Fwd: [RN] KWAR 2004

  • WendyC@vivid.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      Looking ahead to next year....
      Irene

      ----- Forwarded message from James Crouchet <jtc@...> -----
      Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 02:17:15 -0500
      From: James Crouchet <jtc@...>
      Subject: [RN] KWAR 2004
      To: sca-rapier@..., sca-dons@..., Ansteorra-
      dons@...

      The Barony of Bryn Gwlad is proud to announce KWAR 2004 in Austin, Texas

      Whether you have been to a KWAR before or not, you haven't been to anything
      quite like this. Below is a brief description of our planned activities.
      Look for more detail on our web site, coming soon.

      KWAR 2004 will be a 4 day event starting with:

      THURSDAY -- A Day with the English Civil War Society of America. (Not an
      SCA event; we will be guests of ECWSA)
      Location: At the beautiful Sycamore Creek Ranch in the Texas Hill
      Country.
      Activities: Includes instruction and drill in loading and firing
      matchlock muskets (live fire), demos of loading and firing cannon
      (attendees might participate at the discretion of the master gunner), pike
      order and drills, blacksmith demos with lecture on historical aspects of
      backsmithing.
      Other Details: Transportation from the hotel to the ranch and back is
      provided. Box lunch will be available for a fee. Site fee for Thursday
      will be paid separately from SCA fee to avoid accounting complications.

      FRIDAY -- Melees at the Boat & Bailly
      Location: On a 75 acre estate on Lake Austin, shaded by magnificent
      pecan trees. Permanent structures on site will include a 1/3 scale mock up
      of a late period sailing vessel, a castle bailly, parts of a Tudor village
      and a small period theater (parts are still under construction).
      Activities: A full day of rapier melees and classes on fighting
      melees.
      Other Details: Transportation from and to the hotel will be provided.
      Box lunch will be available for a fee.

      FRIDAY EVENING -- Meet and Greet at the hotel.
      Location: Omni Southpark, Austin, Texas

      SATURDAY -- Classes
      Location: Omni Southpark, Austin, Texas
      Activities: Like the KWARs that have come before us we will offer
      classes for the dedicated rapier fighter. We will emphasize period
      fighting styles, advanced techniques, cutting edge ideas & equipment and
      other instruction that is hard for most SCAers to find locally.

      SATURDAY (ALTERNATE CHOICE): Offsite Activities
      Location: At large in Austin
      Activities: For Significant Others of KWAR we are considering offering
      "The Silk Road Pilgrimage". Led by some of our most talented local
      shoppers, this expedition's first stop is at Gingers Embroidery and The
      Leather Factory (next door to each other). Next is Silk Road with their
      selection of unique buttons, silks, linen and embroidered fabrics. Lunch
      is at Central Market Cafe followed by a trip through Central Market (a
      market with the feel of an international bazaar). There are several other
      unique shops nearby to explore including Book Stop but be sure to save
      time for the grand finish at Dr. Chocolate. (Please note that the SCA will
      not cover the costs of lunch or any goods purchased -- sorry, no free
      shopping spree!)

      SATURDAY NIGHT: Party in the hotel, with period games
      Location: Omni Southpark, Austin, Texas
      Activities: For those seeking an evening closer to home we will have a
      party in the hotel with an emphasis on period games. We also hope to have
      period music played by our talented local musicians and perhaps some
      dancing. A place to play, dance or just visit with new or old friends. We
      will provide drinks but you will need to get anything alcoholic from the
      hotel bar (only a few steps away) . We will also provide light food as the
      budget permits.

      SATURDAY NIGHT (ALTERNATE CHOICE): Austin Pub Crawl
      Location: At large in Austin
      Activities: Sir Gideon will lead a pub crawl (non-SCA activity) to the
      various Irish, English and similar pubs in Austin. There are plenty of
      pubs with chewy beer and good pub grub to keep you going all evening but
      with Sir Gideon leading the way there is no telling where the crawl will
      end up!

      SUNDAY: More classes, a fairwell.
      Location: Omni Southpark, Austin, Texas

      My staff is already working hard to make this an unforgettable event. We
      will have photos and more information on our web site, coming soon.

      Your KWAR 2004 Steward,
      Baron Christian Doré, WSA