Re: [service-orientated-architecture] Re: A RESTafarian who eschews the use of SOAP

  • Alan Dean
    Message 1 of 166 , Jul 31, 2008
      On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Steve Jones <jones.steveg@...> wrote:

      > OTA (Open Travel Alliance) would be another set.
      >
      > Admittedly these are just large scale business pieces with large revenues.

      Can't ... hold ... back ... any longer ... must ... speak ...

      This commentary is not provided from a position of ignorance. I was
      previously the Lead Developer for the B2B division of lastminute.com

      OK, let's first indicate the owners manual:

      http://www.opentravel.org/
      http://www.opentravel.org/Specifications/Default.aspx

      You'll notice that the OTA only specify an XML Schema, not a transport
      mechanism. So far as I know, the OTA is agnostic between REST or SOAP
      -over- HTTP / TCP-IP / Carrier-Pigeon.

      Next, although many of the messages passed around in the travel
      industry do follow (kinda) the OTA specs - many do not.

      Finally, let's talk scalability (and now that my time in travel is in
      my past, I can chuckle about this). Most of the intermediaries in the
      travel industry have systems that scale so poorly that they sue when
      you make too many requests (this isn't urban legend - I know from
      personal experience).

      I'll repeat that. They sue their own customers.

      We were in the business of aggregating data from a large number of
      providers. For travel, about 100. For hotels, many hundreds. Some of
      these were WS-* / SOAP implementations. Some were screen-scraped from
      terminals (I kid ye not). Quite a number were screen-scraped from the
      web (EasyJet is a good example - technically, they prohibit
      aggregation / resale so they provide no integration point).

      I'll tell you the ones which scaled well. The website screen scrapers.
      Go figure ;-)

      Regards,
      Alan Dean
      http://tinyurl.com/but-does-it-scale
    • 1589cb5d7c61c18b5748b74490d0fcd6
      Message 166 of 166 , Nov 22, 2013

        Hi guys,

        I've seen your discussion regards to OTA.

        Do you have or know where I can find an OTA server example built in .Net?

        Where can I find the OTA wsdl to import? With provided OTA stuff I can only find the isolated .xsd files. Isn't there an OTA wsdl to get imported?

        Thanks in advance

        ---In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, <atmanes@...> wrote:

        Exactly my point, John. Not everyone agrees with your (and my)
        distinction between choreography and orchestration. I'm positing that
        the person writing the original article was, in fact, talking about
        orchestration rather than choreography.

        Anne