Re: [service-orientated-architecture] ESB Standard Definition - SOA capabilities and its categorization

  • Michael Poulin
    Message 1 of 60 , Apr 1 2:41 AM
      I share your sarcasm, Steve. Aspects embedding is an OO approach, not SO one.

      However, here is, at least, one way of setting a 'liability insurance' on the 3rd party services that have different or none security embedded - a policy/security bridge. It is an intermediary, which performs resolution between different security  algorithms and/or performs security controls if a service does not have any. Certainly, a bridge cannot cover the 'leg' between its end-point and  related consumer or receiver end-pint for such unsecured service but it is better than nothing.
      Since the bridge acts for the SOA, it can be considered as a SOA infrastructure, i.e. as a SOA capability related to security.

      - Michael

      Steve Jones <jones.steveg@...> wrote:
      How would you see security being done between various 3rd party services?

      On 30 Mar 2007 08:34:25 -0700, Bill Barr < bbarr@expedia. com> wrote:
      Security is best left as an aspect embedded into the design of any specific SOA. Security is really a thought process, not a capability.

      Message 60 of 60 , Apr 4 1:27 PM
        Issue 1: Infrastructure vs. Business Functionalities

        We may not always find implementation of
        infrastructure functionalities (IF) in the market and
        have to code them in house. Also there maybe generic
        IF and specific IF and we have to code specific IF in
        house. We could find a good mix of products in the
        market that maximize our needs to reduce coding
        effort.

        Issue 2: Implementation of IF

        Not all IFs are implemented as services. The
        architecture of services (someone will ellaborate what
        that is) should be consistent. A mediator does not
        have the same architecture as that of transfromation
        service for example. Mediator is a messaging hub (or
        bus) through which asychronousity/reliability is
        achieved. Provider and consumer are loosely coupled in
        the sense that provider has no knowledge who'll
        receive the message. There is a contract between
        provider and bus that the bus will deliver the message
        and another contract between bus and consumer that the
        message will be reliably delivered to the consumer.
        The bus may support multiple protocols or one standard
        protocol and other protocol messaging hubs are plugged
        into as an abstraction points.

        I think we still need a messaging backbone in concept
        without limiting to a particular protocol. This
        messaging backbone is the mediator, or bus, to
        differentiate from the concept of services. It is
        just more clear to me in terms of implementation
        instead of just through ideas around and let others to
        implement. You said "Mediators rely on infrastructure
        services i the ISM to implement the required IF." So
        you actually differentiate mediators from service.

        I think that two key component to ESB: service
        container and messaging hub (bus, mediator). (refer to
        David Chappel's book ESB) If we are clear what they
        are, it would be easier to communicate.

        Jerry

        === message truncated ===

        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265