Re: Roch on SOA Registry Repository Tool Integration

  • l.wilkes@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2009
      I have been doing a lot of work on this subject of late, and published several new reports http://cbdi.wikispaces.com/Service+Asset+Management

      The challenge I have found with products WSRR and others is that out of the box, their meta model of asset types and relationships is relatively small. It is focused more on the cataloguing of operational services and a few associated assets and relationships (e.g. where consumed), whereas we see the bigger challenge as being the full life-cycle aspects. What about knowing what services are planned for example, and what their current status is? Or where is the more detailed service specification for the service, not just the WSDL? or the business models that were used to identify/derive the services in the first place?

      Fortunately, these products are extensible, so it is not hard to start supporting and recording this data in the registry/repository. However, you need to start by modeling the meta model of what you intend to record (rather than allowin it to get extended in an unplanned way). And we don't expect every organization to want to have to do that from scratch. The CBDI-SAE meta model and the SOA deliverables we have identified in SAE are a good starting point for that, and this is one of the things I have been researching and providing guidance on how to implement our model and approach in tools like WSRR.

      Lawrence