Re: Who coined the term, "Service Oriented Architecture"?

  • jeffrschneider
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 30 7:09 AM
      I'm finding the same answer. According to Gartner, it was Yefim
      Natis of Gartner, see:
      http://www.gartner.com/resources/114300/114358/114358.pdf

      Jeff

      --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Steve
      Jones" <jones.steveg@...> wrote:

      > According to Wikipedia its Gartner from the mid 90s, but I
      remember being
      > talked through a "services based architecture" in the early 90s.
      My money
      > would be on something similar to OO where it was "invented" decades
      > before....
      >
      > Actually I remember... it was me in 1973, but I forgot to tell
      anyone.

      > On 28/09/06, jeffrschneider <jeffrschneider@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Who coined the term, "Service Oriented Architecture"?
      > >
      > > I recently received an email from an individual who claimed to
      be the
      > > originator. The fact is, I don't know - does anyone else?
      > > Jeff

    • Stefan Tilkov
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 30 10:15 AM
        On Sep 30, 2006, at 2:52 AM, Ashley at Metamaxim wrote:

        > The description of the architecture given in this paper is
        > definitely SOA.

        I always wonder how some folks can be so sure. I've read and talked
        and occasionally written about SOA for a few years now, but I'm still
        not sure I know the litmus test for a statement like this yet.

        Stefan
        --
        Stefan Tilkov, http://www.innoq.com/blog/st/
      • Roger Itai
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 30 2:28 PM
          Sybase people, since 1995 use the term Service Based Architecture in their PowerBuilder Foundation Class (PFC) framework.

          Ashley at Metamaxim <ashley.mcneile@...> escreveu:
          I have an internal document from Fannie Mae (Federal National Mortgage Association in the US) dated February 28, 1997, that describes their architecture strategy for the next two years (1997-1998) using SBA (Service Based Architecture) . The description of the architecture given in this paper is definitely SOA.

          I know that the architecture described in this paper was implemented.

          Rgds
          Ashley

        • Gervas Douglas
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 1, 2006
            Didn't he invent "SOA 2.0" as well? Is there no limit to this man's
            taxonomical creativity?:)

            Actually I think it is almost impossible to find a truthful answer to
            these questions - all you can possibly establish is who was the first
            person to publish it. Imagine a group of software
            philosopher-architects in Amsterdam at the end of a hard day's
            conference. One of them says, "fancy a beer?". They notice a
            coffeshop across the street. Another one says, "how about a coffee
            instead?" Later on that evening someone strings together the words
            SERVICE-ORIENTED-ARCHITECURE.

            The next morning they feel at peace with the world and have vague,
            confused memories of the previous evening. The details are lost in a
            vague blur....

            Two days later someone is sitting in an office in say, Staines (very
            inspiring location), writing an authoritative paper on software
            infrastructure. Suddenly the term "Service-Oriented Architecture"
            pops up in his/her head and flows down to the fingertips as they tap
            energetically away on the keyboard....

            Gervas

            --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com,
            "jeffrschneider" <jeffrschneider@...> wrote:

            > I'm finding the same answer. According to Gartner, it was Yefim
            > Natis of Gartner, see:
            > http://www.gartner.com/resources/114300/114358/114358.pdf
            >
            > Jeff
            >

            > --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Steve
            > Jones" <jones.steveg@> wrote:
            > >
            > > According to Wikipedia its Gartner from the mid 90s, but I
            > remember being
            > > talked through a "services based architecture" in the early 90s.
            > My money
            > > would be on something similar to OO where it was "invented" decades
            > > before....
            > >
            > > Actually I remember... it was me in 1973, but I forgot to tell
            > anyone.
            > >

            > > On 28/09/06, jeffrschneider <jeffrschneider@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Who coined the term, "Service Oriented Architecture"?
            > > >
            > > > I recently received an email from an individual who claimed to
            > be the
            > > > originator. The fact is, I don't know - does anyone else?
            > > > Jeff

          • Ashley at Metamaxim
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 1, 2006
              Stefan wrote:

              > I always wonder how some folks can be so sure. I've read and talked
              > and occasionally written about SOA for a few years now, but I'm still
              > not sure I know the litmus test for a statement like this yet.

              You are right -- I forgot the "IMHO".

              Rgds
              Ashley
            • Jan Algermissen
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 1, 2006
                On Sep 30, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Stefan Tilkov wrote:

                > On Sep 30, 2006, at 2:52 AM, Ashley at Metamaxim wrote:
                >
                > > The description of the architecture given in this paper is
                > > definitely SOA.
                >
                > I always wonder how some folks can be so sure. I've read and talked
                > and occasionally written about SOA for a few years now, but I'm still
                > not sure I know the litmus test for a statement like this yet.
                That is because SOA is not an architectural style but a domain model
                design
                approach.

                It it was an architectural style, one would be able to enumerate its
                software architectural constraints.

                Jan

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 1, 2006
                  > The next morning they feel at peace with the world and have
                  vague,
                  > confused memories of the previous evening. The details are lost
                  in a
                  > vague blur....

                  It's all so horribly familiar.

                  Rgds
                  Ashley
                • Anil John
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 1, 2006
                    <Jan Algermissen>
                    That is because SOA is not an architectural style but a domain model
                    Design approach. It it was an architectural style, one would be able to
                    enumerate its software architectural constraints.
                    </Jan Algermissen>

                    IEEE defines architecture as the fundamental organization of a system
                    embodied in its components, their relationships to each other and to the
                    environment and the principles guiding its design and evolution.

                    Using this definition, SOA is an architectural style that is guided by a set
                    of design principles.

                    As to what those design principles are, you will get different variations
                    from different folks, but I've always found the 8 given by Erl in his book
                    to be a good starting point.
                    - Formal Contract
                    - Discoverbility
                    - Statelessness
                    - Reusability
                    - Composability
                    - Autonomous
                    - Loose Coupling
                    - Abstraction

                    As to what degree one emphasizes or de-emphasizes each depends on the
                    perspective that one brings to the table.

                    Regards,

                    - Anil

                    :-
                    :- Anil John