KWAR 06 bids?

  • Wendy Colbert
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
      Do we have anyone in kingdom putting together a bid for KWAR '06?

      Thanks
      Irene
    • Steve Heydel

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
          I am asking becasue I have been asked to take a staff position on a Midrealm bid. I can be on more than one bid, but I wanted to see what was potentially out there in kingdom.
          Irene

          I may look into it again (heck, I already have the bid typed and saved; all I'd need to do is update it) but to be honest, after last time, I kinda think "Why bother?"

          Edmund
        • Leonjeronimo
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
            Edmund,

            By late 06 I should be moving to Nash-vegas and can lend a hand if needed.

            Leon

            I may look into it again (heck, I already have the bid typed and saved; all
            I'd need to do is update it) but to be honest, after last time, I kinda
            think "Why bother?"

            Edmund

            Do we have anyone in kingdom putting together a bid for KWAR '06?

            Thanks
            Irene

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • M & M Le Compte
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
              Steve Heydel wrote:

              > after last time, I kinda think "Why bother?"
              >
              > Edmund

              Edmond,

              too many problems, lack of kingdom support, too expensive, what? Or is
              it a really long story? I would like to make one one day if it ever
              gets close enough--say 6-8 hours from New Orleans at a hotel that
              doesn't cost over $100 a night.

              Curious
              Georg

            • David Biggs
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                You missed a great chance with this last one, then.

                dab

                >From: M & M Le Compte <mlecompt@...>
                >To: serapier@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [serapier] KWAR 06 bids?
                >Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:20:58 -0500
                >
                >Steve Heydel wrote:
                >
                > > after last time, I kinda think "Why bother?"
                > >
                > > Edmund
                > >
                >Edmond,
                >
                >too many problems, lack of kingdom support, too expensive, what? Or is
                >it a really long story? I would like to make one one day if it ever
                >gets close enough--say 6-8 hours from New Orleans at a hotel that
                >doesn't cost over $100 a night.
                >
                >Curious
                >Georg

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Steve Heydel
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                  Okay, here's the story, at least from my perspective. Others may differ. I'll apologize in advance for the length of this message.

                  Last fall we received, on this list and others, pleas for bids for KWAR. Apparently none had been submitted (this was in, what?, October?), and the Powers-That-Be (PTB) appeared concerned that no KWAR would happen in 2005. I corresponded with folks, was encouraged to get a bid in, got what I thought was a good bid, at good prices, received local group and Meridian approval, and was advised mine was the only bid received (though I may have been advised that another area was considering a bid). My bid was for KWAR to be in Nashville, TN.

                  After I submitted, I honestly thought I would get the bid as, at that point, nothing else had been submitted. Things seemed to drag on and on, I kept bugging the PTB, saw MORE notices posted requesting bids, and after several weeks I was advised that the bid had been rewarded to the Washington, DC, area. Granted, I'm sure DC is a more attractive site from the viewpoint of additional things to do, but is KWAR be held in a city that has a lot of "additional" tourist stuff, or at a site that will accomodate KWAR?

                  Personally, given my druthers, I'd rather spend a few days in DC than in Nashville. But if one is going there to study rapier and fight, what difference does it make if the host town has a world-class zoo and Five-Star restaurants? To be perfectly frank, I kinda ended up feeling like the guy who asks a girl to the prom and she makes him wait for an answer as she hopes to get an invitation from the quarterback of the football team.

                  Finally, with all due respect to those hosting KWAR (who I am sure are wonderful fencers and super-duper people on a personal level) I think they have done an incredibly crappy and, dare I say, irresponsible job at getting the info out and, basically, getting their act together. The PTB, in their plea for bids last year, were concerned that there was no info at Pennsic 2004 for KWAR 2005; well here we are, almost to Pennsic 2005, and I just this minute did a Google search and STILL no website or info on KWAR. Lotsa luck on locking in teachers, etc.

                  Okay, so maybe most of this is sour grapes. So sue me. But, in closing, I would be hard-pressed to put in the work and effort (and, believe me, there was a lot of both expended) of submitting another bid. Besides, by some listserves it would appear there is a move afoot to have 2006 in Drachenwald. Nice idea, and I'd LOVE to fight in the shadow of a real, honest-to-goodness castle, but how many people do they REALLY think are going to fly to Europe from the US for a 3-day event?

                  There.

                  Now I'm through.

                  Edmund

                • Chris Zakes
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                    At 06:48 AM 7/1/2005, you wrote:
                    >Do we have anyone in kingdom putting together a bid for KWAR '06?
                    >
                    >Thanks
                    >Irene

                    There's been talk of a KWAR 2006 bid from Drachenwald, but I don't know of
                    anything definite yet.

                    -Tivar Moondragon
                    Ansteorra
                  • Chris Zakes
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                      At 02:26 PM 7/1/2005, you wrote:

                      (snippage)

                      >Besides, by some listserves it would appear there is a move afoot to have
                      >2006 in Drachenwald. Nice idea, and I'd LOVE to fight in the shadow of a
                      >real, honest-to-goodness castle, but how many people do they REALLY think
                      >are going to fly to Europe from the US for a 3-day event?

                      <shrug> *I'd* go. Given a year to plan and budget for it, I think it would
                      be quite feasible. Besides, If I could arrange things right, I'd take a
                      week of vacation and spend the rest of the time playing tourist. <G>

                      Here's what I'd do: Take Friday off, schedule the outbound flight for
                      Thursday afternoon/evening, so that I spend most of Thursday night asleep
                      in the airplane and arrive Friday morning in Europe. Spend Friday getting
                      to the site and maybe doing a bit of sightseeing (depending on where it
                      was.) Friday night, Saturday and half of Sunday at KWAR, Sunday night,
                      spent with local SCA folks or in a hotel/B&B. Monday morning (if I'm not
                      playing tourist) board the plane back to the U.S. spend most of the day in
                      the air, arrive home Monday afternoon/evening, go back to work on Tuesday.
                      If I *am* playing tourist, do the "Monday" schedule on whatever day I have
                      to come home.

                      One nice thing about flying from the U.S. to Europe and back is that the
                      jet lag is all in your favor if you do it as I described--it's about a ten
                      hour flight, which gives you a chance for a reasonable amount of sleep on
                      the way out, and still get breakfast on the plane before you land; on the
                      way back, since you're crossing time zones westbound, a flight that leaves
                      around 10:00 a.m. their time will land here around 2:30. Coming back from
                      the Drachenwald Rent-a-Don event in 2004, I landed in Houston early enough
                      to drive to Austin (about 150 miles) and get home in time for supper.

                      -Tivar Moondragon
                      Ansteorra
                    • Wendy Colbert
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                        That's great unless you are working in the schools and can't take a Friday and Monday off. Even the West coast would be a stretch for me these days.
                        Irene