Re: [seymouria] Re: Triassic - Teratosaurus: A Rauisuchian Reptile

  • Neal Robbins
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1 12:18 AM

      Hi Tom,

          Dimetrodons would be an interesting name for a football team. It would also be a unique name for a musical group.
          Our state dinosaur in Arkansas is apparently a theropod; it's a small dinosaur.
          I studied at the University of Texas at Austin for several years; I was a graduate student in Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures. That school is a huge one. During my first few days there, I carried a map of the campus with me.
           While I was in Austin, I saw some T-shirts in a store with a picture of a Tyrannosaurus rex on them. The Tyrannosaurus was wearing a cowboy hat and a six shooter. The shirts had a caption on the that read Tyrannosaurus tex!

          Neal

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1 5:54 AM
        Have any of you gone to see the footprints, in the Paluxy River, near
        Glen Rose? My brother in law and sister in law used to live just a
        few miles from the tracks.
        Angela

        --- In seymouria@yahoogroups.com, "Tom & Ginger Johnson"
        <fadingshadows40@...> wrote:

        > Hi Neal,
        > Our state dinosaur is a huge herbivore, resembling a brachiosaurus.
        The
        > old saying, everything is bigger in Texas even applies to our
        dinosaur
        > (hahaha). Too bad we can't talk the officials into changing it to a
        > Permian reptile - the Seymouria comes instantly to mind! BTW, our
        local
        > football team is the Panthers, but Dr. Bakker has been trying to
        get
        > the city to rename them the Dimetrodons!
        > Tom
        >
        > > Hi Tom,
        > >
        > >     Here in Arkansas we might eventually have to change the name
        of
        > our state dinosaur, Arkansaurus fridayi. The remains of it are
        sparse
        > and future finds may prove it to be of some other genus/species.
        > >
        > >     Neal

      • Tom & Ginger Johnson
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1 6:19 AM
          Hi Angela,
          Unfortunately, no. But I would love to see them. I hope the tracks will
          be preserved forever. They are just as important as bone fossils. BTW,
          has there been any progress in locating a replica of the Seymouria? We
          have so much history here, and I'm surprised that Seymour has not taken
          advantage of our rich fossil area. We could draw thousands of visitors
          to Seymour every year to visit a museum with such a display. Please
          keep us posted on any progress.
          Tom

          > Have any of you gone to see the footprints, in the Paluxy River, near
          > Glen Rose? My brother in law and sister in law used to live just a
          > few miles from the tracks.
          > Angela
        • Tom & Ginger Johnson
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1 6:23 AM
            Hi Neal,
            Yep, I remember ol' Tyrannosaurus Tex! I used to have a photo - or
            postcard featuring him. Only in Texas ... (lol)
            Tom

            > Hi Tom,
            >
            >     Dimetrodons would be an interesting name for a football team. It
            would also be a unique name for a musical group.
            >     Our state dinosaur in Arkansas is apparently a theropod; it's a
            small dinosaur.
            >     I studied at the University of Texas at Austin for several years;
            I was a graduate student in Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures. That
            school is a huge one. During my first few days there, I carried a map
            of the campus with me.
            >      While I was in Austin, I saw some T-shirts in a store with a
            picture of a Tyrannosaurus rex on them. The Tyrannosaurus was wearing a
            cowboy hat and a six shooter. The shirts had a caption on the that read
            Tyrannosaurus tex!

            >     Neal
          • Neal Robbins
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1 6:49 AM

              Hi Tom,

                  How would you all like a post on one of T-rex/T-tex's kinfolks? I found some good data on a member of the family Tyrannosauridae. There's also some fine artwork on it.

                  Neal

              Yep, I remember ol' Tyrannosaurus Tex! I used to have a photo - or
              postcard featuring him. Only in Texas ... (lol)
              Tom

              > Hi Tom,
              >
              >     Dimetrodons would be an interesting name for a football team. It
              would also be a unique name for a musical group.
              >     Our state dinosaur in Arkansas is apparently a theropod; it's a
              small dinosaur.
              >     I studied at the University of Texas at Austin for several years;
              I was a graduate student in Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures. That
              school is a huge one. During my first few days there, I carried a map
              of the campus with me.
              >      While I was in Austin, I saw some T-shirts in a store with a
              picture of a Tyrannosaurus rex on them. The Tyrannosaurus was wearing a
              cowboy hat and a six shooter. The shirts had a caption on the that read
              Tyrannosaurus tex!

              >     Neal

            • Neal Robbins
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1 10:53 AM

                Hi Tom,

                    I'll be putting a theropod post on the board tomorrow. It will be on a cousin of Tyrannosaurus. This afternoon I will watch the Super Bowl. I'm a Minnesota Vikings fan, but my team didn't make it to the Super Bowl. Several people that I know are rooting for the Cardinals today.

