Re: [senerchia-italy] Re: Violanda Boffa

  • Tina Alu
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
      Hi Frank
      I was wondering whether there was a remote chance that we were connected when I saw your name, but I couldn't believe it when I read your last posting.  I have been trying to find the two brothers and that's one of the reasons I joined this group.  My dad has always wondered what happened to his grandfather and his uncles, he'll be really happy to know that I've found some information.
      From the information I have Vincenzo was the oldest born in 1892, then Ugo in 1895.  They both went to Chicago from London with their father Francesco and no-one knew any more.  The next one was a sister called Maddalena born in 1897 - all my dad remembers about her is that she got married and left the village, he remembers one of her children getting married and going to the wedding but that's about it.  Next one was Raffaele born 1900, he lived in Senerchia and I actually remember him too.  He had 2 sons - Umberto and Franco.  Umberto lives here in London, just up the road and Franco lives in San Remo in Italy and we usually see him every year in Senerchia.  Next one was a sister called Bettina (Elisabetta) born 1903 who is actually buried in Senerchia and she still has family in the village.  Last one was my grandfather Gerardo who was born in London in 1905 and my dad was the only child he had with my grandmother.  He left Senerchia to come and work in London and never went back.  He had 3 further children with another woman who I believe was a cousin over here in London.
      I'm seeing mum and dad tomorrow so if there's anything else you want to know, let me know and I can ask them.  I'm also on facebook so look me up on and see the family !!!!!
      Look forward to knowing more of my cousins
      Tina

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009

        Hi Frank & Tina,

        Just to add to what Tina has said...

        I am related to the “3 other children with another woman (Lena Boffa) who was probably a cousin here in London”.

        My great grandmother (Teresa Boffa) was probably Francesco’s sister, by my best guess anyhow.

        It’s been many months since my last work on family history at least since my visit to Senerchia last summer – by the way I lost my micro SD card (probably hoovered up by my wife!) with all the photo’s I took, especially the one with Tina’s cousin from a bar in the village.

        Anyhow, just making a quick jaunt into the emails.

        Researching: Cozzi, Boffa, Papa & Polisciano.

        Best to all in the group,

        Jason Cozzi

        After alot of research, and some family confirmation, I can help you
        fill in the blanks here.

        It was in fact Ugo and Vincenzo that went to Chicago. Ugo changed his
        name to "Joe", and his last name to "Buffo." He was my great
        grandfather. Vincenzo changed his name to James. I have this side of
        the family about 95% complete. Joe married twice, and James three
        times. Once I have the third wife for James, I will be 100% complete.

        Now that we can make this connection, hopefully you can help me fill
        in the brother and sisters that stayed in Italy.

        --- In senerchia-italy@ yahoogroups. com, Tina Alu <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:

        > Donna
        > I haven't been able to trace him either. I was told he emigrated to
        the USA with his 2 oldest sons who I think were Ugo and Vincenzo and
        that they went to Chicago. I know my great-grandmother definitely
        went back to Senerchia - she's buried there and there is history of
        the other children. As far as Francesco's siblings go I think there
        was a brother called Antonio, I didn't even know about Violanda and
        then I go blank. Don't know if there is anything else you can find.
        > Thanks
        > Tina
        >

        > D K <dmkitaly@.. .> wrote:
        > Tina, there's nothing new in the files for Boffa/Vaccaro siblings. I
        did not have any luck on ancestry looking for Francesco Boffa.
        > Donna K
        >
        > tinaalu96 <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:
        > John, Daniel, Donnas
        > Do you have any further information on Violanda's family. My great-
        > grandfather Francesco Boffa is also a child of Vincenzo Boffa &
        > Maddalena Vaccaro thus obviously Violanda's brother. I know there were
        > other siblings but have not traced them all yet. Any help in filling
        > in my gaps on his side would be much appreciated. I know he went to
        > America from England with his 2 oldest sons and his wife Gelsomina
        > Trimarco went back to Senerchia with the other children, the youngest
        > of whom was my grandfather Gerardo.
        > Many thanks
        > Tina

        > Do You Yahoo!?
        > http://mail. yahoo.com
        >

        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
        this month.

