Re: Surgical Tubing and Other Stuff

  • fakrmage@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1 1:19 AM
      I was thinking of shooting Kick balls. 10, 7 inch strands of tubing
      pulled 15 inches will send the kick ball flying quite nicely. If I
      used tennis balls it would be legal for heavy. And yes I'm ok with
      getting hit my myself. But it is going to take a lot of rubber to
      get that ball over the Walls at GW. Think of the hit you got in
      dodge ball. it will be about like that.
      (BTW the reason for Kick balls is that the tennisball rocks jam in
      the barrel of the test launcher I can't figure a way to make them
      round)
      Greggor
    • Wendy Colbert
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1 8:47 AM
        Have you tested what a hit with one of these might do to blades? I am
        not sure that I want one whacking my dagger blades. Also at what range
        have you been hit? What are they like from point blank range (or 10 feet)?

        Irene

        fakrmage@... wrote:

        > I was thinking of shooting Kick balls. 10, 7 inch strands of tubing
        > pulled 15 inches will send the kick ball flying quite nicely. If I
        > used tennis balls it would be legal for heavy. And yes I'm ok with
        > getting hit my myself. But it is going to take a lot of rubber to
        > get that ball over the Walls at GW. Think of the hit you got in
        > dodge ball. it will be about like that.
        > (BTW the reason for Kick balls is that the tennisball rocks jam in
        > the barrel of the test launcher I can't figure a way to make them
        > round)
        > Greggor
      • Paul Wolf, Jr.
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1 8:58 AM

          > > I was thinking of shooting Kick balls.

          I could see it but until I got hit by it and we played with it some I would
          not want to see it at a large war like Gulf.

          I am curious though.

          Leo

        • Nightwolf
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 1 9:04 AM
            Greggor, My fellow Evil Genius :-)

            Back in school, I saw some pretty nasty hit in dodge ball ... As I
            recall we had a few broken noses, a finger or three and a few
            concusions (mine included) ... but then we were playing pretty rough.
            However, i think your shots are coming out substantially slower then
            we were throwing though.

            But on to what I really wanted to talk about ... what are you using for
            a 'sling' for the shot? if it is flat, making it more conical might
            reduce you jamming problem by stablizing the shot as it starts up
            the barrel.

            Think you might have it together by the Regional practice ... I think
            a lot of us would like to see it before you drag it off to the war.

            Just a though.
            Tomas
            Who is planning a RBG Blunderbuss :-D

            fakrmage@... wrote:

            > I was thinking of shooting Kick balls. 10, 7 inch strands of tubing
            > pulled 15 inches will send the kick ball flying quite nicely. If I
            > used tennis balls it would be legal for heavy. And yes I'm ok with
            > getting hit my myself. But it is going to take a lot of rubber to
            > get that ball over the Walls at GW. Think of the hit you got in
            > dodge ball. it will be about like that.
            > (BTW the reason for Kick balls is that the tennisball rocks jam in
            > the barrel of the test launcher I can't figure a way to make them
            > round)
            > Greggor

          • Wendy Colbert
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 1 9:05 AM
              Greggor,

              Since this would be a new concept for the rapier field, you should write
              up an experimental request and give it to Damiano to present to Dylan
              for approval, if you want to move forward with this in an SCA context.

              Irene
            • Chris Zakes
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 1 1:21 PM

                >I was thinking of shooting Kick balls. 10, 7 inch strands of tubing
                >
                >pulled 15 inches will send the kick ball flying quite nicely. If I
                >
                >used tennis balls it would be legal for heavy. And yes I'm ok with
                >
                >getting hit my myself. But it is going to take a lot of rubber to
                >
                >get that ball over the Walls at GW. Think of the hit you got in
                >
                >dodge ball. it will be about like that.
                >
                >(BTW the reason for Kick balls is that the tennisball rocks jam in
                >
                >the barrel of the test launcher I can't figure a way to make them
                >
                >round)
                >
                >Greggor

                Nerf makes a basketball that is a little smaller than a kickball but bigger
                than a tennis ball. Also, Target sells 3-packs of foam "sport balls"; I
                think one version has basketball/volleyball/soccer balls. Since it's
                Christmas time, they should have plenty in stock. (For that matter, Target
                also sells a *giant* tennis ball. It's about 12" diameter, and fuzzy like a
                regular tennis ball. I guess that's for beginners who have trouble hitting
                the smaller version?)

                Disclaimer: As a matter of fact, I *do* work at Target, but if I tried to
                get paid extra for plugging their stuff here, they'd laugh at me.

                -Tivar Moondragon
                Ansteorra
              • Q'vaD
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 1 2:14 PM
                  Or for giants with a yen for tennis, I guess....

                  Rhys

                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 1 2:46 PM
                    I am making a similar device, however my cannon fires a soft, stuffed vinyl
                    ball approximately four inches in diameter. Damiano looked at the balls and
                    had no problem with them. I thought about the kickball idea initially, but
                    the cost was prohibitive.