                Neal

                Yep, I remember ol' Tyrannosaurus Tex! I used to have a photo - or
                postcard featuring him. Only in Texas ... (lol)
                Tom

                > Hi Tom,
                >
                >     Dimetrodons would be an interesting name for a football team. It
                would also be a unique name for a musical group.
                >     Our state dinosaur in Arkansas is apparently a theropod; it's a
                small dinosaur.
                >     I studied at the University of Texas at Austin for several years;
                I was a graduate student in Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures. That
                school is a huge one. During my first few days there, I carried a map
                of the campus with me.
                >      While I was in Austin, I saw some T-shirts in a store with a
                picture of a Tyrannosaurus rex on them. The Tyrannosaurus was wearing a
                cowboy hat and a six shooter. The shirts had a caption on the that read
                Tyrannosaurus tex!

                >     Neal

              • Tom & Ginger Johnson
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 1 11:07 AM
                  Hi Neal,
                  I figure everyone will be watching the Super Bowl. Me, I'm reading some
                  old books (lol). I get too frustrated at football games (hahaha).
                  Tom

                  > Hi Tom,
                  >
                  >     I'll be putting a theropod post on the board tomorrow. It will be
                  on a cousin of Tyrannosaurus. This afternoon I will watch the Super
                  Bowl. I'm a Minnesota Vikings fan, but my team didn't make it to the
                  Super Bowl. Several people that I know are rooting for the Cardinals
                  today.

                  > Neal
                • Neal Robbins
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 1 12:24 PM

                    Hi Tom,

                        I might not watch all of the super bowl. In terms of light entertainment, I generally listen to cds of Shania Twain and Mariah Carey, or watch movies with Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Aniston in them. However, the video rental shop here is closed today and my cd player needs to be repaired. I might get out my cassette play for some music in the evening.
                        The weather has gotten warmer here in Arkansas. For a couple of weeks, it was freezing.

                        Neal

                    I figure everyone will be watching the Super Bowl. Me, I'm reading some
                    old books (lol). I get too frustrated at football games (hahaha).
                    Tom

                    > Hi Tom,
                    >
                    >     I'll be putting a theropod post on the board tomorrow. It will be
                    on a cousin of Tyrannosaurus. This afternoon I will watch the Super
                    Bowl. I'm a Minnesota Vikings fan, but my team didn't make it to the
                    Super Bowl. Several people that I know are rooting for the Cardinals
                    today.

                    > Neal

                  • Tom & Ginger Johnson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 1 12:48 PM
                      Hi Neal,
                      We don't watch a lot of movies. When we had TV, I watched a lot of
                      Discovery, History, Learning Channel, and National Geography. When I
                      read or write, I listen to music. I've put hundreds of C&W (1950s
                      & '60s) and 1950s & '60s Rock on MP3 CDs. I've got a five CD disc
                      player, and with 150 songs per CD (about 7 hours each), I can listen to
                      35 hours straight (lol). Of course, there are lots of duplicates on
                      each CD.
                      Our video rental store is open today, and we do have a free rental
                      coming, so we might rent a couple of movies. Problem is, there are
                      seldom any new movies that we care for. We're very old fashioned,
                      having grown up with classic movies.
                      Tom

                      > Hi Tom,
                      >
                      >     I might not watch all of the super bowl. In terms of light
                      entertainment, I generally listen to cds of Shania Twain and Mariah
                      Carey, or watch movies with Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Aniston in them.
                      However, the video rental shop here is closed today and my cd player
                      needs to be repaired. I might get out my cassette play for some music
                      in the evening.
                      >     The weather has gotten warmer here in Arkansas. For a couple of
                      weeks, it was freezing.

                      >     Neal
                    • Neal Robbins
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 1 5:11 PM

                        Hi Tom,

                            I watch the Discovery and National Geographic channels. They have very good documentaries.
                            I have some of the Beatles' old albums, including Sergeant Pepper. And I've also got some sixties albums of other singers, including Petula Clark. I was in the fifth grade when I saw the Beates on the Ed Sullivan Show. I remember the first time that I saw her; she was a guest star on the Red Skelton Show. Her music is great.
                            Although I've seen Walking with Dinosaurs before, I may rent it tomorrow when the local video shop opens in the morning. I'm sure you've seen that documentary. Walking with Beasts is also a good one.

                        Neal

                        We don't watch a lot of movies. When we had TV, I watched a lot of
                        Discovery, History, Learning Channel, and National Geography. When I
                        read or write, I listen to music. I've put hundreds of C&W (1950s
                        & '60s) and 1950s & '60s Rock on MP3 CDs. I've got a five CD disc
                        player, and with 150 songs per CD (about 7 hours each), I can listen to
                        35 hours straight (lol). Of course, there are lots of duplicates on
                        each CD.
                        Our video rental store is open today, and we do have a free rental
                        coming, so we might rent a couple of movies. Problem is, there are
                        seldom any new movies that we care for. We're very old fashioned,
                        having grown up with classic movies.
                        Tom

                        > Hi Tom,
                        >
                        >     I might not watch all of the super bowl. In terms of light
                        entertainment, I generally listen to cds of Shania Twain and Mariah
                        Carey, or watch movies with Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Aniston in them.
                        However, the video rental shop here is closed today and my cd player
                        needs to be repaired. I might get out my cassette play for some music
                        in the evening.
                        >     The weather has gotten warmer here in Arkansas. For a couple of
                        weeks, it was freezing.