      • Tina Alu
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
          Hi Jason
          Nice to hear from you again - shame about those pictures.  I haven't been very active lately by Frank has got my interest all stirred up again now.  If I remember correctly was your Teresa Boffa not daughter of Giulio Boffa and Rachela Gasparro or am I thinking of someone else?  Francesco's parents were Vincenzo Boffa and Maddalena Vaccaro.  Lena (Vince & Paul's mum???) would have been Francesco's niece and I think her father was possibly Antonio??, Francesco's brother.  Am I on the right track??
          Speak soon
          Tina

          After alot of research, and some family confirmation, I can help you
          fill in the blanks here.

          It was in fact Ugo and Vincenzo that went to Chicago. Ugo changed his
          name to "Joe", and his last name to "Buffo." He was my great
          grandfather. Vincenzo changed his name to James. I have this side of
          the family about 95% complete. Joe married twice, and James three
          times. Once I have the third wife for James, I will be 100% complete.

          Now that we can make this connection, hopefully you can help me fill
          in the brother and sisters that stayed in Italy.

          --- In senerchia-italy@ yahoogroups. com, Tina Alu <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:

          > Donna
          > I haven't been able to trace him either. I was told he emigrated to
          the USA with his 2 oldest sons who I think were Ugo and Vincenzo and
          that they went to Chicago. I know my great-grandmother definitely
          went back to Senerchia - she's buried there and there is history of
          the other children. As far as Francesco's siblings go I think there
          was a brother called Antonio, I didn't even know about Violanda and
          then I go blank. Don't know if there is anything else you can find.
          > Thanks
          > Tina
          >

          > D K <dmkitaly@.. .> wrote:
          > Tina, there's nothing new in the files for Boffa/Vaccaro siblings. I
          did not have any luck on ancestry looking for Francesco Boffa.
          > Donna K
          >
          > tinaalu96 <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:
          > John, Daniel, Donnas
          > Do you have any further information on Violanda's family. My great-
          > grandfather Francesco Boffa is also a child of Vincenzo Boffa &
          > Maddalena Vaccaro thus obviously Violanda's brother. I know there were
          > other siblings but have not traced them all yet. Any help in filling
          > in my gaps on his side would be much appreciated. I know he went to
          > America from England with his 2 oldest sons and his wife Gelsomina
          > Trimarco went back to Senerchia with the other children, the youngest
          > of whom was my grandfather Gerardo.
          > Many thanks
          > Tina

          > Do You Yahoo!?
          > http://mail. yahoo.com
          >

          > ------------ --------- --------- ---
          > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
          this month.

        • Jason Cozzi
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009

            Hi Tina

            I need to get all my files out again but you are probably right – you know what it is like, if you leave the subject alone for a few months we get confused!!

            Vince & Paul’s mother was certainly Lena and she did “shack” up with Gerardo unlawfully in the UK. Speaking to my uncle (the elder of the family – Michael Cozzi) he said that there was another (step)son called Antonio Boffa...or he was orphaned young and Lena & Gerardo took him in. He was a lot older than Vince & Paul. He does not recall much about “Tony Boffa”. I am going to dig out the files tonight and see if I cannot place where Teresa fits in.

            We must get together sometime and thrash this lot through and then share with the group...so far you are my only real link on the group – at least on the maternal side...perhaps the venue should be Senerchia!!!

            I will come back to you,

          • Jason Cozzi
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009

              OK Tina,

              Just checked the files...

              It looks as though you were right – my Teresa Boffa was daughter of Giulio Boffa (b.abt. 1820 – Senerchia) and Rachaela Gasparro (b.abt. 1843 – Senerchia). Teresa was born July 17 1843 in Senerchia. Her (third) marriage to Emiddio Papa in 1913 (St Peters, Clerkenwell) states her father as Giulio Boffa.

