Re: [serapier] A challenge associated with the Foxes Invitational rapier tournament

  • Howard Rachel
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 16, 2012
      I agree!  I really like Sir Morgan's response.., and Ursus', and Stefan's.  I love reading about what inspires others, and to find inspiration in it, as well.  It definely changes how I see folks once I have insight into what moves them.

      Like Ursus, Athos has always been my favorite musketeer.., and likely for the very same reasons: Oliver Reed's portrayal in the Lester Three and Four Musketeer movies.

      As for Charles deBatts Castlemore, I would like to urge Stefan to ahsre more, for I have never heard of this gentleman, but want to very much, since Stefan has cited him as inspiration!  Alfred E. Newman I know very well, though!!!!

      Sir Morgan, I am really intrigued about what elements of Caterina Sforza's and Ludovico de Medici's story really grabbed you?  Did Ludovico lead condotierri as a contemporary of the Englishman Hawkwood?

      As for myself:

      Charlton Heston as Rodrigo of Vivar.., El Cid.., is one of my earliest heroes.., and that film is one of the most influential factors in me (and my girlfriend--now wife) joining the SCA! I like the fact that **in he movie Al Saidrisked the ire of Crown and society to do what he felt was right, what he felt would bring peace to his land, though he knew his effort would amount to little more than token effort at the time. However, that token effort, buoyed by the reputation for honesty, valor, and prowess he would make for himself, won over the constant war and distrust between Christian monarchy and Moorish nobles of the Iberian peninsula of the time.

      Just as important to me was the fact that throughout his disagreements with, and disappointments in, the Crown, he remained staunchly supportive of his King. Even at the end, El Cid sent Crown of Valencia, which he had won, to the King who had cast him out. And when that King, for whom the gesture had awakened his better self, came to the dying Cid and knelt for forgiveness, Rodrigo rose from his death bed to raise his King with the admonition, "My King kneels to no man." A triumph over vainglorious ego, a paragon of chivalry.

      NOTE:  I am still offering one of my invitations to the Foxes  Invitational Tournament to the favorite response, so there is still time if you want to try.

      Please, Share with us and inspire us.., even if you aren't going to Foxes or do not seek the Invitation.

      In service,

      Baron Kazimir Petrovich Pomeshanov
      Baron of the Court of the East
      Companion of the Ancient Order of the White Scarf of Ansteorra
      Princess' Order of Courtesy (Drachenwald)
      Etc...

      Aut Aude, Aut Tace!         Be bold or be silent!

      www.kazimir-petrovich.blogspot.com
      http://pinterest.com/kazimir/

      On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Ursus Grim <ursus.grim@...> wrote:

      Niiice.

      Ursus

      On Jul 26, 2012, at 8:40 PM, McKinney-Taylor 2 wrote:

      Rather than having one person influence me I have two, a mother and her son. Caterina Sforza, a woman who defended her city and her children although sometimes at the cost of each other. She truly was a remarkable woman and if you believe in those such of things I believe I married her incarnation. This is a woman who defied the Borgias until the very end. Secondly, her son, Ludovico de Medici. At the ripe old age of 18 he formed his own mercenary company (condottieri) and won the majority of his battles (though fighting or bribery). His death marked the end (air quotes) of warfare involving condottieri as the evil Chinese invention of gunpowder made armor obsolete.

      Sir Morgan Ironheart

      Baron Kazimir Petrovich Pomeshanov
      Baron of the Court of the East
      Companion of the Ancient Order of the White Scarf of Ansteorra
      Princess' Order of Courtesy (Drachenwald)
      Etc...

      Aut Aude, Aut Tace!         Be bold or be silent!

      www.kazimir-petrovich.blogspot.com
      http://pinterest.com/kazimir/

    • Ursus Grim
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 16, 2012
        Kazimir,

        You might find this of interest:

        My laurel/pelican, Duchess Elspeth, is also a huge fan of Heston as el Cid. So much so that several years ago, she wrote him a letter telling him how much she admired him in the role and how it informed her SCA experience and ideals. He wrote back and sent her an autographed photo of himself as el Cid. I don't remember what the letter said, but I don't think it's a form letter; she has it on her wall.

