Gartner & SOA: Webinar

  • Gervas Douglas
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 5:11 AM
      There will be a Webinar given by the great Roy Schulte of Gartner
      (what Jasmine terms "l'Oracle de la SOA") on SOA/WS etc. Details can
      be found at the link below:

      Gervas

      http://www.ebizq.net/expoq/events/event39.html
    • Gervas Douglas
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3 2:55 AM
        Don't forget today's Webinar at 12:00 EST, 17:00 GMT! In the
        meantime here is an extract from a report on a speech from a certain
        Carl Claunch of Gartner:

        "One sector that still needs to grow in terms of maturity,
        particularly in terms of standards, is Web services. However, Claunch
        encouraged IT managers to stick with Web services efforts, noting
        that a key breakthrough will be the continued use of the technology
        by developers and independent software vendors between now and 2006.
        By that time, he said, ISVs will be changing the way software is
        built, he said."

        So now you know how much time you hae to implement WS software with,
        of course, a proper SOA substructure. To read the article this
        extract was taken from go to:

        http://searchcio.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid19_gci8908
        67,00.html?Exclusive=True

        --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Gervas
        Douglas" <gervasdouglas@y...> wrote:
        > There will be a Webinar given by the great Roy Schulte of Gartner
        > (what Jasmine terms "l'Oracle de la SOA") on SOA/WS etc. Details
        can
        > be found at the link below:
        >
        > Gervas
        >

        > http://www.ebizq.net/expoq/events/event39.html
      • Sarode, Prashant
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3 6:44 AM
          I see a lot of discussion on this board centered around implementation of SOA and I agree that WS is the most talked about implementations of SOA. As a group we need to encourage and promote "How to think SOA?" or rather "How to be Architects ?" rather than being "Developers of WS".

          In terms of peoples experiences I would like to know :

          1.How did they solve a Business Problem using SOA approach?

          2.How did they market or promote the SOA solution to the top tier IT management(who often do not at first place understand any technology....forget about architecture)?

          3.How did they zeroed on the list of choices of various implementations?

          4.How did they develop & then supported their implementations?

          In my case ,  I had tremendous issues in convincing people at my level (which essentially techno-magament level) to do think about item#1. With great fight and POCs I moved past item1# and then struggled badly in item2#. As an indiviual I didn't had problems on item#3 and 4. But in my organization my SOA initiative faded at item#2.

          And then there this issue of we have an a BEA Weblogic App server which we bought spending millions..so what do we do with it in SOA approach? I guess there was also one messaged discussed about a need of APP server on this board yesterday.

          If you have a legacy application then I agree with the guys from cape clear that APP server is not a must(proabably cape clear is must...was that the point which cape clear was driving :) ).

          But when a new application is made and presumably on java side.... then we definately require an App server infrastructure...

          I am assuming we all would have meaningful SOA implemenation involving transactions, messaging, clustering etc. etc. App server provides for all this SOAP is merely and entry point....

          Prashant Sarode
          Sr. Enterprise Applications Architect
          Investors Bank & Trust Co.
          (W)617 937 7166
          pmsarode@...

          Don't forget today's Webinar at 12:00 EST, 17:00 GMT!  In the
          meantime here is an extract from a report on a speech from a certain
          Carl Claunch of Gartner:

          "One sector that still needs to grow in terms of maturity,
          particularly in terms of standards, is Web services. However, Claunch
          encouraged IT managers to stick with Web services efforts, noting
          that a key breakthrough will be the continued use of the technology
          by developers and independent software vendors between now and 2006.
          By that time, he said, ISVs will be changing the way software is
          built, he said."

          So now you know how much time you hae to implement WS software with,
          of course, a proper SOA substructure.  To read the article this
          extract was taken from go to:

          http://searchcio.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid19_gci8908
          67,00.html?Exclusive=True

          --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Gervas
          Douglas" <gervasdouglas@y...> wrote:
          > There will be a Webinar given by the great Roy Schulte of Gartner
          > (what Jasmine terms "l'Oracle de la SOA") on SOA/WS etc.  Details
          can
          > be found at the link below:
          >
          > Gervas
          >

          > http://www.ebizq.net/expoq/events/event39.html

          This message and any attached documents contain information
          which may be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from
          disclosure under applicable law. These materials are solely for
          the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
          recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that any
          distribution, disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification
          or the taking of any action in reliance upon this transmission is
          strictly prohibited. Delivery of this message to any person other
          than the intended recipient shall not compromise or waive
          such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as
          to this communication.

          the sender immediately and delete this message from your system.
        • Michael Poulin
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3 6:43 PM
            Prashant, I am with you in the movement into "How to think SOA?" or rather "How to be Architects ?" rather than being "Developers of WS". At techno-magament level, we know that unless "business" is sold on the "how", "what is it for" and "what ROI might be expected", there will be no place for serious WS development in our days. Sorry, folks, this is our reality, which I would, personally, exchange to the WS development immediately, with closed eyes, if I could.

            Moreover, last year ( when I applied to an architect position at Investors Bank & Trust Co. ) I had an impression that you did sell the WS Idea to your management and already playing within item#3 and 4. It is a pity to hear what's happened.

            As of App Servers, it is good to have them dealing with transactions, messaging, clustering etc. Is it a must, do not think so. However, it totally depends on concrete project goal and its constraints. As an analogous example, in my current project, we have developed our own DAOs instead of Entity Beans working on WebSphere 4.0 ( constraints: WAS 4.0 is required but its J2EE version is obsolete ).

            - Michael Poulin

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 8 3:31 AM
              I have just come across an article on eBizQ which quotes the Schulte
              Webinar (article is written by the Moderator) and attempts to explain
              how to go about "creating enterprise agility through service-oriented
              and event-driven architectures.. ".

              You can find the article at the link below:

              http://eai.ebizq.net/str/goldbernstein_7.html

              --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, Michael
              Poulin <michael.poulin@r...> wrote:
> [...]
              SOA
              > > approach? I guess there was also one messaged discussed about a
              need
              > > of APP server on this board yesterday.
              > >
              > > If you have a legacy application then I agree with the guys from
              cape
              > > clear that APP server is not a must(proabably cape clear is
              must...was
              > > that the point which cape clear was driving :) ).
              > >
              > > But when a new application is made and presumably on java
              side....
              > > then we definately require an App server infrastructure...
              > >
              > > I am assuming we all would have meaningful SOA implemenation
              involving
              > > transactions, messaging, clustering etc. etc. App server provides
              for
              > > all this SOAP is merely and entry point....

              Webinar

              ****

              *******

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=226671.2265556.3698777.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17
              05007181:HM/A=1316592/R=0/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?
              sharperimage-
              best+wKFPBY:dmad/M=226671.2265556.3698777.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=170500
              7181:HM/A=1316592/R=1/1049384339+dm940.html>

              Service