Can someone search the UK census for me?

  • dmkitaly
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2005
      Hi all, have just found my gguncle's "missing Ellis Island manifest".
      I am hoping that someone can search the UK census for me. Sorry, all
      I know is that he sailed from Southampton...

      My gguncle's name is Antonio Papa and he was born in Senerchia in
      1868. There are some differences from the Ellis data and the US
      census data I have on him, but I'm fairly sure this is his record.

      The manifest says he sailed from Southampton on the SS St. Paul in
      Dec. 1895. He was 27 and single.

      The 1900 US census says he was married 3 years, born in 1862 and was
      38, came to the US in 1893, occupation is organ grinder.

      The 1910 US Census says he was married 11 years, age 40, came to the
      US in 1895, occupation is organ player.

      Thanks, Donna K.
    • jasoncozzi
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
        Hi Donna K,
        I am a new member who joined this week.
        You have certainly done some work!
        I am slowly trawling through emails on the group and notice your
        email from April requesting assistance with the UK census.
        Well I am happy to help if you did not find anyone!
        I have not used the UK online census very much so I am a bit of a
        novice but if you guide me I will certainly help wherever I can -
        just let me know.
        You might note that I am looking to trace my grandfather Michele
        Angleo Cozzi. He was thought to have been born in 1904 in London (no
        birth record on the census) but I found one in 1905 of the same name
        so I have ordered the birth certificate and hopefully this will give
        me a real link with his past. There is very little "official"
        documentation on my grandfather in the UK and this has made my search
        very difficult - even his death certificate gives an English name
        (with no middle name). We have no marraige certificate (not found)
        and no descendents. However, what I do know is he was close to the
        Papa's, Bazonni's and Boffa's in London and Kent. I heard from some
        family members that he was closely linked with the organ grinders and
        ran ice cream factories in Kent. I hope that Donna C will also see
        this message and perhaps shed any light?

        It is a shame we have so few members from the UK at the moment.
        Anyhow let me know if I do anyhting for you.

        Thanks
        Jason

        --- In senerchia-italy@yahoogroups.com, "dmkitaly" <dmkitaly@y...>

      • dawells2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
          In a message dated 07/23/2005 6:54:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, discoverwine@... writes:

          Bazonni's

          Jason:  Do you think this is Mazzoni / Mazzone?  I haven't heard the name Bazzoni yet, and we have found no records in Senerchia with that name.  Given the handwriting discrepancies out in the world, this could very well be Mazzoni / Mazzone.  If you have access to that name written, you might want to look at it again.

          Denise
        • dawells2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
            In a message dated 07/23/2005 6:54:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, discoverwine@... writes:

            It is a shame we have so few members from the UK at the moment.
            Anyhow let me know if I do anyhting for you.

            It is a shame that we have few members from the UK.  Many Senerchesi settled in the UK.... Clerkenwell is an area that held many Italian immigrants.  I also understand there were numerous Senerchesi in Manchester.  In your surfing, if you find anyone in the UK research Senerchia ancestors, or people with the same surnames as we have found in Senerchia, you might invite them to join this list.

            Growth in numbers of participants on this list can bring growth in our research, and an opportunity to meet potential relatives you never knew you had.

            Denise
          • dmkitaly
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
              Jason,
              Yes, I still need help with the UK census. I know it's like a needle
              in a haystack... Thanks for offering to help me!
              Donna K

              --- In senerchia-italy@yahoogroups.com, "jasoncozzi"
            • dawells2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                In a message dated 07/23/2005 9:58:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dmkitaly@... writes:

                Jason,
                Yes, I still need help with the UK census. I know it's like a needle
                in a haystack... Thanks for offering to help me!
                Donna K

                Donna:

                Are you looking at the 1901?  Isn't that online with the LDS?  I haven't looked at that site in a while, but was thinking it was.

                Denise
              • dmkitaly
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                  Denise,
                  1901 is too late. I think he sailed from Southampton in 1895.
                  Donna

                  > Donna:
                  >
                  > Are you looking at the 1901? Isn't that online with the LDS? I
                  haven't
                  > looked at that site in a while, but was thinking it was.
                  >
                  > Denise
                • Jason Cozzi
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                    there is a good chance I have got it wrong - it was one of my fathers verbal stories that gave me this name (not a written document).
                    However, I did find some Bazzoni's coming from Senerchia - I shall have to dig out where I got this info and let you know.
                    Jason

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 23, 2005
                      In a message dated 07/23/2005 11:24:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time, discoverwine@... writes:

                      However, I did find some Bazzoni's coming from Senerchia - I shall have to dig out where I got this info and let you know.

                      Yes, let me know.  But that could still be some typo.  We (Donna C, Donna K and I) have all been through the LDS films and I don't believe we've ever seen that name in Senerchia.  That's why I think it's a typo.  Also, there are Mazzoni / Mazzone connected to my family.  My grandfather's sister, Mariuccia Papa (Mary Pope) married Matteo Mazzone (Matthew Mazzone).  Matteo was one of many siblings born to Zaccaria Mazzone and Mariantonia Cozzi.