Re: [senerchia-italy] Emiddio Papa and Theresa Papa/Teresa Boffa/Teresa Cozzi.

  • Jason Cozzi
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6 4:21 AM
      Information for Tina/Martin/John/Rosanna/anyone else:

      I have finally managed to make some progress on Theresa Boffa and where she fits into the Cozzi/Boffa/Papa lines:

      Confirmed by Official Documents:

      Theresa Boffa (maiden name)
      Year of Birth: 1878 (+/- 1 year, thought to be Senerchia, Italy but maybe Nice, France)
      Died: 8th October 1938 aged 60 (Islington, London).
      Person who registered the birth was: Michael Cozzi (son) - my Grandfather and born as "Angelo Michele Cozzi" in London 1905.
      Theresa's husband was listed as: Emiddio Papa, an ice cream vendor (this was Theresa's second marraige).
      Note: We are almost certain that Theresa is the sister of "Vincenzo Boffa" (who married Maddalena Vaccaro in Senerchia, Italy).
      Question 1: Can Denise or either Donna's check for a birth of Theresa Boffa in Senerchia on or around this time?
      Question 2: Does anyone have a marraige date (Gravesend/Colchester/London, UK) for Theresa & Emiddio?

      Theresa's first marraige was to "Antonio Cozzi" (late 1890's - 1905) most probably in Senerchia as I have checked UK records and cannot find anything. Antonio Cozzi was thought to have been born on/around 1864 (+/- 1 years in Senerchia).
      I have a death certificate for an Antonio Cozzi in 1934 (London) aged 70 years (formerly an ice cream vendor).
      Person who registered the death is: F.Cozzi (daughter of  the deceased).
      Address for both is: 27 Lloyds Row, Clerkenwell, London.
      Question 3: Can Denise or either Donna's check for a birth of Antonio Cozzi in Senerchia on or around this time?
      Question 4: Does anyone know of/or have a link to a "F.Cozzi" (female, living in Clerkenwell) in the 1930's?

      As far as I can make out, both me and Dawn (my cousin and also a member of this group) are distant relations to Martin Pope (through Papa line), Tina (through Boffa line), Rosanna (through Boffa line) and John Mazzone (through Papa/Mazzone line). Would love to hear your comments and any further information you can add or help with to confirm further relations etc...

      My uncle who is now in his 70's has said he knew that his father had a step brother called "Carlo Papa" (Emiddio's first son from 1st marraige to Carolina Sessa - if my memory serves me correctly?). He visited them in Gravesend many times.
      In the past I have been confused by the fact that Luigi Papa also had a first son called Carlo from his first marraige - so I always made the connection (wrongly) to Luigi and Theresa marrying (a 4th wife) but alas I know this not to be the case now.

      My understanding is that Luigi and Emiddio arrived in the UK from Senerchia and first stayed in Portsmouth then perhaps Colchester (I have a marraige of Anni Rossi and Luigi Papa there in 1913) and finally settling in Gravesend with a bit of an ice cream empire as it were.

      Lastly, my uncle Johnny (born as Michael after his father) has recently discovered a Papa living in his town (near Darlington) - they have known each other for a number of years yet surprisingly never mentioned each others surnames!! Anyhow, this Papa (an antique dealer) is pulling together all his family history and the 3 of us will meet up in the next month or so to discover any possible links between us (I will suggest he joins the group). He has said that his family came from Senerchia and first moved to the UK and lived in Portsmouth and then onto Gravesend and were associated with the Papa ice cream makers. He also spent some time in Scotland (Glasgow) were some of his Papa family set up an ice cream business. He knew of Luigi Papa in Gravesend. I will update the group when I have further info.

      Would appreciate any help or comments,

      Many Thanks
      Jason Cozzi

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6 7:27 AM
        Jason,
        1. There is only one birth record for a Teresa Boffa who was born on July 14, 1873 to Giulio and Rachela Gasparro.
        2. At this time we have no data on Teresa Boffa marrying Emiddio Papa in Senerchia.
        3. We do not have births prior to 1866. There is a marriage record in Jan/Feb 1894 for Antonio Cozzi marrying Teresa Papa, but I don't have any details on that right now.
        4. No data at this time for F. Cozzi.
        Donna K