RE: [senerchia-italy] Request to add a newpaper article

  • Denise Wells
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009

      I don’t have a problem with you posting it.  If there are any complaints, we can take it back down later on.

      Denise

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
        OK...thanks...

        This article was written in the LONDON SUNDAY STAR possibly in 1982-1983 era.

        Does anyone remember this Earthquake in Pozzuoli, Italy? I don't know what year it was, possibly 1983.

        On that day, a 57-year old gravedigger, Guisseppe Delgiudice became the 35,500th citizen of Pozzuoli to pack up and flee his hometown.

        "We suddenly heard a crash like a thousand cannons, coming from beneath us," he explained. "The house seemed to jump in the air."

        So Giusseppe left with his wife, their 5 children and as many of their possessions as they could cram in their small Fiat. Pozzuoli, birthplace of movie star, Sophia Loren, is in the middle of a highly volcanic zone and some scientists worry that the molten rock below could come into contact with the underground water table, causing a dsastrous explosion of mud and gas.

        For more that a year now, Pozzuoli has been rising by an average of about three millimetres a day so it is now 122 centimetres (about four feet) higher than it was in 1982 and still going up. Buildings have begun to sway and crack.

        More than half the population of 70,000 have abandoned the town--20,000 of them for a temporary tent city on the outskirts where they can still clearly hear the ominous roars and bangs indicating intense volcanic activity.

        Yet some citizens refuse to budge.

        Vincenza Parisi, an 86-year old widow, waits in her damp, cracked cellar apartment. This particular earthquake deafened her. "I was sure I was going to die", she said. "But I refuse to go to the tents which would kill me for sure.">>