broken spokes

  • jmardesi
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2010
      We have a 27 pound 2 year old that is riding on a bike seat on the back. My husband's bike has new tires, and the other day a spoke broke on the back tire.

      Is there any way of preventing this? I thought the seat+ child could be used up to when they were 40 pounds...

      joan
    • Mike Ness
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2010
        Broken spokes are just an occasional part of riding a bike. Unless it's a high-end bike with non-regular spokes, any bike shop will be able to replace the spoke & re-straighten the wheel.

        But spokes/wheels come in different strengths - if you find that you're repeatedly breaking spokes on that wheel, then the wheel may be too light for your combined weight, and you'd need to either have the shop re-build the wheel with heavier-duty spokes, or get a new wheel (with heavier spokes).

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 2010
          Without looking at the wheel I'd guess that it incurred some damage that
          weakened the spoke and went unnoticed until it broke. Pretty much any
          properly trued and maintained wheel should be able to easily hold the
          weight of your 2 year old and the rider as well. If the wheel is in
          servicable condition (ie no huge bends in the rim, mostly rust-free
          spokes, etc) I'd just take it to a local bike shop and ask them to
          replace the broken spoke and re-true the wheel.

          If you're really worried about it happening again there are wheels out
          there with higher spoke count and/or higher-strength spokes but these
          are usually reserved for really big loads such as big cargo bikes and
          tandem bikes.

          -Bill

          -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...