              My Great grandfather “Antonio Cozzi” (Teresa’s first husband) might be Tomasso Cozzi’s (he had a son Paulo) brother. I have evidence of them being family members in census data (London). I think “Jenni” another member made this link too?? I also have the possibility of “Lewis Cozzi” (born 1843, Italy), “Michael Cozzi” (born 1866, Italy), “Alphonso Cozzi” (born 1853. Italy), “Alphonso Cozzi” (born 1857, Italy) and another “Angelo Michele Cozzi” (born 1854, Italy) all being either brothers or uncles!!!! The link being census data saying “related to” and sharing the same household at various times. Its no wonder I have to give this a break at times!

              To answer Deborah Testa...the Polisciano I referred to in a previous email was not on my grandfathers baptism record but Teresa’s third marriage to Emiddio above as a witness (D . Polisciano) – sorry for the confusion there but the info about my grandfathers first marriage to “Rosa Polisciano” still stands.

              We have heard it many times before this family history stuff is full of twists and turns – its no wonder we get confused sometimes!

              I made some notes in my files last time out to order several birth certificates of various children to piece together the Boffa side.

              Will have to get around to it!

              Speak soon

            • D K
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                Jason, I remember the mystery of the 3 husbands of Teresa Boffa. I recently discovered that when searching the free UK bmd, you should use a widow's most recent married name. So, I checked free UK bmd and found the following (you may already know this)

                Teresa Esposito married Andrea Pinto 1909 in Holborn.
                Andrea Pinto died 1910 in Islington at age 60(?)
                Teresa Pinto married Emiddio Papa 1913 in Holborn.

                Hope this helps, Donna

> [...]

                > Trimarco went back to Senerchia with the other children, the youngest
                > of whom was my grandfather Gerardo.
                > Many thanks
                > Tina

                > Do You Yahoo!?
                > http://mail. yahoo.com
                >

                > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
                this month.

                Hi Frank
                I was wondering whether there was a remote chance that we were connected when I saw your name, but I couldn't believe it when I read your last posting.  I have been trying to find the two brothers and that's one of the reasons I joined this group.  My dad has always wondered what happened to his grandfather and his uncles, he'll be really happy to know that I've found some information.
                From the information I have Vincenzo was the oldest born in 1892, then Ugo in 1895.  They both went to Chicago from London with their father Francesco and no-one knew any more.  The next one was a sister called Maddalena born in 1897 - all my dad remembers about her is that she got married and left the village, he remembers one of her children getting married and going to the wedding but that's about it.  Next one was Raffaele born 1900, he lived in Senerchia and I actually remember him too.  He had 2 sons - Umberto and Franco.  Umberto lives here in London, just up the road and Franco lives in San Remo in Italy and we usually see him every year in Senerchia.  Next one was a sister called Bettina (Elisabetta) born 1903 who is actually buried in Senerchia and she still has family in the village.  Last one was my grandfather Gerardo who was born in London in 1905 and my dad was the only child he had with my grandmother.  He left Senerchia to come and work in London and never went back.  He had 3 further children with another woman who I believe was a cousin over here in London.

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                  Donna - while we're on the subject of Teresa, do you have any info on her father Giulio, ie parents or siblings ?
                  Jason - did Teresa have any other siblings ?
                  Thanks
                  Tina

                  Nice to hear from you again - shame about those pictures.  I haven't been very active lately by Frank has got my interest all stirred up again now.  If I remember correctly was your Teresa Boffa not daughter of Giulio Boffa and Rachela Gasparro or am I thinking of someone else?  Francesco's parents were Vincenzo Boffa and Maddalena Vaccaro.  Lena (Vince & Paul's mum???) would have been Francesco's niece and I think her father was possibly Antonio??, Francesco's brother.  Am I on the right track??
                  Speak soon
                  Tina

                  After alot of research, and some family confirmation, I can help you
                  fill in the blanks here.

