Review - tournament formats and mechanics

  • Rick Wallace
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2008
      Bonjour everyone,

      I'm planning to teach a class soon on tournament mechanics and I want to
      know what I'm missing (other than brevity and simplicity). I come up with
      these basic formats:

      Single-elimination
      Double-elimination
      Swiss (often five rounds)
      Round-robin
      Open challenges / shark pool / mad dog
      Bear pit

      To limit the scope, I'm leaving out warlord and snowball (which involve
      melee).

      Atlantian Speed format appears to be a nifty elimination variant. No trees.

      A "Roman melee" is a single-elimination shark pool. I'm sure it has several
      other names.

      Along with these, there are entrance conditions, re-entrance conditions,
      style limitations, and win/loss conditions that may be implemented. These
      are not formats. They are conditions that can also be combined with themes.

      Entrance conditions
      Only members of (X) based on kingdom, local group, order, age, etc.
      Nomination required (such as for a champions battle)
      Must form teams
      Teams must have equal size
      Team must have fewer than (N) total members
      Teams must have fewer than (N) points based on rank
      Team on field must have fewer than (N) members

      Re-entrance conditions
      You're out (dead/captured) and you or someone else spends coin/token
      You must go to the rest area, drink water, and sit for (N) minutes
      first

      ** Related: Spend coin/token to heal a wound

      Style limitations
      Set progression by round
      Only certain style(s) allowed
      Cycle through all authorized styles
      Alternate choice/set (such as every other round is single sword
      only)

      Win/loss conditions
      Only one type of strike (thrust/cut) counts
      Only certain target area(s) count
      Wound only (kill counts as loss for one or both fencers)
      Wound also counts as loss
      Double-kills (always refought, loss for both, refight once, etc.)
      Multiple touches (best 2 out of 3, first to 5, win by 2, etc.)

      ** "Loss for both" doesn't play nice with elimination trees but does with
      Everything Else.

      ** Any format above can be used when the participating unit is an individual
      (one fencer) or a team (two or more).

      Something I haven't come across yet but I plan to try is what I'm calling
      "round-robin teams". Each fencer in Team A bouts against every fencer in
      Team B. That way, the number of fights you get is the number in a pool/team,
      not that number minus yourself.

      If I had done that at Red Tower, every fencer would have had at least seven
      bouts instead of six.

      If a "William Marshal" tournament has a distinct format - what is it?

      Whoa, I just read about the Polycarp format for teams.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/tourn-ideas-msg.text

      Comments?
      Yves
    • David Whitford
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
        Do a good write up-sounds interesting.
        William Marshal is a ransom tournament normally(ie-you lose you pay a "ransom" to the victor), this can be very elaborate or silly depending on the event theme. Also it works to think outside the box for ransom. Examples being-bring ransom to give to the consort, have a bardic piece of some sort written about the person, pledges of service.
        Robert

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2008
          Congratulations to the winner of the Baroness Prize Tourney THL Feodor Razin, MOB.
          The tournament format was Single sword and cloak with the conventions of single elimination, dead is dead (Double kills remove both fighters) and wounds retained.  The tourney was run by Gerrick Tabledancer as RMiT and Francis the Mouse as MIC.

          The prize was a copy of Don Tivars Rapier Manual and a copy of Baron Alfred of Chester's Dancing with Swords.

          There were approx 12 fighters for the day including Sir Morgan , the Kingdom Earl Marshall.
          There was a cut and thrust class taught by Hawk and attended by Jean Michele.  Afterwards there was a short period of hands on instruction  for those with armor.

          Stephan d'Gascon was presented with a new C&T/ Fencing helmet in the morian style and Francois mad bad puns in court.

          As always, Thanks to the rapier fighters that came out and played on the field.  If it weren't for you guys I would have been bored and cold standing on the field by myself.  Grin

          Francis the Mouse (AKA Francois le Souris)
          A copy of this is also posted on the Meridian forums.