Spelling and changes to the Giudice name

  • Rachelle
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2013
      Does anyone know how the name 'Giudice' or 'Guidice' became Del Giudice?

      Probably, it's complicated...
    • Alex Severino
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2013
        Guidice is magistrate or judge. From the same Latin root we get "guidance"

        Del is "of the"

        500 or more years ago there were no last names. If there were two john's you would differentiate one by saying he was John the judges son, or giovani del guidice.

        Just as smith comes from blacksmith.
        John smith was John the blacksmiths son.

        Alex Severino
        708.846.5034

        On Aug 5, 2013, at 5:55 PM, "Rachelle" <white.swan09@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know how the name 'Giudice' or 'Guidice' became Del Giudice?
        >
        > Probably, it's complicated...

      • Rachelle
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2013
          Thanks for the information