visiting senerchia-advice needed,please

  • smithjohn.1000
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I haven't typed in for a few weeks but I've watched all the
      correspondence with great interest. I want to visit Senerchia early in
      November this year for the first time. I have no idea what gives
      locally at that time of year. Things like places to stay (do they
      mostly close for the winter by then) - are most restuarants still open
      at that time of year and - am I likely to be rained-off in November?

      I shall be most grateful for any help anyone can give. My roots are
      based mainly in the Piemonte and Marino families and I want to see
      where they all came from.

      Best regards

      John.
    • MARIA PIZZA
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi John

        Senerchia is very quiet after the August mass exodus.  The village comes alive in August.  The rest of the year it is quite quiet and it also gets very cold.  I can ask my brother-in-law who lives in Senerchia whether the bars remain open in November.  You can view photos of the village on my website:  www.picasaweb.google.co.uk/mariapizza02
        The only hotel in the village is brand new and never been opened and is currently up for sale.
        You may be better off staying in Oliveto and visiting Senerchia from there.

        Regards
        Maria

        "smithjohn.1000" <smithjohn.1000@...> wrote:
        Hi everyone,

        I haven't typed in for a few weeks but I've watched all the
        correspondence with great interest. I want to visit Senerchia early in
        November this year for the first time. I have no idea what gives
        locally at that time of year. Things like places to stay (do they
        mostly close for the winter by then) - are most restuarants still open
        at that time of year and - am I likely to be rained-off in November?

        I shall be most grateful for any help anyone can give. My roots are
        based mainly in the Piemonte and Marino families and I want to see
        where they all came from.

        Best regards

        John.

      • Virginia Babin
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007

          Oh, The street is Corso Garibaldi.  It is not a fancy place but clean and a large room.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007

            Hi I’m new at this, but there is a place to stay in Senerchia.  We stayed there last May.  Maria has several rooms (large bedroom and bath with a balcony and view directly up the main street) on the upper level.  Eugenia Giudice lives next door.  Her husband usually sits outside watching the town activity.   Maria has a pizzeria down stairs, but I don’t recall a sign or name of her place.  We paid about 30 to 50 Euros a night.  Sorry I don’t recall the name of the place.  It is gated and there is a large patio in front of the pizzeria.  If you are interested I can email some photos we took while there, you’ll find it.

            Virginia Riggio-Babin

            Vancouver Washington

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
              Hi Maria and Virginia

              Many thanks for the info. From the sound of it, if its likely to be
              cold and wet I'd be better to wait until the weather improves next
              spring. At least now I'll have some idea of where to stay - the place
              you suggest Virginia in the Corso Garibaldi sounds ideal Again, many
              thanks.

              Regards

              John
            • rocketace2222
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
                Hi Maria,

                How are you doing? Thanks for posting the link to the photos. It
                looked like everyone had a great time.

                Pete

                --- In senerchia-italy@yahoogroups.com, MARIA PIZZA <maria.pizza@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi John
                >
                > Senerchia is very quiet after the August mass exodus. The
                village comes alive in August. The rest of the year it is quite
                quiet and it also gets very cold. I can ask my brother-in-law who
                lives in Senerchia whether the bars remain open in November. You can
                view photos of the village on my website:
                www.picasaweb.google.co.uk/mariapizza02
                > The only hotel in the village is brand new and never been opened
                and is currently up for sale.
                > You may be better off staying in Oliveto and visiting Senerchia
                from there.

                > Regards
                > Maria
              • falmouth30
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 27, 2007
                  --- In senerchia-italy@yahoogroups.com, "smithjohn.1000"
                  <smithjohn.1000@...> wrote:

                  > Hi everyone,
                  >
                  > I haven't typed in for a few weeks but I've watched all the
                  > correspondence with great interest. I want to visit Senerchia early
                  in
                  > November this year for the first time. I have no idea what gives
                  > locally at that time of year. Things like places to stay (do they
                  > mostly close for the winter by then) - are most restuarants still
                  open
                  > at that time of year and - am I likely to be rained-off in
                  November?

                  > I shall be most grateful for any help anyone can give. My roots
                  are
                  > based mainly in the Piemonte and Marino families and I want to see
                  > where they all came from.
                  >
                  > Best regards
                  >
                  > John.

                  Hi John
                  I don't know if this any help but my grandfather Michele Severino's
                  sister Gelsomina was married to Giustino Marino DEc. 1908 in
                  Senerchia, they had a daughter Marianna Oct. 1909. There is a record
                  of a Giustino Marino arriving in New York 29th Apr 1910. Gelsomina &
                  Marianna DEc. 1919. Hope this helps.
                  Maria