Egyptian general admits 'virginity checks' conducted on protesters

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2011

      Egyptian general admits 'virginity checks' conducted on protesters

      From Shahira Amin, For CNN
      May 30, 2011 10:33 p.m. EDT

      Egyptian protesters get virginity tests?

      STORY HIGHLIGHTS
      • 17 women were arrested at a March 9 protest in Cairo, after Mubarak's ouster
      • A senior Egyptian general says some of them were subject to "virginity checks"
      • He says it was done so that they wouldn't claim later they had been raped
      • One woman allegedly targeted had said, "They wanted to teach us a lesson"

      Cairo (CNN) -- A senior Egyptian general admits that "virginity checks" were performed on women arrested at a demonstration this spring, the first such admission after previous denials by military authorities.

      The allegations arose in an Amnesty International report, published weeks after the March 9 protest. It claimed female demonstrators were beaten, given electric shocks, strip-searched, threatened with prostitution charges and forced to submit to virginity checks.

      At that time, Maj. Amr Imam said 17 women had been arrested but denied allegations of torture or "virginity tests."

      But now a senior general who asked not to be identified said the virginity tests were conducted and defended the practice.

      "The girls who were detained were not like your daughter or mine," the general said. "These were girls who had camped out in tents with male protesters in Tahrir Square, and we found in the tents Molotov cocktails and (drugs)."

      The general said the virginity checks were done so that the women wouldn't later claim they had been raped by Egyptian authorities.

      "We didn't want them to say we had sexually assaulted or raped them, so we wanted to prove that they weren't virgins in the first place," the general said. "None of them were (virgins)."

      This demonstration occurred nearly a month after Egypt's longtime President Hosni Mubarak stepped down amid a wave of popular and mostly peaceful unrest aimed at his ouster and the institution of democratic reforms.

      Afterward, Egypt's military -- which had largely stayed on the sidelines of the revolution -- officially took control of the nation's political apparatus as well, until an agreed-upon constitution and elections.