Re: [service-orientated-architecture] Re: A RESTafarian who eschews the use of SOAP

  • Nick Gall
    Message 1 of 166 , Jul 31, 2008
      On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Steve Jones <jones.steveg@...> wrote:
      > Do UPS and SWIFT count as two obvious examples and then the Fraudlabs
      > piece would be another.
      >
      > OTA (Open Travel Alliance) would be another set.
      >
      > Admittedly these are just large scale business pieces with large revenues.

      No they don't count until you provide some evidence to back up your
      assertion that SOAP "works for the job" as you put it. Links to their
      actual API documentation would be preferable. All I have now is your
      unsubstantiated claim that SOAP is being used. I provided a link to
      the GS1 transport stats, so I think it only fair that you provide an
      comparable amount of evidence.

      What we may find is that all of them use only "empty header" SOAP
      envelopes, which would indicate that while they use SOAP in a de
      minimis sense, it really doesn't work for the job. Or perhaps we'll
      find that they offer REST or POX alternatives as well, which also
      would undercut their status as "obvious examples" of working for the
      job, since the alternatives work just as well.

      What I am really seeking are large enterprises that are truly
      leveraging the power of SOAP in ways that provide convincing evidence
      that SOAP "works for the job" in ways that other approaches would
      struggle. IME very few enterprises really need SOAP for what they are
      doing -- it was put either put in by consultants as a checklist item,
      or the tool used SOAP by default. The majority of SOAP use appears to
      be simply driven by inertia, not any belief in its superiority in
      doing the job.

      -- Nick

      Nick Gall
      Phone: +1.781.608.5871
      AOL IM: Nicholas Gall
      Yahoo IM: nick_gall_1117
      MSN IM: (same as email)
      Google Talk: (same as email)
      Email: nick.gall AT-SIGN gmail DOT com
      Weblog: http://ironick.typepad.com/ironick/
      Furl: http://www.furl.net/members/ngall
    • 1589cb5d7c61c18b5748b74490d0fcd6
      Message 166 of 166 , Nov 22, 2013

        Hi guys,

        I've seen your discussion regards to OTA.

        Do you have or know where I can find an OTA server example built in .Net?

        Where can I find the OTA wsdl to import? With provided OTA stuff I can only find the isolated .xsd files. Isn't there an OTA wsdl to get imported?

        Thanks in advance

        ---In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, <atmanes@...> wrote:

        Exactly my point, John. Not everyone agrees with your (and my)
        distinction between choreography and orchestration. I'm positing that
        the person writing the original article was, in fact, talking about
        orchestration rather than choreography.

        Anne