Re: Looking for weapon definition : iauelyn or lauelyn

  • Brendan deHay
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013
      I have always thought he was referring to a javelin as well. The English translator uses the letter "i" in several places where we would use a "j." In general, consistency of spelling is not among his virtues.

      The confusing thing for me (aside from the fact that neither the English or Italian versions seem to include a picture of the particular weapon) is his statement that the "edge of the Iauelyn is weak,...." Is he just understating the fact that a javelin (as I think of it) has no edge at all?

      In answer to your original request for some other documentation, I'm afraid I can't help either.

      --BrENdan

      --- In serapier@yahoogroups.com, "ehayesmd" <ehayesmd@...> wrote:

      > Yes that is a possibility and most likely correct. I had not considered that due to the description of use and the close association with halberd instructions.
      >

      > Thanks
      >

      > Wulfram
      >
      > --- In serapier@yahoogroups.com, Brian Greer <navalstoresresearch@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Javelin perhaps?

    • xochimil
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013
        I agree.. looks like javelin as well. But I am no expert.

        --- In serapier@yahoogroups.com, Brian Greer <navalstoresresearch@...> wrote:

        > Javelin perhaps?

      • xochimil
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013
          Wulfram,

          where do you see this passge at?
          I would like to look up in my photocopy.

          Ximon

          --- In serapier@yahoogroups.com, "ehayesmd" <ehayesmd@...> wrote:

          > Trivia question for all you scholars.
          >
          > Di Grassi describes a weapon I assume is a polearm similar to a spear called a iauelyn or possible lauelyn. Extrapolated from his instructions of use, it seems to be a pointed blade on a shaft.
          >
          > I cannot find another reference to this weapon on the web or in my library.
          >
          > If anyone can find a reference, definition, or photo I would like the information and the source.
          >
          > Happy Hunting.
          >
          > Wulfram

        • ehayesmd
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
            The section is after the instruction on Halberd and before the Partisan and pike section.

            Wulfram