                  It was in fact Ugo and Vincenzo that went to Chicago. Ugo changed his
                  name to "Joe", and his last name to "Buffo.." He was my great
                  grandfather. Vincenzo changed his name to James. I have this side of
                  the family about 95% complete. Joe married twice, and James three
                  times. Once I have the third wife for James, I will be 100% complete.

                  Now that we can make this connection, hopefully you can help me fill
                  in the brother and sisters that stayed in Italy.

                  --- In senerchia-italy@ yahoogroups. com, Tina Alu <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:

                  > Donna
                  > I haven't been able to trace him either. I was told he emigrated to
                  the USA with his 2 oldest sons who I think were Ugo and Vincenzo and
                  that they went to Chicago. I know my great-grandmother definitely
                  went back to Senerchia - she's buried there and there is history of
                  the other children. As far as Francesco's siblings go I think there
                  was a brother called Antonio, I didn't even know about Violanda and
                  then I go blank. Don't know if there is anything else you can find.
                  > Thanks
                  > Tina
                  >

                  > D K <dmkitaly@.. .> wrote:
                  > Tina, there's nothing new in the files for Boffa/Vaccaro siblings. I
                  did not have any luck on ancestry looking for Francesco Boffa.
                  > Donna K
                  >
                  > tinaalu96 <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:
                  > John, Daniel, Donnas
                  > Do you have any further information on Violanda's family. My great-
                  > grandfather Francesco Boffa is also a child of Vincenzo Boffa &
                  > Maddalena Vaccaro thus obviously Violanda's brother. I know there were
                  > other siblings but have not traced them all yet. Any help in filling
                  > in my gaps on his side would be much appreciated. I know he went to
                  > America from England with his 2 oldest sons and his wife Gelsomina
                  > Trimarco went back to Senerchia with the other children, the youngest
                  > of whom was my grandfather Gerardo.
                  > Many thanks
                  > Tina

                  > Do You Yahoo!?
                  > http://mail. yahoo.com
                  >

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                  > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
                  this month.

                • frank_boffa
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                    We're all still here in Chicago. Ugo (Joe) had 6 children. 4 of whom are still living. Vincenzo (James) had 6 children as well, although all have passed but his youngest son. I'm still in touch with all of the Boffa's here in Chicago.

                    Our family is pretty big, you have a lot of cousins here. I have a profile on ancestry I'm still completeing. Now that I have our history completed, I can fill in all of our living relatives.

                    I also sent you an invite on FB. I know my brother befriended all of the Boffa's he could find on FB. Now I can actually know how we're all related.

                    It's amazing how Denise's website has connected so many people. I can't say thanks enough for all of the time and effort everyone has put in here.

                  • Jason Cozzi
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009

                      No siblings known as yet Tina – But I am working on it!

                      Jason.

                      Nice to hear from you again - shame about those pictures.  I haven't been very active lately by Frank has got my interest all stirred up again now.  If I remember correctly was your Teresa Boffa not daughter of Giulio Boffa and Rachela Gasparro or am I thinking of someone else?  Francesco's parents were Vincenzo Boffa and Maddalena Vaccaro.  Lena (Vince & Paul's mum???) would have been Francesco's niece and I think her father was possibly Antonio??, Francesco's brother.  Am I on the right track??
                      Speak soon
                      Tina

                      After alot of research, and some family confirmation, I can help you
                      fill in the blanks here.

                      It was in fact Ugo and Vincenzo that went to Chicago. Ugo changed his
                      name to "Joe", and his last name to "Buffo..." He was my great
                      grandfather. Vincenzo changed his name to James. I have this side of
                      the family about 95% complete. Joe married twice, and James three
                      times. Once I have the third wife for James, I will be 100% complete.

