Re: [service-orientated-architecture] A RESTafarian who eschews the use of SOAP

  • Mark Baker
    Message 1 of 166 , Jul 28, 2008
      On 7/28/08, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@...> wrote:
      > Mark Baker wrote:
      > >
      > > Absolutely. If you need to publish outwardly-facing services to
      > > multiple parties, use REST which was designed for *exactly* that
      > > purpose. But if you won't *ever* need to expose your services
      > > publicly over their lifetime, then of course, please consider SOA. If
      > > you're not sure, and you might want to open up your services later,
      > > then I think the choice is also clear. Oh, and even if you know
      > > they'll only ever be used internally, REST is still an option, as it's
      > > the general case.
      > >
      > > No religion required.
      >

      > Um sure Mark. Sure. Par for the course, coming from you! Glad to see that
      > RESTafarian koolaid is still strong in you ;-).

      Of course it's par for the course with me. I've been predicting SOAP
      would never see widespread use outside the firewall - as well as
      explaining the technical reasons why - for over eight years now. And
      hey, whad'ya know; despite hundreds of millions (billions?) of dollars
      invested by everybody who matters in the industry, it's not seeing
      widespread use outside the firewall.

      No koolaid required, just knowledge of *both* Internet scale systems
      and software architecture.

      Mark.
    • 1589cb5d7c61c18b5748b74490d0fcd6
      Message 166 of 166 , Nov 22, 2013

        Hi guys,

        I've seen your discussion regards to OTA.

        Do you have or know where I can find an OTA server example built in .Net?

        Where can I find the OTA wsdl to import? With provided OTA stuff I can only find the isolated .xsd files. Isn't there an OTA wsdl to get imported?

        Thanks in advance

        ---In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, <atmanes@...> wrote:

        Exactly my point, John. Not everyone agrees with your (and my)
        distinction between choreography and orchestration. I'm positing that
        the person writing the original article was, in fact, talking about
        orchestration rather than choreography.

        Anne