Re: [seymouria] Obamadon gracilis - A Lizard of the Cretaceous

  • Tom Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012
      So many creatures were wiped out over the eons. Wonderful species we'll never see again. Like the Dimetrodons and Seymourias of the Permian Period. I am surprised to read that many snakes and smaller reptiles were lost at the end of the Cretaceous Period, as you would think they had a better chance of surviving. Sadly that was not the case. Thanks Neal.
      Tom

      On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Neal Robbins <ctn47496@...> wrote:

          This link has a piece of artwork that depicts Obamadon and other Cretaceous creatures. Obamadon is the smaller of the two lizards in the picture.

          Obamadon gracilis was a lizard of the Cretaceous. The systematic paleontology of it is:

      Reptilia Laurenti 1768
      Squamata Oppel 1811
      Polyglyphanodontia Alifanov 2000
      Obamadon Longrich, Bhart-Anjan, and Gauthier 2012
      Obamadon gracilis Longrich, Bhart-Anjan, and Gauthier 2012

          Fossil remains of Obamadon gracilis were found in the Hell Creek Formation in Montana. They Nicholas R. Longrich, Bhart-Anjan S. Bhullar, and Jacques A. Gauthier wrote an article titled Mass extinction of lizards and snakes at the Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary. It was published in 2012 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. This quote from the abstract says:

      The Cretaceous-Paleogene (K-Pg) boundary is marked by a major mass extinction, yet this event is thought to have had little effect on the diversity of lizards and snakes (Squamata). A revision of fossil squamates from the Maastrichtian and Paleocene of North America shows that lizards and snakes suffered a devastating mass extinction coinciding with the Chicxulub asteroid impact. Species-level extinction was 83%, and the K-Pg event resulted in the elimination of many lizard groups and a dramatic increase in morphological disparity. Survival was associated with small body size and perhaps large geographic range. The recovery was prolonged; diversity did not approach Cretaceous levels until 10 My after the extinction, and resulted in a dramatic shift in faunal composition. The squmate fossil record shows that the end-Cretaceous mass extinction was far more severe than previously believed, and underscores the role played by mass extinction in driving diversifications.

          The authors state that Obamadon gracilis had small and slender teeth. Lingual grooves separated the large central cusps from the small accessory cusps.

          Neal Robbins

    • Neal Robbins
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012

            You're welcome, Tom. I agree; it is sad that so many marvelous creatures have been wiped out by mass extinction events. It also surprised me that such a large number of small animals, such as snakes and lizards, died in the K-T mass extinction event. That catastrophe was much worse than what was previously realized. Although it did not kill off as many species as the end Permian extinction event, the K-T disaster was extremely bad.

            Neal

        http://news.yale.edu/2012/12/10/asteroid-killed-dinosaurs-also-wiped-out-obamadon?quicktabs_1=1

[...]

      • fadingshadows2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012
          That's certainly true, Neal. BTW, I know you've read my YA novel, "Three Go Back", but you might let your other groups know that it will go out of print in two more months. I'm not sure if I'll look for another publisher or not, though I may pay for a new cover and put it on electronic format on Kindle, but we'll have to wait and see. Below is the blurb for the book. The book is available in print from the publisher (NTD), and Amazon.
          Tom

          In the year 2323, when their teleport vehicle malfunctions, becoming a time machine, it sends three young high school girls back in time on a journey of discovery they never expected. From the Ice Age through the Cretaceous, Permian, Carboniferous, and finally to the beginning of the Earth's evolution of life, they experience their world's prehistoric past in all its splendor and terror, coming away with the joy of knowledge and fantastic adventure!

          --- In seymouria@yahoogroups.com, Neal Robbins <ctn47496@...> wrote:

          >     You're welcome, Tom. I agree; it is sad that so many marvelous creatures have been wiped out by mass extinction events. It also surprised me that such a large number of small animals, such as snakes and lizards, died in the K-T mass extinction event. That catastrophe was much worse than what was previously realized. Although it did not kill off as many species as the end Permian extinction event, the K-T disaster was extremely bad.
          >
          >     Neal

        • Neal Robbins
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012

                I'll tell my other groups about it. That novel is excellent; I'm sure that the members of my other groups would like to read it. I hope you can get another publisher for it.

                Neal

            --- In mailto:seymouria%40yahoogroups.com, Neal Robbins <ctn47496@...> wrote:

            >     You're welcome, Tom. I agree; it is sad that so many marvelous creatures have been wiped out by mass extinction events. It also surprised me that such a large number of small animals, such as snakes and lizards, died in the K-T mass extinction event. That catastrophe was much worse than what was previously realized. Although it did not kill off as many species as the end Permian extinction event, the K-T disaster was extremely bad.
            >
            >     Neal

            ymailto="mailto:seymouria%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:seymouria%40yahoogroups.com