Basics

  • Luis Felipe Gomes Carvalho
    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hello,

      I work on an IT company that works for a big enterprise here in Brazil. This enterprise is intending to use Web Services as the main technology for development and demanded that new projects were built using that technology.

      So, I've been studying SOA/Web Services for the last two months in order to understand it better. Until now, I could see that the best way to develop softwares using Web Services is to build coarse-grained services, using contract-first development in order to guarantee that the focus is on the business processes (I hope I am on the right path...). In my opinion, these characteristics are very important so we do not use Web Services just as some means to call a remote procedure.

      The fact is that I need some orientation in other important stuff regarding SOA. I see a lot of buzzwords in this group, such as Enterprise Service Bus and Business Process Management, but I think I don't really understand the importance of these kinds of stuff in the development of quality services.

      Could anyone guide me?

      Thanks in advance,
      Luis Felipe

      PS: Feel free to correct my english...

    • appsj
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 24, 2006
        I have been involved in a project with .NET as the middle tier talking
        Web Services to a backend running Axis/Tomcat and from there to
        business functions ("services") written in COBOL.
        The .NET side of things was simple once the required services had been
        defined; the COBOL piece was not quite as simple as the COBOL programs
        had to be turned into functions --many were main programs and thus not
        callable-- which, in turn, called other functions according to the
        scope and definition of the service being called.
        I am hoping to obtain permission from the customer, whom I'm visiting
        next week, to 1) write a testimonial on the work, 2) submit a talk to
        JavaOne and 3) something of a white paper describing the work in some
        detail.

        Cheers, john
        --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Gervas