Re: [service-orientated-architecture] Anne's Fans

  • Anne Thomas Manes
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
      I tried to convince Dave to join my team years ago, but he was looking
      for a different type of opportunity. We just have a mutual admiration
      society. The article was a surprise to me.

      Anne

      On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Gervas Douglas
      <gervas.douglas@...> wrote:
      > <<On Oct. 20-23, The Burton Group is having their Catalyst Conference
      > Europe in Prague. I spoke at this event several years ago in Spain,
      > and I was impressed by the conference. I've known Anne Thomas Manes
      > since 1996 and always love her take on any emerging hype-driven space.
      > It's, well, real world.
      >
      > What's important about the research that these guys are doing is that
      > they are discovering what's not working, along with what is. That's
      > very different than the other firms that seem to focus on what's
      > hype-driven, and not how to make specific things work within complex
      > and politically-driven enterprises.
      >
      > Personally, in the world of SOA I've focused on the "what" and the
      > "how," and the "how" is much harder. However, without the "how" the
      > "what" has no value. For instance, a SOA governance tool has no value
      > without dealing with the people, processes, procedures, and politics
      > (the 4 Ps of SOA success). SOA never comes in a box, and sometimes
      > what comes in that box isn't what you need.
      >
      > The following is from the Application Platform Strategies overview, by
      > Anne:
      >
      > Most large enterprises have launched an initiative to adopt
      > service-oriented architecture (SOA), but SOA is not a solution that
      > comes in a tidy little box. SOA is a new way to design systems, and it
      > is more about culture than it is about technology. SOA will impact
      > many aspects of an organization -- from software development and
      > operations to accounting and incentive systems. Governance is critical.
      >
      > I Could not have said it better.>>
      >
      > You can find these words of adulation at:
      >
      > http://weblog.infoworld.com/realworldsoa/archives/2008/09/burton_group_as.html?source=NLC-SOA&cgd=2008-09-30
      >
      > Does this mean that David Linthicum is on the verge of defecting from
      > ZapThink to Burton???
      >
      > Gervas

    • mikomatsumura
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
        I had the great fortune to be invited to speak at Catalyst in
        Barcelona last year, which was a great honor and a wonderful
        opportunity to see my friend and respected analyst Anne.

        I must say that the Catalyst conference I went to was very impressive
        in its content and was well-organized. Overall, I would say that
        Burton is a great company and of course Anne Thomas Manes is more
        deeply involved in all aspects including the technology, the standards
        and the process of SOA adoption than just about any analyst I can
        think of.

        So if there's a fan club forming, I'm in for a propeller-beanie.

        Miko

        --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Thomas
        Manes" <atmanes@...> wrote:

        > I tried to convince Dave to join my team years ago, but he was looking
        > for a different type of opportunity. We just have a mutual admiration
        > society. The article was a surprise to me.
        >
        > Anne
        >
        > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Gervas Douglas
        > <gervas.douglas@...> wrote:
        > > <<On Oct. 20-23, The Burton Group is having their Catalyst Conference
        > > Europe in Prague. I spoke at this event several years ago in Spain,
        > > and I was impressed by the conference. I've known Anne Thomas Manes
        > > since 1996 and always love her take on any emerging hype-driven space.
        > > It's, well, real world.
        > >
        > > What's important about the research that these guys are doing is that
        > > they are discovering what's not working, along with what is. That's
        > > very different than the other firms that seem to focus on what's
        > > hype-driven, and not how to make specific things work within complex
        > > and politically-driven enterprises.
        > >
        > > Personally, in the world of SOA I've focused on the "what" and the
        > > "how," and the "how" is much harder. However, without the "how" the
        > > "what" has no value. For instance, a SOA governance tool has no value
        > > without dealing with the people, processes, procedures, and politics
        > > (the 4 Ps of SOA success). SOA never comes in a box, and sometimes
        > > what comes in that box isn't what you need.
        > >
        > > The following is from the Application Platform Strategies overview, by
        > > Anne:
        > >
        > > Most large enterprises have launched an initiative to adopt
        > > service-oriented architecture (SOA), but SOA is not a solution that
        > > comes in a tidy little box. SOA is a new way to design systems, and it
        > > is more about culture than it is about technology. SOA will impact
        > > many aspects of an organization -- from software development and
        > > operations to accounting and incentive systems. Governance is
        critical.

