Re: [service-orientated-architecture] What is SOA?

  • Steve Jones
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 30, 2006
      To build on this

      SOA is about architecture, which means its about thinking and planning, REST, SOAP, EDA et al are not architectural styles they are implementation styles.  You can have a consistent SOA that is implemented in any one of those implementation approaches. I blogged about this related to SOA 2.0 (http://service-architecture.blogspot.com/2006/06/soa-20-what-next.html).

      SOA has to not be about technology because I think we've pretty much proven that as an approach being focused on technology doesn't work.

      Steve

      On 30/06/06, Anne Thomas Manes <atmanes@...> wrote:

      I would put REST into a slightly different category from the technologies. REST is an architectural style, not a technology. REST has a lot in common with SOA, but it is resource-oriented rather than service-oriented. Nonetheless, the two architectural styles are compatible. You can expose services as resources. REST applies additional constraints to SOA, which for some applications provide really beneficial advantages (especially scalability).

      If you start your design from a SOA perspective, then you have a choice at implementation time as to whether or not you want to expose the service as a resource (via a RESTful interface). In that regard, REST feels more like a technology than an architectural style. From the SOA perspective, I would put REST into the same category as "event driven architecture" (EDA). Both constrain and influence service design.

      (If you start your design from a REST perspective, then you have a choice as to whether you want your resource to be a service. It's a different mindset. But this is a SOA discussion list, therefore my analysis comes from the SOA perspective.)

      Anne

      On 6/30/06, Steve Jones < jones.steveg@...> wrote:

      Ahhh and here is the number one thing that I think SOA is NOT about....

      Technology.

      REST, SOAP, WSDL, Pink Pixies, JMS, UML, BPMN, BPEL et al have NOTHING to do with Architecture they are all about the design and implementation.

      Part of the Service Oriented Delivery of IT... or SOD IT.

      Steve

      On 30/06/06, Jim Alateras <jima@... > wrote:

      Mark,

      Since REST is an architectural style based on resource abstractions
      does it fulfill the first criteria.....I guess the resources are exposed
      as services through a uniform interface.

      What's you take

      cheers
      </jima>

      Mark Baker wrote:
      > On 6/29/06, Anne Thomas Manes <atmanes@...> wrote:
      >

      >> I list two fundamental principles:
      >>- service-orientation
      >>- loose coupling
      >

      > Sweet! By these measures alone, REST is a better SOA than WS. It's
      > probably a toss-up wrt service-orientation, but REST is clearly more
      > loosely coupled than WS because it separates the concerns of interface
      > and implementation far better... as we've discussed before;

      > Mark.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jerry Zhu
      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 22, 2006
        I follow Davenport's idea that business process is
        defined along three dimensions: entity, object, and
        activity. Entity can be people or computer programs
        and are called actors. Objects are what are operated
        by softare such as a letter, a file, or a
        representation of something such as a billing method
        (electronic or paper) etc. Business process has start
        point as actor actions (begin by customers) and end
        points (end with customers). The three dimensions
        give us opportunity to find abstractions in each of
        the three dimension. Business process contains itself
        so we have atomic business processes and composite
        processes. Atomic business processes are composed of
        business activities that can be a hierarchy also. So
        we have atomic business activities and composite
        activities. As such we have a hierarchy business
        process model with business activities at lower level
        and business processes at higher level. Both
        activities and processes are unique so they are reused
        at all levels.

        Once we have this business process modeling in place,
        we need to define services. I define services as
        business processes but not activities. All services
        are business processes. Highest composite business
        processes are not services but may become services in
        the future.

        busincess activities and atomic business processes are
        implemented as COM(or EJBs) objects. Services will
        group relevent COM objects as executable agents. Here
        is the benefits to build SOA on component technology.

        If activities in a business process are not shared any
        where even in the future then the executable agent of
        the services don't have to be implemented in Object or
        Component technologies.

        have to go. Will be back later.

        Jerry

        === message truncated ===