Re: [service-orientated-architecture] Steve on RPC

  • Gregg Wonderly
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 1, 2010
      The simple issue is that the use of the term RPC (perhaps RPC-like would make it
      less implementation like) is still being taken as an "implementation" rather
      than an "architectural" mechanism. The introduction of asynchronous behaviors
      doesn't change the fact that at some point, that asynchronous action would be
      requested by an entity executing some set of ordered steps. It's that
      underlying order that this is all about. You need to confine your thought
      processes, during architectural design, to order sets of operations so that you
      are burdened by that process, to think about what it will take to make these
      types of synchronizations happen in a distributed system.

      Some other thoughts...

      The issue of separating the "sending the message" vs "consumption and action" is
      the "architectural" consideration. There are lots of ways to do this, but the
      exclusive nature of the two messages implies that a synchronization point
      exists, not necessarily that a synchronous messaging mechanism is necessary.

      A 2PC based transactional control might be appropriate, but the send and receive
      of the message could very much be asynchronous with other operations in the
      system. You might then just code the synchronization step into the send section
      of the system on both ends to check to see if the other message has been
      received before sending.

      You'd then also need to use a second synchronization point at the point of
      "acting" on the received message to not process the message if you've sent your
      message. Because those two checks happen in the same "process", it would be
      very easy to make the synchronization work exactly as needed. If both messages
      are in flight at the same time, then both sides would choose to not act on what
      they have received, because they've sent a message. This is where transactional
      mechanisms work out as a better solution than lots of logical checks.

      If time considerations are important, you could do that check as well to decide
      who actually sent a message first, perhaps. But, time based synchronization is
      hardly ever a good thing in a distributed system, because of clock granularity.

      You can still write RPC-like interface details, and put the appropriate
      description of the constraints. Adding transactions into the mix doesn't
      present a change in what needs to be done. It's just one way that you can
      manage some types of interactions that have distributed sychronization needs.

      Gregg Wonderly

    • Anders Tell
      Message 56 of 56 , May 11, 2010
        Yes, carefully crafted transaction mgmt protocols may simply processing, especially in a inter-organisational setting, with a single point of control.
        However in a multi party situation with some level of distrust, the game still change. The common sense idea of "reach the desk" still applies, even in a situation where one party has a poorly executing system.  The key is the balance of risk, who is responsible of case of failure? In most B2B scenarios parties does not like to assume the risk of others.

        Its also discouraging that most (business) SOA design disciplines don't incorporate the balance (and cost) of risk.

        /anders w. tell

        On Apr 6, 2010, at 11:57 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

        Anders Tell wrote:
        > In a legally relevant transaction- protocol there are more end states to
        > consider such as dispute. So technically protocols and solution can be
        > improved to be more business like an handle more scenarios.

        One the things that can happen, is that transaction participants can be added
        that can check the things that are unimportant to the IT infrastructure, but
        necessary for the business case. By using transaction participants, you avoid
        layering logic in various places, and instead, you can provide a pluggable API
        in a software system which can allow additional logic to be implemented by
        simply adding more participants that can "vote" on the validity of what is
        happening.

        The use of transactional agreement is often viewed as a problematic step to take
        but, in the end, you'll end up writing transaction structured code for these
        kinds of things anyway. Jini provides a simple to use transactional model and
        because it standardized and setting at your finger tips, it's easy to just do it
        and thus guarantee the sanity of the operation.

        Yes, software can have bugs, and a transaction participant may not be
        implemented correctly. But this is no different than any other bit of software.
        One must test and demonstrate fitness of the system at the appropriate level.

        Gregg Wonderly