Re: Roy Fielding on REST

  • Rob Eamon
    Message 1 of 43 , Sep 30, 2007
      This has probably been covered ad nauseam many times, but I'm
      wondering the origins of SOA as "business thing." Which actually
      leads me to wondering about the origins of SOA period. SOA has always
      been a "software thing" to me, and the SOA term co-opted to refer to
      the business level.

      The earliest formal definition I've come across is from Gartner,
      which defined it as a way to design/organize software systems. Can
      someone point me to earlier definitions? Are there other precedents
      that lay claim to the SOA moniker that are not about software per se?

      -Rob

      --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, Eric Newcomer
      <e_newcomer@...> wrote:

      > Hi Stefan,
      >
      > Yes, absolutely agree. To me SOA is a business level thing, but
      > you are right that others do try to define it as a technical
      > architecture.

      [remainder snipped]
    • javiercortesl
      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 8, 2007
        Hi Jan

        I'd been working with SOA since 3 years ago, and I'm interested in
        points like Enterprise Architecture

        I'll try to answer some yours questions related to EA,

        Fisrt , when we are talking about Enterprise Architecture, we are
        talking about three key aspescts, Poeple, Process and Tecnology...
        That's simple... What Process are in te Organization?, Which one of
        this process are executed by People? and Which one of this process are
        implemented using Technology?

        All items are interconnected People->Process->Technology..

        As you now, all the core into the organizations are your process
        (finantial process, account process, business process, and so on),
        many people are involved in activities whose results feed
        organizations process, and thas's the principal key, many of that
        process are implemented using technology (BPMs, Data Bases,
        Applications Servers, Documental Repositories, Business Rules Engine)

        This is the Easiest way to understand Enterprise Architectural..

        There are many frameworks to implement EA, the first one is Togaf
        Framework, the second one is Zachaman

        http://www.opengroup.org/togaf/
        http://www.zifa.com/

        Best regards!!!

        --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, Jan
        Algermissen <algermissen1971@...> wrote:

        > On Wednesday, October 03, 2007, at 01:26PM, "Anne Thomas Manes"
        <atmanes@...> wrote:

        > > SOA is an enterprise architectural style;
        >
        > Anne,
        >
        > that sounds promising (sorry for missing that in your blog). I
        wonder if there exists any formal approach towards enterprise
        architecture and IT governance like the one introduced for software
        architecture by Shaw and Garlan and later Fielding.

        > I would be particulary interested in reasearch on
        >
        > - what are the elements of an enterprise architecure?
        > - what are the constraints imposed by different enterprise
        architectural styles?
        > - are these constraints testable?
        > - what are the properties that a given style S induces in
        architecures that follow that style
        > - how do IT architects and IT governance in general benefit from
        these properties, IOW, do
        > the induced properties trace to effects that are measurable and
        predictable from an IT
        > governance POV? What are the practical implications of a style for
        the enterprise architect's quest.