Implementing SOA

  • Gervas Douglas <gervasdouglas@yahoo.co.u
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003
      Interesting and concise article from a thoughtful company, ZapThink:

      http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/originalContent/1,289142,sid26
      _gci882714,00.html

      Gervas
    • Gervas Douglas <gervasdouglas@yahoo.co.u
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003
        And here is an interesting article on IBM's approach:
        http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2911915,00
        .html

        Interesting to see the "on-demand" hype put in such an explicitly SOA
        context. How about this quotation from Scott Hebner, the marketing
        man responsible for WebSphere explaining why J2EE and Web Services
        (WS)alone are not sufficient: "There needs to be something else--a
        service oriented architecture (SOA) that's more than just J2EE with
        Web services." Any ideas what special technology Big Blue could best
        use to achieve this goal?

        Gervas

        Gervas

        --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Gervas
        Douglas <gervasdouglas@y...>" <gervasdouglas@y...> wrote:
        > Interesting and concise article from a thoughtful company, ZapThink:

        http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/originalContent/1,289142,sid26
        > _gci882714,00.html
        >
        > Gervas
      • Gervas Douglas
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2003
          It has been pointed out to me that yet again the URL has been cut by
          one of those wretched adverts. So here it is again further down the
          page!

          http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2911915,00
          .html

          --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Gervas
          Douglas <gervasdouglas@y...>" <gervasdouglas@y...> wrote:
          > And here is an interesting article on IBM's approach:

          http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2911915,00
          > .html
          >
          > Interesting to see the "on-demand" hype put in such an explicitly
          SOA
          > context. How about this quotation from Scott Hebner, the marketing
          > man responsible for WebSphere explaining why J2EE and Web Services
          > (WS)alone are not sufficient: "There needs to be something else--a
          > service oriented architecture (SOA) that's more than just J2EE with
          > Web services." Any ideas what special technology Big Blue could
          best
          > use to achieve this goal?
          >
          > Gervas
          >
          > Gervas
          >
          > --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Gervas
          > Douglas <gervasdouglas@y...>" <gervasdouglas@y...> wrote:
          > > Interesting and concise article from a thoughtful company,
          ZapThink:

          http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/originalContent/1,289142,sid26
          > > _gci882714,00.html
          > >
          > > Gervas
        • Enrique Heydrich
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2003
            This article is interesting for IBM's strategy. IBM obviously put a
            lot of effort into implementing workflow, choreography etc. in the
            upperlayers, but they must also use some "middleware adhesive" for
            their SOA. I think this must be Websphere MQ. It was MQ series.
            This had the reputation of a good, solid product but it is not very
            modern in design concept. I do not think they use CORBA.

            Enrique.

            Douglas" <gervasdouglas@y...> wrote:
            > It has been pointed out to me that yet again the URL has been cut
            by
            > one of those wretched adverts. So here it is again further down
            the
            > page!

            http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2911915,00
            > .html
            >
            > --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Gervas
            > Douglas <gervasdouglas@y...>" <gervasdouglas@y...> wrote:
            > > And here is an interesting article on IBM's approach:

            http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2911915,00
            > > .html
            > >
            > > Interesting to see the "on-demand" hype put in such an explicitly
            > SOA
            > > context. How about this quotation from Scott Hebner, the
            marketing
            > > man responsible for WebSphere explaining why J2EE and Web
            Services
            > > (WS)alone are not sufficient: "There needs to be something else--
            > > service oriented architecture (SOA) that's more than just J2EE
            with
            > > Web services." Any ideas what special technology Big Blue could
            > best
            > > use to achieve this goal?
            > >
            > > Gervas
            > >
            > > Gervas
            > >
            > > --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Gervas
            > > Douglas <gervasdouglas@y...>" <gervasdouglas@y...> wrote:
            > > > Interesting and concise article from a thoughtful company,
            > ZapThink:

            http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/originalContent/1,289142,sid26
            > > > _gci882714,00.html
            > > >
            > > > Gervas
          • Gervas Douglas
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2003
              I think you are probably right about them using MQ somewhere or
              other, Enrique. However I have just come across an article from the
              same source (ZDNet) in which IBM claim that WebSphere is becoming an
              SOA product through its support of XML and WS. Funny how many people
              are discovering the virtues of SOA! The URL, being in advert-evasive
              mode is at the bottom of this message.

              http://zdnet.com.com/2102-1104-983155.html

              Gervas

              --- In service-orientated-architecture@yahoogroups.com, "Enrique

            • Jasmine Schmidt
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6, 2003
                Do you think maybe IBM is using Tspaces as well? I have just seen an
                article on BEA's website about implementing SOA. You can find it at
                the address further down (to avoid the advertisement):

                http://dev2dev.bea.com/articles/518.jsp

                Jasmine