Blades on ebay

  • Edward Neary
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hey folks, there are several blades and other gear for sale from a
      gentle in TX who is no longer fencing. Fair prices. Here is the link
      to all items for sale http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdmriney .

      Charles
    • osipmand@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
        A a bidder on a few of those items  thanks for the additional competition *wink*

        Have a good New Years?

        Hey folks, there are several blades and other gear for sale from a
        gentle in TX who is no longer fencing. Fair prices. Here is the link
        to all items for sale http://search. ebay.com/ _W0QQsassZdmrine y .

        Charles

      • Shoiel ben Yisrael of Poznan'
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
          Here's the one I want:

          http://cgi.ebay.com/Unusual-Italian-Rapier-ca-1640_W0QQitemZ190176562776QQihZ009QQcategoryZ1552QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118#ebayphotohosting

          =======================================

          “Example is not the main thing in influencing others,
          it is the only thing.”

          Albert Schweitzer

          =======================================

          To: serapier@yahoogroups.com
          From: osipmand@...
          Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 20:20:42 -0500
          Subject: Re: [serapier] Blades on ebay

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
            At 09:32 PM 1/1/2008, you wrote:
            Here's the one I want:

            http://cgi.ebay.com/Unusual-Italian-Rapier-ca-1640_W0QQitemZ190176562776QQihZ009QQcategoryZ1552QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118#ebayphotohosting

            That *is* unusual. Those curly secondary quillons are--at least in this configuration--unique in my experience. I wonder if they were some sort of pas d'ane supporting a bell guard that has been lost over the years? That'd make some sense if it's dated to 1640, but I've never seen a smallsword where the quillons and pas d'ane are separated like that.

                     -Tivar Moondragon
                              Ansteorra
          • osipmand@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
              Tis a nice blade, just a bit out of my price range. I have not seen that type of secondary quillions either, but from the picture I do not see any markings where a bell guard would have been attached.  Is also a 37 inch blade, I would have expected a bit shorter blade length. I guess I am going to save those pictures and see what how close I can get to making one similar to it out in the workshop.

              YIS,
              Feodor

              That *is* unusual. Those curly secondary quillons are--at least in this configuration- -unique in my experience. I wonder if they were some sort of pas d'ane supporting a bell guard that has been lost over the years? That'd make some sense if it's dated to 1640, but I've never seen a smallsword where the quillons and pas d'ane are separated like that.

                      -Tivar Moondragon
                               Ansteorra

            • Paul Wolf
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
                Hey Fedor,

                Contact me privately.

                Thanks,

                Leon

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Out of my price range too but I could take out a second mortgagee . . .

                  I could buy the itallian and this one too! . . .

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/Scarce-Military-Rapier-Counts-of-Liechtenstein-ca1600_W0QQitemZ370010490752QQihZ024QQcategoryZ1552QQcmdZViewItem

                  Shalom,
                  Shoiel

                  p.s. Tivar:  It figures the first thing you would do is analyze the design  :-)

                  =======================================

                  To: serapier@yahoogroups.com
                  From: osipmand@...
                  Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 08:07:57 -0500

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
                    My wife asked what I would do with the blade if I could afford it. I
                    told her I'd wear it and make everyone else beg to be able to touch
                    it.

                    Charles

                    On Jan 2, 2008 7:36 PM, Shoiel ben Yisrael of Poznan'
                    <shoiel@...> wrote:

                    > Out of my price range too but I could take out a second mortgagee . . .
                    >
                    > I could buy the itallian and this one too! . . .
                    >

                    > http://cgi.ebay.com/Scarce-Military-Rapier-Counts-of-Liechtenstein-ca1600_W0QQitemZ370010490752QQihZ024QQcategoryZ1552QQcmdZViewItem
                    >
                    > Shalom,
                    > Shoiel
                    >
                    > p.s. Tivar: It figures the first thing you would do is analyze the design
                    > :-)
                    >
                    > =======================================
                    >
                    > "Example is not the main thing in influencing others,
                    > it is the only thing."
                    >
                    > Albert Schweitzer
                    >
                    > =======================================
                    >

                    > ________________________________
                    > To: serapier@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: osipmand@...
                    > Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 08:07:57 -0500
                    > Subject: Re: [serapier] Blades on ebay
                    >

                    > Tis a nice blade, just a bit out of my price range. I have not seen that
                    > type of secondary quillions either, but from the picture I do not see any
                    > markings where a bell guard would have been attached. Is also a 37 inch
                    > blade, I would have expected a bit shorter blade length. I guess I am going
                    > to save those pictures and see what how close I can get to making one
                    > similar to it out in the workshop.
                    >
                    > YIS,
                    > Feodor

                  • Chris Zakes
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
                      At 07:42 PM 1/2/2008, you wrote:

                      >My wife asked what I would do with the blade if I could afford it. I
                      >told her I'd wear it and make everyone else beg to be able to touch
                      >it.
                      >
                      >Charles

                      No, you blunt the edges, put a tip on it and use it for Cut & Thrust. <G>

                      -Tivar Moondragon
                      Ansteorra
                      (Who actually *does* use his 17th century pikeman's pot-helm when marshalling.)
                    • osipmand@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                        I tried the two different e-mail addresses I have for you. Have they not arrived?