Italian middle names

  • rocketace2222
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I hope all is well. I encountered a bit of confusion on Italian
      middle names. I know that the surname comes first, but when there are
      two names after the surname, which is the first name and which is the
      middle name as we know it in English?

      On a record I recived from Podargoni the entry is written for my
      great-great-grandparents on my grandfathers side:

      Birth Record:
      CATALANO Nunziato Salvadore di Domenico e CALABRO Rosa.
      MORENA Maria Giuseppa di Giorgio e MOSCATO Antonia.

      Marriage Record (thier marriage):
      CATALANO Salvadore e MORENA Maria celebrato a Podargoni.

      So in English is his name: Salvadore Nunziato Catalano or Nunziato
      Salvadore Catalano?

      So is her name: Maria Giuseppa Morena or Giuseppa Maria Morena?

      It seems to be written both ways.

      How does this appear on the records from Senerchia? Or currently in
      Italian naming?

      Thanks
      Pete
    • dawells2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2007
        Maria Giuseppa Morena of Giorgio Morena (father) and Antonia Moscato (mother)

        Nunziato Salvadore Catalano of Domenico Catalano (father) and Rosa Calabro (mother)

        Sometimes their middle names were used, but from what you have supplied, I would say it is the above.