                    Charles
                    Tomas- we should compare blunderbuss designs. I'm working on one too.
                  • Q'vaD
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 1 7:04 PM
                      I have been wondering myself about how a blunderbuss might be made. Some
                      problems I see are how to hook multiple bands to a single release mechanism
                      (you'd need something like a expanding claw like on the little chip
                      "grabber" thing I have in my computer tool kit), and the barrel/muzzle being
                      apt to hook a blade tip.....

                      For that matter, are blunderbusses period?

                      Rhys
                      > I am making a similar device, however my cannon fires a soft, stuffed
                      vinyl
                      > ball approximately four inches in diameter. Damiano looked at the balls
                      and
                      > had no problem with them. I thought about the kickball idea initially, but
                      > the cost was prohibitive.
                      >
                      > Charles
                      > Tomas- we should compare blunderbuss designs. I'm working on one too.

                    • Cassandra
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 1 7:31 PM
                        okay, aside from being my usual completely clueless self... i'd
                        like to know... what the heck IS a blunderbuss??

                        Cassie
                        who thinks the word is sounding like an "oopsey" type word than
                        a machine of some sort...

                        =====
                        One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

                        http://shopping.yahoo.com
                      • fakrmage@bellsouth.net
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 2 12:42 AM
                          --- In serapier@y..., Wendy Colbert <WendyC@v...> wrote:
                          > Have you tested what a hit with one of these might do to blades? I
                          am
                          > not sure that I want one whacking my dagger blades.

                          That's a Good Point No pun intended, I have not tested one for
                          hitting a dagger.
                          > Also at what range
                          > have you been hit?

                          About 20 feet in the strait line, really about 8 paces. it was a
                          rifle shot. It was kind of hard. Not as hard as Gareth on crownlist
                          day but hard by rapier standards. I'm guessing about 10 psi with a
                          surface area of 5 inches. But it's I plan on a balistic arc being the
                          main pattern of fire.

                          > What are they like from point blank range (or 10 feet)?

                          I'm guessing Point blank is going to be about 10 yards, or 30 feet.
                          IE 1/10 the expected range of the weapon.

                          Like I said its in Pre-Pretesting.
                          Greggor

                        • fakrmage@bellsouth.net
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 2 12:55 AM
                            --- In serapier@y..., Nightwolf <nitewolf@k...> wrote:
                            > Greggor, My fellow Evil Genius :-)
                            >
                            > Back in school, I saw some pretty nasty hit in dodge ball ... As I
                            > recall we had a few broken noses, a finger or three and a few
                            > concusions (mine included) ... but then we were playing pretty
                            rough.
                            > However, i think your shots are coming out substantially slower
                            then
                            > we were throwing though.

                            This is part of my worry, I'm also concerned about the mass of the
                            Kick balls falling out of the Sky. It's something I need to find out
                            about before letting anyone get shot this way.

                            > But on to what I really wanted to talk about ... what are you using
                            for
                            > a 'sling' for the shot? if it is flat, making it more conical might
                            > reduce you jamming problem by stablizing the shot as it starts up
                            > the barrel.

                            Good Idea a seat for the shot. The problem is that the 4 ball rocks
                            rotate in the barrel when they are compressed by the ramrod. I'm
                            thinking of makeing a giant fork and sliding the tines around the
                            shot.

                            also the Shape makes the "balls" do funny things around the 50 yard
                            line. Curve balls anyone?

                            > Think you might have it together by the Regional practice ... I
                            think
                            > a lot of us would like to see it before you drag it off to the war.

                            I'd like to show it off before that. I'm hoping to have it ready to
                            be admired by Gladenfeild's 12th night.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 2 12:57 AM

                              Thanks I'm going Taget shopping Today.

                            • fakrmage@bellsouth.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 2 4:55 PM
                                --- In serapier@y..., Cdjoscelynne@a... wrote:
                                > How much does the tubing cost at the surgical supply place. At Home
                                Depot and
                                > Lowes it is $1.40 a foot.
                                >
                                > Charles

                                I tried to get some at Lowes today and the Guy here says they aren't
                                reordering anymore of it. But he sent me to the wholesaler who sent
                                me here: http://www.reefscuba.com/surgical_tubing.htm.
                                They have the best prices I have seen so far.

                                Happy shooting
                                Greggor
                              • Stephen R. Gardner
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 3 6:35 AM
                                  Early Shotgun. Usually depicted with a bell shaped mouth to
                                  facilitate loading. Developed for use by stage coach guards in
                                  England. [can be reloaded easier with a big hole to pour into.]
                                  Seventeenth Century

                                  Stefan
                                  Iron Mtn.

                                  > okay, aside from being my usual completely clueless self... i'd
                                  > like to know... what the heck IS a blunderbuss??
                                  >
                                  > Cassie
                                  > who thinks the word is sounding like an "oopsey" type word than
                                  > a machine of some sort...
                                • Mark Edwards
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 3 8:15 AM
                                    actually, they can be documented as early as 1530, they were used as a
                                    shipboard weapon prior to their use in carriages.

                                    The Nevavda State Museum has an Italian blunderbuss in it's collection with
                                    the rather loose dating of '16th Century' ... however, the the engraving of
                                    Emperor Charles V entry it to Bologna in 1530, soldier armed with blunderbuss
                                    can be clearly seen, trumpet barrels and all.

                                    Tomas