Art and Soul Festival - Oakland 9/4

  • Dawn Kaly
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      I am organizing a gathering for the Art and Soul Festival in Oakland
      for Saturday 9/4 to meet at 12:00 Noon. Easy to BART to Festival.
      Email me at SpiritandPassion@... if you would like to join the
      outing. There is great music on 4-5 stages, as well as art and
      crafts booths and different types of ethnic food booths. You can go
      directly to the official website for the festival at:

      http://www.artandsouloakland.com/main/index.htm

      See an overview of Festival below. $5 cover to get in.

      Next: 9/4 , 11:00AM-6:00PM;
      Oakland City Hall
      One Frank H. Ogawa Plaza
      Oakland, CA 94612
      510-238-3612

      For the three days of the Labor Day Weekend, Oakland's festival of
      art, music, food and culture fills up the parks and promenades of
      Oakland's City Center, then spills out onto the streets in and around
      14th and Broadway. The atmosphere is high-spirited, and there's lots
      to do at this annual community event. Local artists and vendors
      display and sell jewelry, imported crafts, sculpture and clothing;
      and bands play all three days. Los Lobos headlines this year, with
      appearances by the Dave Matthews Blues Band, Edwin Hawkins & the
      Unity Mass Choir, and Patti Griffin.

      Eating is a key part of this Labor Day tradition, with soulful
      specialties such as catfish, red snapper, barbecue, hot dogs and
      vegetarian food available. Local restaurants and food vendors also
      offer Caribbean, Thai, Mexican and other ethnic food. The Oakland Art
      Gallery debuts a new exhibit during the weekend, but for the budding
      artists in the community, the Family Fun Zone gets kids involved in
      creating recycled art, and everyone can pitch in to paint a huge
      mural on a blank fence. To bring a sense of history to the event, the
      Voices of Civil Rights bus tour is stopping by.

      Traffic is blocked off, so think about taking BART to the 12th Street
      Station. -- Doug Konecky

      Special Events: Festival, Outdoor