                      Now that we can make this connection, hopefully you can help me fill
                      in the brother and sisters that stayed in Italy.

                      --- In senerchia-italy@ yahoogroups. com, Tina Alu <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:

                      > Donna
                      > I haven't been able to trace him either. I was told he emigrated to
                      the USA with his 2 oldest sons who I think were Ugo and Vincenzo and
                      that they went to Chicago. I know my great-grandmother definitely
                      went back to Senerchia - she's buried there and there is history of
                      the other children. As far as Francesco's siblings go I think there
                      was a brother called Antonio, I didn't even know about Violanda and
                      then I go blank. Don't know if there is anything else you can find.
                      > Thanks
                      > Tina
                      >

                      > D K <dmkitaly@.. .> wrote:
                      > Tina, there's nothing new in the files for Boffa/Vaccaro siblings. I
                      did not have any luck on ancestry looking for Francesco Boffa.
                      > Donna K
                      >
                      > tinaalu96 <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:
                      > John, Daniel, Donnas
                      > Do you have any further information on Violanda's family. My great-
                      > grandfather Francesco Boffa is also a child of Vincenzo Boffa &
                      > Maddalena Vaccaro thus obviously Violanda's brother. I know there were
                      > other siblings but have not traced them all yet. Any help in filling
                      > in my gaps on his side would be much appreciated. I know he went to
                      > America from England with his 2 oldest sons and his wife Gelsomina
                      > Trimarco went back to Senerchia with the other children, the youngest
                      > of whom was my grandfather Gerardo.
                      > Many thanks
                      > Tina

                      > Do You Yahoo!?
                      > http://mail. yahoo.com
                      >

                      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                      > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
                      this month.

                    • Jason Cozzi
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009

                        You are a star and may now have unearthed something...

                        Before when I have asked about a marriage in Senerchia of Antonio Cozzi and Teresa Boffa – nothing came back except you mentioned a record of an Antonio Esposito marrying a Teresa Boffa – it will be in one of the postings somewhere!

                        I am now going to order the Teresa Esposito and Andrea Pinot marriage certificate.

                        I just ordered the children born in the UK for Teresa.

                        Thanks for that bit of magic!

                        Will get back to the group when I have copies of all to reveal anything new.

                        Jason

                        Nice to hear from you again - shame about those pictures.  I haven't been very active lately by Frank has got my interest all stirred up again now.  If I remember correctly was your Teresa Boffa not daughter of Giulio Boffa and Rachela Gasparro or am I thinking of someone else?  Francesco's parents were Vincenzo Boffa and Maddalena Vaccaro.  Lena (Vince & Paul's mum???) would have been Francesco's niece and I think her father was possibly Antonio??, Francesco's brother.  Am I on the right track??
                        Speak soon
                        Tina

                        After alot of research, and some family confirmation, I can help you
                        fill in the blanks here.

                        It was in fact Ugo and Vincenzo that went to Chicago. Ugo changed his
                        name to "Joe", and his last name to "Buffo..." He was my great
                        grandfather. Vincenzo changed his name to James. I have this side of
                        the family about 95% complete. Joe married twice, and James three
                        times. Once I have the third wife for James, I will be 100% complete.

                        Now that we can make this connection, hopefully you can help me fill
                        in the brother and sisters that stayed in Italy.

                        --- In senerchia-italy@ yahoogroups. com, Tina Alu <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:

                        > Donna
                        > I haven't been able to trace him either. I was told he emigrated to
                        the USA with his 2 oldest sons who I think were Ugo and Vincenzo and
                        that they went to Chicago. I know my great-grandmother definitely
                        went back to Senerchia - she's buried there and there is history of
                        the other children. As far as Francesco's siblings go I think there
                        was a brother called Antonio, I didn't even know about Violanda and
                        then I go blank. Don't know if there is anything else you can find.
                        > Thanks
                        > Tina
                        >

