Fertile women more open to corny chat-up lines

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12 4:35 PM
      http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16262-fertile-women-more-open-
      to-corny-chatup-lines.html

      Fertile women more open to corny chat-up lines

      * 13:02 12 December 2008 by Ewen Callaway
      * For similar stories, visit the Love Topic Guide

      Large amounts of research have shown that women are more responsive
      to masculine voices, faces, and odours when they're fertile, but no
      studies have probed the obvious outcome of such inclinations, says
      Nicolas Guéguen, a psychologist at the University of South Brittany,
      France.

      "These studies did not focus on women's behaviour. It's the first
      study to test the role of the menstrual cycle on courtship request,
      in a real social context and not in laboratory," he told New Scientist.

      To bridge that gap, he asked five handsome 20-year-old men - winnowed
      down from a larger group rated for attractiveness by 28 women - to
      ask unsuspecting females for a date.

      On sunny summer days, the hunks approached the first young woman they
      saw on a street corner and delivered a standard pick-up line:

      "Hello. My name's Antoine. I just wanted to say that I think you're
      really pretty. I have to go to work this afternoon, and I was
      wondering if you would give me your phone number. I'll phone you
      later and we can have a drink together someplace."

      If she said yes, "Antoine" responded, "See you soon," and left.
      Rejections were given a similarly cheery standard response: "Too bad.
      It's not my day. Have a nice afternoon!"

      Less than a minute after the encounter, a female researcher
      approached the woman and clued her into the experimental nature of
      the encounter, asking her to fill out a short survey.

      Overall, 8.6% of the women who filled out a survey gave out their
      phone numbers. Rough odds, considering the men were judged as hunks.

      Women off the pill accepted offers twice as often as women on the
      pill (5.8% as opposed to 12%), perhaps a reflection of the likelihood
      that women on the pill are more likely to have men in their lives
      than women not taking birth control.

      A more interesting trend emerged when Guéguen analysed the data
      according to a women's fertility. Among women off the pill, those in
      their fertile phase accepted 21.7% of advances, while women in the
      midst of their periods gave out their numbers to just 7.8 % of men, a
      significant statistical difference that did not exist for women on
      the pill.

      Journal reference: Biological Psychology (DOI: 10.1016/j.biopsycho.
      2008.11.004)