Re: [service-orientated-architecture] Will SOA Conflict with Agile?

  • Jerry Zhu
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 31, 2006
      Agile is in the other end of warterfall - break down
      the project into more smaller iterations. For agile
      methods change is good. For waterfall, change is bad
      to be controlled. They are all RUP vairiations. For
      RUP change is inevitable. there is no way to do
      things right the first time.

      SOA method is different from RUP in kind. SOA method
      has the capacity to do things right the first time.
      http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-soad1/

      Jerry

      --- jeffrschneider <jeffrschneider@...> wrote:

      > If an organization chooses to embrace a service
      > oriented composition /
      > integration method, are they likely to find the
      > process conflicting
      > with one or more of the principles of the Agile
      > Manifesto?
      >
      > see: http://www.agilemanifesto.org/
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jeff

      (http://voice.yahoo.com)
    • Dennis Sosnoski
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 2, 2006
        I did point out in my original post that while the actual service
        components of SOA are (IMHO) inherently non-Agile, they support an Agile
        approach to building applications that use the service components (what
        you're calling Business Agility, if I understand you correctly).
        Overall, the improved agility at the business level more than makes up
        for the loss of agility at the service level (or at least it should -
        otherwise your SOA is just pouring money down a rat hole).

        - Dennis

        Dennis M. Sosnoski
        SOA, Web Services, and XML
        Training and Consulting