand brake and coaster.

                  Sent from my iPhone
                • rodynrojas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2010
                    My little dude is going to be two in a few weeks and he is ready for a skuut or such. Does anyone have on we could borrow for a year or so? Or take and pass on to another family?

                    Andrea