                        >     Neal

                      • Tom & Ginger Johnson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 1 5:27 PM
                          Hi Neal,
                          Yeah, not having a TV is bad at times, as I do miss some of the shows.
                          Even though I've seen most of those Discovery programs, some of them I
                          don't mind watching over and over again. I watch the TV Guide, and when
                          I see something is scheduled that looks interesting, I have Ginger call
                          one of her girlfriends and ask them to tap it for me (lol). They're
                          usually pretty nice about it.
                          Ah yes, gosh I had a crush on Petula Clark for years, even if she is a
                          year older than me (haha). I do have one of her albums, and I
                          have "Downtown" on MP3 CD disk. I do have some Beattles albums, but
                          none of their songs on CD. I was in France when they hit America, so
                          missed all the hoopla of their arrival. By the time I returned home,
                          they had made everyone mad at them. Even Elvis kind of dissed them.
                          Tom

                          > Hi Tom,
                          >
                          >     I watch the Discovery and National Geographic channels. They have
                          very good documentaries.
                          >     I have some of the Beatles' old albums, including Sergeant
                          Pepper. And I've also got some sixties albums of other singers,
                          including Petula Clark. I was in the fifth grade when I saw the Beates
                          on the Ed Sullivan Show. I remember the first time that I saw her; she
                          was a guest star on the Red Skelton Show. Her music is great.
                          >     Although I've seen Walking with Dinosaurs before, I may rent it
                          tomorrow when the local video shop opens in the morning. I'm sure
                          you've seen that documentary. Walking with Beasts is also a good one.

                          > Neal
                        • Neal Robbins
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 1 6:03 PM

                            Hi Tom,

                                I also had a crush on Petula Clark. Another of my crushes back in the sixties had to do with Barbara Feldon, who played as Agent 99 on the spy series Get Smart. And of course, I also liked Juliet Newmar, who played as Cat Woman on the Batman TV series. Now I have crushes on Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Aniston, Mariah Carey, and Shania Twain.
                                It would be nice if Mariah Carey would make some hip hop songs about dinosaurs, therapsids, pelycosaurs, or other long ago creatures. An album of songs about them would be great. Some songs by Shania Twain about prehistoric creatures would also be nice.
                                Someone suggested a video with two Tyrannosauruses in it, a male and a female, with the song "Don't Go Breaking my Heart (i.e. the song sung in duet by Elton John and Kiki Dee) being the music to it.
                                You're right; the Beatles did get everyone angry at them. It had to do with some remarks that John Lennon made about religion.

                            Neal

                            Yeah, not having a TV is bad at times, as I do miss some of the shows.
                            Even though I've seen most of those Discovery programs, some of them I
                            don't mind watching over and over again. I watch the TV Guide, and when
                            I see something is scheduled that looks interesting, I have Ginger call
                            one of her girlfriends and ask them to tap it for me (lol). They're
                            usually pretty nice about it.
                            Ah yes, gosh I had a crush on Petula Clark for years, even if she is a
                            year older than me (haha). I do have one of her albums, and I
                            have "Downtown" on MP3 CD disk. I do have some Beattles albums, but
                            none of their songs on CD. I was in France when they hit America, so
                            missed all the hoopla of their arrival. By the time I returned home,
                            they had made everyone mad at them. Even Elvis kind of dissed them.
                            Tom

                            > Hi Tom,
                            >
                            >     I watch the Discovery and National Geographic channels. They have
                            very good documentaries.
                            >     I have some of the Beatles' old albums, including Sergeant
                            Pepper. And I've also got some sixties albums of other singers,
                            including Petula Clark. I was in the fifth grade when I saw the Beates
                            on the Ed Sullivan Show. I remember the first time that I saw her; she
                            was a guest star on the Red Skelton Show. Her music is great.
                            >     Although I've seen Walking with Dinosaurs before, I may rent it
                            tomorrow when the local video shop opens in the morning. I'm sure
                            you've seen that documentary. Walking with Beasts is also a good one.

                            > Neal

                          • Tom & Ginger Johnson
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 1 6:14 PM
                              Hi Neal,
                              Yeah, I had a crush on two gals, Petula Clark and Diana Rigg (The
                              Avengers), both of whom are getting a wee bit old now. Actually, I
                              liked all the gals on The Avengers, but Emma Peal (Diana Rigg) was my
                              favorite.
                              I'm off to bed now.
                              Tom