        > > I Could not have said it better.>>
        > >
        > > You can find these words of adulation at:

        http://weblog.infoworld.com/realworldsoa/archives/2008/09/burton_group_as.html?source=NLC-SOA&cgd=2008-09-30

        > > Does this mean that David Linthicum is on the verge of defecting from
        > > ZapThink to Burton???
        > >
        > > Gervas

      • David Chappell
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
          +1 on the conference, and ++1 on Anne!  I already have my beanie on order :)
          Dave

          Manes" <atmanes@... > wrote:

          > I tried to convince Dave to join my team years ago, but he was looking
          > for a different type of opportunity. We just have a mutual admiration
          > society. The article was a surprise to me.
          >
          > Anne
          >
          > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Gervas Douglas
          > <gervas.douglas@ ...> wrote:
          > > <<On Oct. 20-23, The Burton Group is having their Catalyst Conference
          > > Europe in Prague. I spoke at this event several years ago in Spain,
          > > and I was impressed by the conference. I've known Anne Thomas Manes
          > > since 1996 and always love her take on any emerging hype-driven space.
          > > It's, well, real world.
          > >
          > > What's important about the research that these guys are doing is that
          > > they are discovering what's not working, along with what is. That's
          > > very different than the other firms that seem to focus on what's
          > > hype-driven, and not how to make specific things work within complex
          > > and politically- driven enterprises.
          > >
          > > Personally, in the world of SOA I've focused on the "what" and the
          > > "how," and the "how" is much harder. However, without the "how" the
          > > "what" has no value. For instance, a SOA governance tool has no value
          > > without dealing with the people, processes, procedures, and politics
          > > (the 4 Ps of SOA success). SOA never comes in a box, and sometimes
          > > what comes in that box isn't what you need.
          > >
          > > The following is from the Application Platform Strategies overview, by
          > > Anne:
          > >
          > > Most large enterprises have launched an initiative to adopt
          > > service-oriented architecture (SOA), but SOA is not a solution that
          > > comes in a tidy little box. SOA is a new way to design systems, and it
          > > is more about culture than it is about technology. SOA will impact
          > > many aspects of an organization -- from software development and
          > > operations to accounting and incentive systems. Governance is
          critical.

          > > I Could not have said it better.>>
          > >
          > > You can find these words of adulation at:

          http://weblog. infoworld. com/realworldsoa /archives/ 2008/09/burton_ group_as. html?source= NLC-SOA&cgd= 2008-09-30

          > > Does this mean that David Linthicum is on the verge of defecting from
          > > ZapThink to Burton???
          > >
          > > Gervas

        • Anne Thomas Manes
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
            Thanks Miko!

            I think we should start up a Miko fan club too!
            (I had the great honor to work with Miko for 6 months at Systinet.)

            Anne

          • Gervas Douglas
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
              I know that you are all wonderful, highly intelligent, charming
              people. I do find all this mutual praise hard to cope with being what
              the Sasunnachan call a Sweaty (translation: English call the Scots)....

              Gervas (a curmudgeonly Black Douglas)

              Manes" <atmanes@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Miko!
              >
              > I think we should start up a Miko fan club too!
              > (I had the great honor to work with Miko for 6 months at Systinet.)
              >
              > Anne
              >
              > On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:20 PM, mikomatsumura <mikomatsumura@...> wrote:
              > > I had the great fortune to be invited to speak at Catalyst in
              > > Barcelona last year, which was a great honor and a wonderful
              > > opportunity to see my friend and respected analyst Anne.
              > >
              > > I must say that the Catalyst conference I went to was very impressive
              > > in its content and was well-organized. Overall, I would say that
              > > Burton is a great company and of course Anne Thomas Manes is more
              > > deeply involved in all aspects including the technology, the standards
              > > and the process of SOA adoption than just about any analyst I can
              > > think of.
              > >
              > > So if there's a fan club forming, I'm in for a propeller-beanie.
              > >
              > > Miko
              > >
              > > --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Thomas
              > >
              > > Manes" <atmanes@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> I tried to convince Dave to join my team years ago, but he was
              looking
              > >> for a different type of opportunity. We just have a mutual admiration
              > >> society. The article was a surprise to me.
              > >>
              > >> Anne

              Conference

              > > critical.

              http://weblog.infoworld.com/realworldsoa/archives/2008/09/burton_group_as.html?source=NLC-SOA&cgd=2008-09-30

            • Anne Thomas Manes
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2008
                We (Burton Group) had a last minute change of plans, and it turns out
                that I will act as substitute for my colleague Chris Howard at the SOA
                Symposium next week in Amsterdam (http://www.soasymposium.com/). I'll
                giving three presentations: two on the 7th and one on the 8th.

                And, of course, I will be at Catalyst in Prague 20-20 October.
                (http://www.catalyst.burtongroup.com/EU08/index.html)

                Anne