Rugosodon - A Mammal of the Jurassic

  • Neal Robbins
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013

          This link has an illustration and fossil photos of Rugosodon.

          Rugosodon eurasiaticus was a mammal of the Jurassic. The systematic paleontology of it is:

      Mammalia Linnaeus 1758
      Multituberculata Cope 1884
      Plagiaulacida Simpson 1928
      Paulchoffatiidae Hahn 1969
      Rugosodon Yuan et al. 2013
      Rugosodon eurasiaticus Yuan et al. 2013

          The holotype (BMNH PM1142A) is an almost complete skeleton. It was found in the Tiaojishan Formation at the Daxigou locality in Liaoning, China. This fossil specimen dates to the Oxfordian age (161.2 - 155.7 million years ago) of the Jurassic. [Note - The source of this information is The Paleobiology Database.]
          Chong-Xi Yuan, Qiang-Jin Meng, Alan R. Tabrum, and Zhe-Xi Luo wrote an article titled Earliest Evolution of Multituberculate Mammals Revealed by a New Jurassic Fossil. It was published in 2013 in Science, Vol. 341, no. 6147, pp. 779-783. This quote from the abstract says:

      Multituberculates were successful herbivorous mammals and were more diverse and numerically abundant than any other mammal groups in Mesozoic ecosystems. The clade also developed diverse locomotor adaptations in the Cretaceous and Paleogene. We report a new fossil skeleton from the Late Jurassic of China that belongs to the basalmost multituberculate family. Dental features of this new Jurassic multituberculate show omnivorous adaptation, and its well preserved skeleton sheds light on ancestral skeletal features of all multituberculates, especially the highly mobile joints of the ankle, crucial for later evolutionary success of multituberculates in the Cretaceous and Paleogene.

          Sid Perkins wrote an article titled Fossil reveals features of mammal line that outlived dinosaurs. The text is on this link.

          Neal Robbins
    • Tom Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013
        Thanks Neal, hope you and all the Group had a safe and fun Labor Day. We stayed home. I have this last week to do of therapy, then they should release me. They've been putting me through the wringer for the last four weeks (groan).
        Tom

        --
        This is what your body text will look like.
      • ctn47496
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2013
          You're welcome, Tom. I had nice Labor Day here in Dover, Arkansas. This year has been a good one for finding information on Mesozoic mammals.

          Neal