                        > D K <dmkitaly@.. .> wrote:
                        > Tina, there's nothing new in the files for Boffa/Vaccaro siblings. I
                        did not have any luck on ancestry looking for Francesco Boffa.
                        > Donna K
                        >
                        > tinaalu96 <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:
                        > John, Daniel, Donnas
                        > Do you have any further information on Violanda's family. My great-
                        > grandfather Francesco Boffa is also a child of Vincenzo Boffa &
                        > Maddalena Vaccaro thus obviously Violanda's brother. I know there were
                        > other siblings but have not traced them all yet. Any help in filling
                        > in my gaps on his side would be much appreciated. I know he went to
                        > America from England with his 2 oldest sons and his wife Gelsomina
                        > Trimarco went back to Senerchia with the other children, the youngest
                        > of whom was my grandfather Gerardo.
                        > Many thanks
                        > Tina

                        > Do You Yahoo!?
                        > http://mail. yahoo.com
                        >

                        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                        > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
                        this month.

                      • Jason Cozzi
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009

                          Donna

                          I have ordered both marriage and death for Teresa Espotio and Andrea Pinto.

                          Thanks for the tip on searching.

                          Speak soon – its late this end!

                          Jason

                          Nice to hear from you again - shame about those pictures.  I haven't been very active lately by Frank has got my interest all stirred up again now.  If I remember correctly was your Teresa Boffa not daughter of Giulio Boffa and Rachela Gasparro or am I thinking of someone else?  Francesco's parents were Vincenzo Boffa and Maddalena Vaccaro.  Lena (Vince & Paul's mum???) would have been Francesco's niece and I think her father was possibly Antonio??, Francesco's brother.  Am I on the right track??
                          Speak soon
                          Tina

                          After alot of research, and some family confirmation, I can help you
                          fill in the blanks here.

                          It was in fact Ugo and Vincenzo that went to Chicago. Ugo changed his
                          name to "Joe", and his last name to "Buffo..." He was my great
                          grandfather. Vincenzo changed his name to James. I have this side of
                          the family about 95% complete. Joe married twice, and James three
                          times. Once I have the third wife for James, I will be 100% complete.

                          Now that we can make this connection, hopefully you can help me fill
                          in the brother and sisters that stayed in Italy.

                          --- In senerchia-italy@ yahoogroups. com, Tina Alu <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:

                          > Donna
                          > I haven't been able to trace him either. I was told he emigrated to
                          the USA with his 2 oldest sons who I think were Ugo and Vincenzo and
                          that they went to Chicago. I know my great-grandmother definitely
                          went back to Senerchia - she's buried there and there is history of
                          the other children. As far as Francesco's siblings go I think there
                          was a brother called Antonio, I didn't even know about Violanda and
                          then I go blank. Don't know if there is anything else you can find.
                          > Thanks
                          > Tina
                          >

                          > D K <dmkitaly@.. .> wrote:
                          > Tina, there's nothing new in the files for Boffa/Vaccaro siblings. I
                          did not have any luck on ancestry looking for Francesco Boffa.
                          > Donna K
                          >
                          > tinaalu96 <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:
                          > John, Daniel, Donnas
                          > Do you have any further information on Violanda's family. My great-
                          > grandfather Francesco Boffa is also a child of Vincenzo Boffa &
                          > Maddalena Vaccaro thus obviously Violanda's brother. I know there were
                          > other siblings but have not traced them all yet. Any help in filling
                          > in my gaps on his side would be much appreciated. I know he went to
                          > America from England with his 2 oldest sons and his wife Gelsomina
                          > Trimarco went back to Senerchia with the other children, the youngest
                          > of whom was my grandfather Gerardo.
                          > Many thanks
                          > Tina

                          > Do You Yahoo!?
                          > http://mail. yahoo.com
                          >

                          > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                          > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
                          this month.

