Atlantian rapier academy report (long)

  • Elijah Cameron of Black Isle
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hola!
      Jean-Micheal and I made the trip up to the Atlantian Rapier Academy this
      weekend and had a great time. There were more rapier fighters than you could
      shake an epee at and while it is a little wierd not knowing anyone around
      you, they were all very friendly & happy to have us there.
      Saturday started off with a variety of classes ranging from Rapier 101 to
      Morrozzo or Caranza and ended with a heavy rapier tournament (for those of
      you unaware, there are two types of authorizations in Atlantia: epee &
      schlager). Around 30 people entered the list and the format began as 4 round
      robins with the top fighter on each field going into a single elimination.
      At the same time (and on the same field) there was a "period master"
      tournament being held. Entrants to the master tourney signed up on a list
      and stated the period master that they wished to try and portray techniques
      from. While the tourney was going on, judges came by and intervewed the
      fighters about thier chosen style and watched them fight, then they chose
      one period fighter from each field to join the winners bracket in the single
      elim.
      Jean-Michelle entered the list under the teachings of Meyer while I chose to
      portray Morrozzo. My Morrozzo did not hold up very long against these
      unknown fencers and so I fell back to my trusted style in order to give
      these people a good and fair fight. Jean-Micheal tried very hard to stay
      true to his chosen form and when the round robin had ended, he was chosen to
      go to the second half of the tourney.
      Jean-Micheal's first fight (in the 1/4 finals) was long. I mean really long.
      When he had finaly landed shot on his opponent, he was so worn out he nearly
      had to drag himself of of the field. But he had moved on to the semi finals.
      This next was fight was not nearly as long but just as heated. in the end he
      had been beaten by a low thrust to the belly that seemed to come from
      nowhere. All through this J-M stayed true to his interpretation of a Meyer
      fight.
      The fighters in the Master tourney and the judges all voted for who they
      thought best played in their chosen master's style, and during court,
      Jean-Micheal was called forth as the winner. As a prize, he was given a new
      copy of "Three Period Fencing Manuals", and there was much oohing and
      aahing. Huzzah for Jean-Micheal!
      In closing, I would like to say that we had a wonderfull time and I for one
      would highly recommend the trip to anyone looking for some good people and
      good fighting. I look forward to crossing blades with my new friends in
      Atlantia very soon.

      Salute!

      Cameron
      who is suffering from a vicious plague and going back to bed.

      http://toolbar.msn.com/
    • Co and Barbara tenBroek
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
        Hey everybody
        My take on the Rapier Academy: there were four tracks of rapier classes,
        and 2 tracks of A&S classes. Out of all the classes which were offered the
        only one I was really interested in was Marozzo. I was a little let down,
        as the class was a lecture, and not a hands on work through an assult or a
        play from the master. However I had a ringside seat for the list field.
        And that was a good spot to be. They ran a one on one for Provosts and
        Free-scholars, basically a timed event for a person to work one on one with
        a senior fencer, get some feed back and move on to the next senior fencer.
        I enjoyed the tourney format, and learned that merchanting is good for my
        fencing. My first bout was called in the midst of completing a transaction,
        my customer graciously waited while I ran to the field and dispatched my
        opponent (Lady Catalina I think). I was in such a hurry to get back and
        finish with the customer, I didn't bother analyzing anything, our first pass
        Catalina came in very close and very aggresively, and took my right arm.
        The second pass, she beat my blade strongly, I rolled it around and made a
        draw cut on her neck. Total bout time less than 1 minute.
        My impressions: Atlantian fencers generally use 35 inch swords, they like
        to be "up close and personal", and finally they are fun to fight. I had a
        blast.

        Jean-Michel
        PS Those who can need to put this event on the to go to list.