FWD, from Kare: Not One Damn Dime! Day - Jan 20, 2005

  • In Awe
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2004
      Subject: Re: War Protest

      Not One Damn Dime Day - Jan 20, 2005

      Since our religious leaders will not speak out against the war in Iraq,
      since our political leaders don't have the moral courage to oppose it,
      Inauguration Day, Thursday, January 20th, 2005 is "Not One Damn Dime Day" in
      America.

      On "Not One Damn Dime Day" those who oppose what is happening in our name in
      Iraq can speak up with a 24-hour national boycott of all forms of consumer
      spending.

      During "Not One Damn Dime Day" please don't spend money. Not one damn dime
      for gasoline. Not one damn dime for necessities or for impulse purchases.
      Not one damn dime for nothing for 24 hours.

      On "Not One Damn Dime Day," please boycott Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target... Please
      don't go to the mall or the local convenience store. Please don't buy any
      fast food (or any groceries at all for that matter).

      For 24 hours, please do what you can to shut the retail economy down.

      The object is simple. Remind the people in power that the war in Iraq is
      immoral and illegal; that they are responsible for starting it and that it
      is their responsibility to stop it.

      "Not One Damn Dime Day" is to remind them, too, that they work for the
      people of the United States of America, not for the international
      corporations and K Street lobbyists who represent the corporations and
      funnel cash into American politics.

      "Not One Damn Dime Day" is about supporting the troops. The politicians put
      the troops in harm's way.

      Now 1,200 brave young Americans and (some estimate) 100,000 Iraqis have
      died. The politicians owe our troops a plan - a way to come home.

      There's no rally to attend. No marching to do. No left or right wing agenda
      to rant about. On "Not One Damn Dime Day" you take action by doing nothing.

      You open your mouth by keeping your wallet closed.

      For 24 hours, nothing gets spent, not one damn dime, to remind our religious
      leaders and our politicians of their moral responsibility to end the war in
      Iraq and give America back to the people.

      Please share this email with as many people as possible who you believe
      share these views.

      I love this idea. It only hurts some of these folks when it hurts them in
      the pocketbook. I remember the Berrigans, no violence, sometimes fasting,
      sometimes peaceful resistance. But this is even better. So I'm forwarding
      it too.