Sexy walks 'keep men off scent'

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2007
       Thursday, 8 November 2007, 00:49 GMT

      Sexy walks 'keep men off scent'

      Appearances can be deceptive, the researchers say

      A sexy swing of the hips may attract admiring glances, but it is not a covert sign a woman is ready to breed, according to researchers.

      A Queen's University, Ontario, team examined volunteers' walks and the levels of sex hormones in their saliva.

      They found those with alluring walks were the furthest away from ovulation.

      A British expert said the research, featured by New Scientist magazine, supported the idea women disguise their fertility to deter unsuitable partners.

      'Surprising results'

      Women give a wide variety of subtle signals to men to advertise the fact that they are ready to conceive and Meghan Provost, the lead researcher, had expected a "sexy", hip-swinging walk to be one of those.

      If women are trying to protect themselves from sexual assault at times of peak fertility, it would make sense for them to advertise attractiveness... when they are not fertile
      Meghan Provost, lead researcher

      She analysed the gait of female volunteers, showed video clips to 40 men, asking them to rate the attractiveness of the way the women walked, and then matched the results to the hormone tests.

      She said the results, published in the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior, were so surprising that she had repeated the experiment again with another group of male viewers.

      The women who were most fertile at the time of the experiment walked with fewer hip movements and with their knees closer together.

      She now thinks the findings tally with other research suggesting that women want to conceal their ovulation from males other than their chosen partner.

      Monogamy

      A sexy walk would be too obvious, so women are thought to use changes in smell and facial expressions that can be experienced only at close range.

      Ms Provost said: "If women are trying to protect themselves from sexual assault at times of peak fertility, it would make sense for them to advertise attractiveness on a broad scale when they are not fertile."

      Dr John Manning, from the University of Central Lancashire, agreed with this theory.

      He said it was in a woman's best interests to form a closer attachment to one man to help raise children, rather than to advertise her fertile time and be approached by a larger number of competing males.

      He said: "I think that the subtle signs of ovulation are used, in a sense, to promote monogamy.

      "If you want to pick up on these, you have to be already living with, or close to, the woman, so this constrains the man into daily attendance on a woman."

      Chris King
      Room 412 +64 3737599 #88818

    • David Stodolsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2007
        On 8 Nov 2007, at 11:53, SP News wrote:

        > Dr John Manning, from the University of Central Lancashire, agreed
        > with this theory.
        >
        > He said it was in a woman's best interests to form a closer
        > attachment to one man to help raise children, rather than to
        > advertise her fertile time and be approached by a larger number of
        > competing males.
        >
        > He said: "I think that the subtle signs of ovulation are used, in a
        > sense, to promote monogamy.

        This doesn't follow. All it shows is that woman want to select men.

        Monogamy is not, in general, beneficial. Some studies show that the
        more 'fathers' a child has the better survival chances for the child.
        Thus, the best strategy would be for the women to select several males.

        dss

        David Stodolsky davidstodolsky@... Skype: davidstodolsky
      • gillies macbain
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2007
          On 8 Nov 2007, at 20:06, David Stodolsky wrote:
          This doesn't follow. All it shows is that woman want to select men.

          yes i noticed that. the feminine gambit would be : (a) attract
          (b) select (c) bond with the selected at the fertile time.

          there is also a common observation that men 'choose women that look
          like their mothers.'

          this could be put more precisely - men choose women that appeal to the
          taste in women that they inherit from the man who successfully mated
          with their mother. i e it is not their mother's looks, but their
          father's
          tastes, which is carried in their genes.

          this leads to another observation. there is a small percentage of
          striking
          redheads in some populations. if there is a genetic disposition to
          fancy
          redheads - it will lead the men who carry it very quickly to the women
          who possess red hair. it will not be more than a generation or two
          before the genes for red hair and for fancying red hair are fellow
          travellers. red hair being recessive, this will be so even among people
          who have a red hair gene that is not expressed in the phenotype.

          researchers say that certain preferences are rational, because they are
          attracted to clues that indicate good health etc.

          i say that over a number of generations the preferences and the virtues
          (good health etc.) will tend to become fellow travellers. women who
          tend to admire skinny intellectuals, and muscular manual workers,
          respectively - will come to breed offspring who share thees tastes as
          well as these qualities. thus a minor form of speciation is possible.

          gillies

          gillies macbain
          also readable at :
          http://darkbrownriver.blogspot.com/
        • gillies macbain
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2007
            look, gentlemen -

            she walks with a wiggle in her least fertile days of
            the month. men notice. it's a selection process -

            if you are still following her a fortnight later she can
            probably take it that you are genuinely interested . . .

            so then she notices you . . .

            gillies