                        • D K
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009

                            Hi Tina, Jason and Frank
                            I don't have siblings for Teresa Boffa or for her Boffa grandparents.
                            Her parents are:
                            Giulio born 1822 died Jul 28 1878; married Mar 18 1866 to Rachela Gasparro born 1843.
                            Giulio's parents are Giulio and Teresa Grasso. I have to wonder if Giulio's father was deceased when he was born since he is named for him (this was the case with my grandfather/greatgrandfather).
                            Donna

> [...]

                            > Trimarco went back to Senerchia with the other children, the youngest
                            > of whom was my grandfather Gerardo.
                            > Many thanks
                            > Tina

                            > Do You Yahoo!?
                            > http://mail. yahoo.com
                            >

                            > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                            > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
                            this month.

                            Hi Frank
                            I was wondering whether there was a remote chance that we were connected when I saw your name, but I couldn't believe it when I read your last posting.  I have been trying to find the two brothers and that's one of the reasons I joined this group.  My dad has always wondered what happened to his grandfather and his uncles, he'll be really happy to know that I've found some information.
                            From the information I have Vincenzo was the oldest born in 1892, then Ugo in 1895.  They both went to Chicago from London with their father Francesco and no-one knew any more.  The next one was a sister called Maddalena born in 1897 - all my dad remembers about her is that she got married and left the village, he remembers one of her children getting married and going to the wedding but that's about it.  Next one was Raffaele born 1900, he lived in Senerchia and I actually remember him too.  He had 2 sons - Umberto and Franco.  Umberto lives here in London, just up the road and Franco lives in San Remo in Italy and we usually see him every year in Senerchia.  Next one was a sister called Bettina (Elisabetta) born 1903 who is actually buried in Senerchia and she still has family in the village.  Last one was my grandfather Gerardo who was born in London in 1905 and my dad was the only child he had with my grandmother.  He left Senerchia to come and work in London and never went back.  He had 3 further children with another woman who I believe was a cousin over here in London.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                              Great! Let me know how you make out.
                              Donna

                              After alot of research, and some family confirmation, I can help you
                              fill in the blanks here.

                              It was in fact Ugo and Vincenzo that went to Chicago. Ugo changed his
                              name to "Joe", and his last name to "Buffo..." He was my great
                              grandfather. Vincenzo changed his name to James. I have this side of
                              the family about 95% complete. Joe married twice, and James three
                              times. Once I have the third wife for James, I will be 100% complete.

                              Now that we can make this connection, hopefully you can help me fill
                              in the brother and sisters that stayed in Italy.

                              --- In senerchia-italy@ yahoogroups. com, Tina Alu <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:

                              > Donna
                              > I haven't been able to trace him either. I was told he emigrated to
                              the USA with his 2 oldest sons who I think were Ugo and Vincenzo and
                              that they went to Chicago. I know my great-grandmother definitely
                              went back to Senerchia - she's buried there and there is history of
                              the other children. As far as Francesco's siblings go I think there
                              was a brother called Antonio, I didn't even know about Violanda and
                              then I go blank. Don't know if there is anything else you can find.
                              > Thanks
                              > Tina
                              >

                              > D K <dmkitaly@.. .> wrote:
                              > Tina, there's nothing new in the files for Boffa/Vaccaro siblings. I
                              did not have any luck on ancestry looking for Francesco Boffa.
                              > Donna K
                              >
                              > tinaalu96 <tinaalu96@. ..> wrote:
                              > John, Daniel, Donnas
                              > Do you have any further information on Violanda's family. My great-
                              > grandfather Francesco Boffa is also a child of Vincenzo Boffa &
                              > Maddalena Vaccaro thus obviously Violanda's brother. I know there were
                              > other siblings but have not traced them all yet. Any help in filling
                              > in my gaps on his side would be much appreciated. I know he went to
                              > America from England with his 2 oldest sons and his wife Gelsomina
                              > Trimarco went back to Senerchia with the other children, the youngest
                              > of whom was my grandfather Gerardo.
                              > Many thanks
                              > Tina

                              > Do You Yahoo!?
                              > http://mail.. yahoo.com
                              >

                              > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                              > For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good
                              this month.

