Bikes for a 12 year old?

  • ellen nearman
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 9, 2013
      Bike for a 12 year old boy, now into SF city streets and dirt biking...Could there be a reasonably priced (US$500ish range) bike that "does it all" for this emerging pre teen :)? Appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

    • Lael DasGupta
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
        Wow! Thank you to everyone who responded! Very helpful information!!!!

        - Lael

        On Feb 7, 2013, at 10:19 PM, Raphael Sperry <raphael@...> wrote:

        I have a Madsen and I really love it, but since my kids have outgrown it, I'll be selling it in March. That said, to answer your questions:

        Not good on hills. Not enough gears and the frame is fairly heavy. However I rode it in the Mission, SoMA and Bayview and had a blast!
        Too long to fit on MUNI. Never tried it on BART but it is too big for the elevator and carrying it down BART stairs would be crazy; if you dropped it your or people could get hurt.
        You can carry a ton of stuff, but it is a little size-specific because the bucket is divided around the chain so the bottom is like two mini-storage wells. The child seats are awesome and you can in fact carry up to 4 kids or 2 kids plus an adult! But not up hills. The bucket is a great feature and it's easy to drill little holes in it and bolt stuff on.

        Reading reviews a Yuba Boda Boda would be a good bet.

        Raphael

        On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Jonathan Frank <jjfranksf@...> wrote:

        I used a Kona Ute for my daughter until she was 6.
        Advantages: When the child gets older, she can sit on the back without a child seat.  You can transport things as well as the child (I would carry her bicycle on the back along with her so we could bike together in GG Park).  The bike is geared low so biking is feasible.
        Disadvantages: The bike is very heavy and not too good for extended up-hills.  It is hard to store and does NOT fit on a Muni rack.

        Conclusion - good for older kids.

        Jonathan

      • bekid_stlouis
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
          I have a girl and am on the same quest.
          I've done some looking around and from the bike shop in Marin came a recommendation of a Specialized Spirit.