        Also, to underscore how cool Heston is, when the Lester musketeers was filmed the studio didn't tell the stars that it was three movies they were shooting. After that came to light, rather than negotiate for more money, Heston, who took the role because he liked the part, wanted something that was a bit of a challenge, and because he was tired of being typecast (he'd been offered another part originally - possibly Athos), said he'd forego pay if they gave him the portrait of him used in the movie instead. The studio gave him the portrait.

        If I ever become stupidly wealthy, I'll be buying that portrait if it ever comes on the market!

        Ursus

[...]

      • Gardner, Steve
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 16, 2012
          Ah your Excellency ... you have heard of him though.   I was having some fun
          with names.
          Charles Ogier de Batz - Castelmore born in Lupiac [just west of Auch, Gascony, France]
          in 1612 to 1620 [No church records left]
          In 1639 he came to Paris to join the Musketeers with a letter of intro to his cousin
          M. du Troisvilles.   As he was traveling to Paris he decided to change his name
          to something more French.   He took for himself his mother's maiden name.
          Md. Francoise d'Artaignan - Comtesse de Montesquiou - Feznzac
          So you see you have heard of him.   The most famous swordsman of all time.
          M. d'Artaignan [~1615 to 6/25/1673]

          Stefan

          As for Charles deBatts Castlemore, I would like to urge Stefan to ahsre more, for I have never heard of this gentleman, but want to very much, since Stefan has cited him as inspiration!  Alfred E. Newman I know very well, though!!!!

          Baron Kazimir Petrovich Pomeshanov

        • Brendan deHay
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 20, 2012
            Baron Kazimir:

            I have been thinking about your questions for quite some time, but I wanted to be sure of my attendance before I submitted my answers. As we have determined that my lovely wife and I will be attending the event this weekend, I now request that you consider me as one of your invitees to the MoB tournament at Tourney of the Foxes. My answers to your questions are below, and I would consider your endorsement an honor.

            Inspirational swordsmen
            My answer to that question changes frequently. As a literary example, my first thought was Peter Pan, but that thought only led me to a greater inspiration. From the recesses of my memory appeared Atlantia's Earl Dafydd ap Gwystl (aka The Nefarious Count Guido).

            "Never grow up" means keep having fun. Be the good guy--save the girl, be a good sport, etc. Be exuberant. You can face the dread pirate captain armed only with a dagger and youthful exuberance (and a sprinkling of Tinker Bell's Pixie Dust). Or be the dread pirate captain, and give the good guy something to do.

            When he took the office of Kingdom Rapier Marshal for Atlantia, Earl Dafydd strove to advance rapier in the Kingdom and SCA in large part by emphasizing the fun. New stuff seemed to appear under his direction--pirate ships and early rubber band guns, for instance--many of which might have already been in use, but he brought them to some of us for the first time, and we were all encouraged to try new stuff.

            Aside from being fun, he had some good ideas for advancing the rapier community, which was still struggling for wider acceptance in that time & place. He had already been King, so it became obvious that armored and rapier fighters could mix well. He published a new set of rules that was no longer simply copied from another kingdom. He was, as one might expect, very safety-conscious, since ambulance rides are not fun. Did I mention he was a lot of fun (I presume he still is, but I haven't any current reference)?

            Better than Peter Pan, Earl Dafydd was/is all about having fun, and helping to make it that way for everyone else. I definitely aspire to that.

            I've always been partial to "Change is the only constant." I understand that others phrase it as "The only constant is change," and attribute it to someone famous. I've never bothered to attribute it to anyone specific, because in one form or another, I believe it to be older than can possibly be recorded.

            Why? For me, it is the basic tenet of survival. If we cannot acknowledge the potential for change, and adapt when (or before) it happens, we will die. From the biggest (One day the sun will burn out or explode--where will humans be?) to the smallest (Cockroaches continue to develop immunities to insecticides, so we have to keep developing new ways to control them.), we must be willing to accept and respond to change. How we respond to change not only defines us, but can determine our survival as individuals, groups, even as a species.

            Look! Here's a small example from the rapier field! I recently faced an opponent who noted that my response to his probing beat attack was the same every time. He changed his action and defeated me, because I allowed myself to believe that his action would remain constant. After he pointed out what had occurred, we fought again, and I won (He is much better than me, so I'm sure he let me win, but it was very reinforcing.)

            Regardless of your response, Excellency, I look forward to seeing you again this weekend, and fencing as much as my body will allow with as many folks as I can.

            Sincerely,
            BrENdan deHay
            (mka Ben Hay)
            benjamin_hay@...