The Humor Gap: Men and Women See Laughter Differently in Romance

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2010

      From the May 2010 Scientific American Mind

      http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-humor-gap

      The Humor Gap: Men and Women See Laughter Differently in Romance

      ( Preview )

      Men and women may have different roles when it comes to comedy, but laughter is crucial from flirtation through long-term commitment

      By Christie Nicholson

      DELICATE BALANCE: Why do funny guys get swarmed with female attention, but somehow it's not quite the same for funny gals and male attention?

      Key Concepts

      • When seeking a mate, men desire women who laugh at their jokes, whereas women prefer men who can make them laugh.
      • These complementary desires may be rooted in the evolutionary force of sexual selection, whereby one sex performs or competes for the other, choosier sex’s attention.
      • Once a man and woman are in a relationship, humor roles change—it becomes important for women to use humor to relieve tense discussions.

      When comedian Susan Prekel takes to the stage and spots an attractive man in the audience, her heart sinks. “By the end of my gig he’s going to find me repulsive, at least as a sexual being,” she says.

      In more than a decade of performing on the New York City comedy circuit the attractive, tall brunette has been asked out only once after a show. But male comics get swarmed. “They do very well with women. I see it all the time,” Prekel says.