Rachel's author event & book launch party - March 11, SF

  • raevicrodz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi everybody,

      I hope this finds you doing well.

      My children's book
      Through Georgia's Eyes is finally out! I am thrilled. And it's been a lot of work promoting the book as well. At least it is a labor of love. And some of the labor is paying off:

      I just got word that
      Vanity Fair magazine mentions the book in their March issue. Curve magazine spotlights Through Georgia’s Eyes as an “Editor’s Pick” this month as well. I’ll be speaking at the National Art Education Association convention in Chicago this month, and at the LA Times Festival of Books in April. We’ve gotten two starred reviews, with Kirkus’ calling the book “breathtaking,” (see below). San Francisco magazine will be doing a book review in June.

      Please join me for an author event and reception to celebrate the book's release:

      Saturday March 11th
      1 p.m.
      A Clean Well Lighted Place for Books,
      San Francisco

      Bring young ones, friends, mates...There will be 45-50 minutes of presentation with book signing and a reception (light food, drink, cake) to follow. Directions and more info on the bookstore at www.bookstore.com. MUNI and BART accessible. Several restaurants at Opera Plaza and in the neighborhood for those arriving around lunchtime.

      Pass the word!
      Word of mouth endorsements to friends are essential for an unknown author like me. I hope you'll support this new author (who's last name is not Rowling or Grisham!) by letting friends know about the March 11th event and the book.

      Thanks for your support.

      Abrazos,
      Rachel

      Rachel Victoria Rodriguez

      www.RachelRodriguezBooks.com

      Kirkus Starred Review
      Feb 2006

      At the turn of the 20th century, it was very rare, almost unheard of, for a woman to become an artist. But Georgia O'Keeffe was indeed a rare commodity, and her talent and determination could not be denied. She saw the world filled with color, brightness, light, and astonishing shapes. Whether she lives in the city or on her beloved Ghost Ranch in New Mexico, "Everywhere she looks, shapes hum and sing to her." Art is her means of communication, more intense than the spoken or written word. Using the most basic biographical facts and the sparest language, Rodriguez offers a glimpse into O'Keeffe's unique world and beseeches the reader to "lean in and look closer." Paschkis's remarkable cut-paper collages on acrylic perfectly evoke O'Keefe's vision without ever seeming like mere imitation. It is not often that author, illustrator, and subject come together so seamlessly. Breathtaking.

      Upcoming Events
      :

      *   March 6
          Independence School - Author Visit
          Alameda, CA

      *   March 11
          A Clean Well-Lighted Place for Books - author event & book reception party
          San Francisco

      *   March 22-26
          National Art Education Association Annual Convention - presenter
          Chicago

      *    March 31
           Arundel School - Author Visit
           Redwood City, CA

      *   April 8
           Borders Books - author event
           Santa Fe, NM

      *    April 9
           Barnes & Noble - author event
           Albuquerque, NM

      *    April 29-30
           Los Angeles Times' "Festival of Books 2006" - author speaker
           UCLA campus, Los Angeles