                              Hi Frank
                              I was wondering whether there was a remote chance that we were connected when I saw your name, but I couldn't believe it when I read your last posting.  I have been trying to find the two brothers and that's one of the reasons I joined this group.  My dad has always wondered what happened to his grandfather and his uncles, he'll be really happy to know that I've found some information.
                              From the information I have Vincenzo was the oldest born in 1892, then Ugo in 1895.  They both went to Chicago from London with their father Francesco and no-one knew any more.  The next one was a sister called Maddalena born in 1897 - all my dad remembers about her is that she got married and left the village, he remembers one of her children getting married and going to the wedding but that's about it.  Next one was Raffaele born 1900, he lived in Senerchia and I actually remember him too.  He had 2 sons - Umberto and Franco.  Umberto lives here in London, just up the road and Franco lives in San Remo in Italy and we usually see him every year in Senerchia.  Next one was a sister called Bettina (Elisabetta) born 1903 who is actually buried in Senerchia and she still has family in the village.  Last one was my grandfather Gerardo who was born in London in 1905 and my dad was the only child he had with my grandmother.  He left Senerchia to come and work in London and never went back.  He had 3 further children with another woman who I believe was a cousin over here in London.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                                Tradition is usually to name the first son after the fathers father. Second son after mothers father. First daughter after mothers mother, second daughter after fathers mother.

                                I'm curious if Giulio was brothers with Vincenzo (who married Vaccaro)
                                I have his father as Giovanni, and nothing for Giovanni's wife.

                                --- In senerchia-italy@yahoogroups.com, D K <dmkitaly@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Tina, Jason and Frank
                                > I don't have siblings for Teresa Boffa or for her Boffa grandparents.
                                > Her parents are:
                                > Giulio born 1822 died Jul 28 1878; married Mar 18 1866 to Rachela Gasparro born 1843.
                                > Giulio's parents are Giulio and Teresa Grasso. I have to wonder if Giulio's father was deceased when he was born since he is named for him (this was the case with my grandfather/greatgrandfather).
                                > Donna

                              • D K
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                                  Frank,
                                  Yes, I agree with your description of the the naming tradition. The exception is when the father dies before the birth of the child. Then there is the option of naming the child after his father. So, are you saying that the father of Vincenzo Boffa (who married Maddalena Vaccaro) is Giovanni? I don't have that. If you don't mind my asking, what is your source? Do you know Giovanni's estimated date of birth? I'm not seeing how Giulio and Vincenzo could be brothers....
                                  Donna

                                  Tradition is usually to name the first son after the fathers father. Second son after mothers father. First daughter after mothers mother, second daughter after fathers mother.

                                  I'm curious if Giulio was brothers with Vincenzo (who married Vaccaro)
                                  I have his father as Giovanni, and nothing for Giovanni's wife.

                                  --- In senerchia-italy@ yahoogroups. com, D K <dmkitaly@.. .> wrote:

                                  > Hi Tina, Jason and Frank
                                  > I don't have siblings for Teresa Boffa or for her Boffa grandparents.
                                  > Her parents are:
                                  > Giulio born 1822 died Jul 28 1878; married Mar 18 1866 to Rachela Gasparro born 1843.
                                  > Giulio's parents are Giulio and Teresa Grasso. I have to wonder if Giulio's father was deceased when he was born since he is named for him (this was the case with my grandfather/ greatgrandfather ).
                                  > Donna

                                • Denise
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009

                                    Frank:

                                    You and everyone else is so welcome.  This is exactly why I started this… for people to make connections to family!  Great job!

                                    I believe there was a Boffa who testified at the probating of my great grandfather’s will back in 1909.  I believe he was a witness to Federico Papa’s will.

                                    Denise