Re: Bike Trailer Recommendations

  • dalm4n
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hey George,

      We recently made a similar purchase. We lucked out and got a new Burley D'Lite as a floor model from Costco for $100. It was a steal that couldn't be passed up.. That aside, I really like the trailer. We have 2.5yr old twins, so you can relate well to this information.

      Some of the things I like about the Burley:
      - The large tires give a generally smooth consistent ride
      - It has a hard rubber 'shock' that does well to soften some of the bumps in the roads here.
      - The cargo space is really roomy (ie. timbuktu bag with laptop, 2 lunch coolers, and diaper bag easily fit in the back)
      - The attachment arm is solid to the bike. I tested a friends trailer that had a spring near the attachment point and it felt a lot less in sync with the bike. The trailer would jerk with pedal strokes, especially up hills.
      - The pin attachment is quick and easy to get on once the bike is lined up.

      Some of things I don't like about the Burley:
      - The cargo area has no block under the seat area so smaller items can slide forward to where the kids feet are.
      - The attachment arm causes the trailer to track slightly to the side. I'm sure most trailers are like this, but it takes some getting used to where the wheels are tracking so you can avoid bumps and potholes.
      - The pin attachment can be a pain until you get good practice at lining it up correctly. Especially noticable on slopes.
      - The brake on the trailer can be tricky to dis/engage when attached to the bike and the trailer is loaded. Mostly I've noticed this when loading the kids up and getting ready to leave preschool on my own.

      Overall, we are really happy with this trailer. The kids like it and have plenty of room to sit and eat snacks. They are snug and it does cause some contention when one isn't in a good mood. (IE. I've actually had to say "Don't make me pull this trailer over" twice.)

      It gets regular use every week as I generally take the kids to school twice a week down near the beach and then ride back up to the inner sunset with the mostly empty trailer. Reverse in the evening. It is holding up very well with this use. If you are doing much less riding, it may not be worth spending as much on a new Burley. But if you can find a deal like we did, it would be impossible to pass up.

      I was apprehensive about a trailer to start out, but we didn't really have much of a choice with twins. I've come to find out that the ride isn't tough once you get used to it. You just have to realize that you have a giant parachute and 100 lbs of extra weight hanging off the back of the bike. Take wider turns and enjoy the scenery and you will be fine.

      If you ever want to see it in action, just let me know.

      Dallas

      --- In sfbikingfamilies@yahoogroups.com, "georgec02" <georgec02@...> wrote:

      > Hi there, new to the group and looking for recommendations on searching for a bike trailer.
      >
      > I've been searching on the internet, but have not found any good sites with unbiased/fact based reviews. Feedback from anyone that actually uses/has used a particular brand/model would be great.
      >
      > In particular, any information on the trade-offs of cheaper trailers (e.g. InStep, Schwinn, Performance) vs. pricier models (Burley) given the following user profile:
      >
      > - 2 children (currently twins <age 2)
      > - Using as bike trailer only (no need for jog attachment)
      > - Some other cargo space preferred
      > - Light recreational use 1-2 times a month riding through the Presidio, Crissy Field, Golden Gate park... (we're not hardcore bikers and not planning on using it for commuting etc...).
      > - Hitched to a mountain bike with disc brakes
      >
      > I've looked at:
      > Burley Encore (~370) & D'Lite (400+), Honey Bee (~270)
      > Schwinn Turbo (Target/~160)
      > InStep (Target/~150)
      > Kid Karriage (Nashbar/$99) - but site notes does not work with disc brakes)
      > Baby Transit Rumbleseat (Performance/$199)
      >
      > I've only been able to see the Burley D'Lite & Honey Bee in person. Tried to stop by Target, but their trailers were in the box. I've been told that plastic wheels are not as good as spoked? and that larger wheels are better? Planning on stopping by Sports Basement to see if they have someone knowledgeable to talk with this week. The guy I talked with at REI was not much help and they mainly had the Chariot models in stock (too expensive for us).
      >
      > Any technical comparisons or explanations would be great. Mostly have just seen "I have a (insert brand name) and it's the best" which hasn't been too useful.
      >
      > Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

    • georgec02
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2009
        Thanks Mike and Dallas for the feedback so far and more is always welcome.

        I went to SportsBasement today and stuck the kids in the trailer. The Burley's seem pretty well built and easy to break down. They have a HoneyBee in the rental department which isn't a D'Lite but close enough that we'll probably take it out for a spin one weekend before committing to a large purchase ($10/day).

        Dallas appreciate the twin specific experience. With 2 1 year-olds in the trailer, it didn't look snug, but it also didn't look like there was a huge amount of space for growth on a sideways basis. Good to know at 2.5, there's still room. Hoping to get some good use out of whichever one we end up purchasing.

        Jealous that you found one at Costco - which one was it? I didn't even know they carried them.

        Thanks again!

        --- In sfbikingfamilies@yahoogroups.com, "dalm4n" <dallas.wisehaupt@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > Schwinn Turbo (Target/~160)
        > > InStep (Target/~150)
        > > Kid Karriage (Nashbar/$99) - but site notes does not work with disc brakes)
        > > Baby Transit Rumbleseat (Performance/$199)
        > >
        > > I've only been able to see the Burley D'Lite & Honey Bee in person. Tried to stop by Target, but their trailers were in the box. I've been told that plastic wheels are not as good as spoked? and that larger wheels are better? Planning on stopping by Sports Basement to see if they have someone knowledgeable to talk with this week. The guy I talked with at REI was not much help and they mainly had the Chariot models in stock (too expensive for us).
        > >
        > > Any technical comparisons or explanations would be great. Mostly have just seen "I have a (insert brand name) and it's the best" which hasn't been too useful.
        > >
        > > Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

      • Terrance Amsler
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
          We got the Burley D'Lite. I was happy to buy a Burley since the D'Lite is still made in the USA and I irrationally thought of the company as the worker coop it used to be. However, I've been super disappointed with the seat angle. My child who has been riding in it since he was maybe 14 mos old slides forward off the seat. He does alright, but it doesn't look comfortable to me. I think I'm doing it right and it's a design issue. I peeked into the back of someone's chariot trailer and the seat design looked much better.

          TR
        • dalm4n
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
            George,

            It was the D'lite. I was shocked to see it there at all. And had to grab it at that price.